Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another young woman attacked by a male. When will it end?

Options

Comments

Even without women being told to do the same, most of that list is pure craziness and terribly impractical. How does it work with crossing the road, when there's women on both sides of the road, including those in front, and behind you? I can just imagine, say, 10 men jumping from one side of the road to another whenever a woman appears, getting stuck off the footpaths and the traffic accidents reports skyrocketing. Even without the Traffic accidents, it sounds like a performance in a musical. Frogger, the musical, coming to a road near you.

Or maybe men should stop attacking, raping and murdering women. I think that's a better solution.

That's a great idea. By God I think you have solved it, helto. I'm nominating you for a Nobel Prize! The World is a safer place thanks to your efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Constant harassment. Just constant everyday bombardment of harassment. I'm sure you can't move for the harassment.

Get over yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I guess the media focuses more on attacks on females than on males because women are more vulnerable? Like, if we continued down the spectrum of vulnerability to elderly people or small children, would you say that attacks on these deserve more attention than attacks on adult men? (with the proviso that all attacks are reprehensible, of course)

The other thing that might be a factor is that by and large, these attacks are usually carried out by men.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I think women probably know that their views would not exactly receive a ringing endorsement at this sausage fest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭opendoors

you are blaming the majority for the actions of a minority, which is both childish and silly.

I did not blame them. But for women it always a man. So they say "men" and when they do men say not all men instead of realising it's a crazy way to live as a woman not knowing if they are in there own and a man walks behind if there safe . Im a father of tree sons and four daughters not a raging feminist woman that thinks men need to die. I just think men need to man up

• Registered Users Posts: 18,831 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Boards.ie has gone very American it seems....????

I am not sure whether the above post is serious. But that was my first thought. That poster is framing Ireland with an Americanised internet type narrative. And even aping the phrases from over there.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I get it, but isn't that a crazy way to live your life? Constantly in fear of every male stranger because of a negligible chance they may do you harm.

Why do women not feel the same fear hopping into a car that could kill them in a crash?

There's a hundred other examples of things that are more likely, but here we are with a society where women fear 50% of the population, and that 50% is told to man up and fix it by literally making themselves MORE of a stranger. It's completely backwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I am a woman & i see it in the MSM men are being attacked from all sides particularly white men. Women can also be responsible for the bad things that happen to them but didnt george Hook say that on his radio show and he was cancelled ? So the all out attack on men is coming from a media narrative thence the out pouring of outrage. Notice they did say a white man attacked the girl in kilkenny if he had been black one they wouldnt have mentioned the colour.....

No. It seems reasonable discussion is impossible because two or three people are intent on trolling by blaming all men for rape and attacks on women.

I expect once moderators see this thread, it will be shut down as is what usually happens and then others will blame toxic masculinity or some other bullshit is the reason.

And the cycle will continue

I don't believe your a woman and know who George hook is 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,831 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Some recent CSO statistics regarding - (Attempts/threats to murder, assaults, harassments and related offences)

Higher number of assaults among young people -

'The overall number of persons recorded as victims of Group 03 incidents (Attempts/threats to murder, assaults, harassments and related offences) during Q2 2021 was 552 higher (+12.9%) than in the corresponding period in 2020. The numbers of male victims and female victims were both higher (by 14% for males, and 11.7% for females) than a year earlier, and the largest changes were among persons aged under 18, where for males the number of victims was higher by 57.6% and for females the number of victims was higher by 48.8%.'

The greatest percentage of change has been among recorded crime victims - to males under 18 - 57.6%

The second greatest percentage of change has been among recorded crime victims - to females under 18 - 48.8%

In answer to the OP violence will never end in general. It is inherent in the human condition. This can also be exacerbated by a change in the societal condition.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

I'd look at the post count and the join date before I'd bother conversing

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/mother-of-student-paralysed-in-assault-thanks-ireland-for-support-1.3844425

This guy was over 6ft tall. Left paralysed and brain damaged.

He wasn't a small guy and he wasn't a small female. Would you like to tell him or his family about his privilege

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So like, if I go into a gym, and there's women in there, do I have to cough loudly to get everyones attention, tell everyone I'm directing this at the women, and say "I'm not a rapist, please feel safe while you go about your business". Then all the other men in there will high five me because they all did the same and we're making the world a better place?

Or should I just go in, head down, music in, do my bit and leave? (tbh, I don't go to gyms anymore)

Just identify yourself as a woman while in the gym and you wont have to. Remember now these days you can be whatever gender you want and people can't discriminate regardless of surgery.

Worlds gone mad.

with the population density increasing that stuff gets hard to do..... best to put men under curfew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,994 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

How is a woman more vulnerable? Is getting randomly attacked different if you got boobs or are old? They focus on women because the attacks on men are so common they aren't reported on any more. As I said in my earlier post someone else suffered serious injuries in an attack the same night Jack Woolley was attacked, this didn't even get a mention anywhere in the press yet this person suffered life changing injuries. Men are attacking other men also, why aren't there protests in the streets when men are killed?

The problem in this country isn't that men are attacking women it's that people are getting away with violent assaults everyday and now when it's a affected a few women it's a big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time after closing time you might be attacked I think any incident involving a woman gets full press coverage 2 males fighting or attacking another man may get no coverage unless the victim is seriously injured. These people may be under the influence of illegal drugs which can cause some people to act violently or agreesively to any person they see on the street for no logical reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sad as it is to say, but the answer to the question posed in the thread title, is never.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

And the scumbag Osborne got 8 1/2 years in jail for destroying his life.

Lovely **** country.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭SamStonesArm

Of course women are not to blame. Most men don't attack people either.

I bet ya have purple hair 🤣

The question on whether these attacks are more common - or is media reporting more common - is useful given books like Pinkers "Better Angels of Our Nature". Which seems to show that while we read about such crimes - the actual statistics are trending down.

Confounding this of course is that if more people report crimes it is entirely possible for statistics on such crimes to go up even when actual incidents of those crimes stagnate or go down.

The last two years have been a period of tension, uncertainty, anxiety and more. I can entirely believe this has had a disproportionate effect on statistics.

What can be done? Who knows. But whatever the solution(s) I do not think it lies in making this a gender issue - or holding men accountable for a small minority of nut jobs who are also men. That makes as much sense to me as holding men with mustaches accountable for the actions of Hitler.

Normal people are normal people. Which is most of us. Absolute irredeemable scum is exactly that too. But I suspect that is a very small minority.

In between those two I suspect - going on just my personal experience - there are some "scum" we can "save". Who and how is the question.

In my own locality there was a group of kids who were pretty bad. Some people parroting the usual "irredeemable", "Just Scum" "Lock them up" narratives. One example of many - these kids were doing things like following an old lady who was struggling with the weight of her shopping - and verbally intimidating her and physically jostling her.

I ended up stepping in with these kids - which in retrospect was pretty damn dumb. I could have been killed for all I knew.

But I got to know them and change them and they turned out to be really lovely kids. And when Covid hit we did things like bring shopping to old ladies who needed to isolate. Some of their gardening. And more recently they sat and had cookies baked by one of the little old ladies and listened to her tell stories of her child hood in Ireland.

When I left Ireland for some weeks awhile back I came back to Dublin Airport to find they had made a huge 10 foot long banner in all colors with a welcome home message for me. Very thoughtful.

So I wonder at times how many are actually lost to us. My anecdote is a single anecdote. So we can not use it to leap to any ideas or conclusions. But the experience moved me so deeply that I can not hear phrases like "scum are just scum" quite the same way any more. How many actually are?

What a lot of kids need is just an investment of some time. But often as parents or as a society or as individuals we do not have that time to offer. I had a bit and I invested it. And the results were transformative. Both for them and for me. One of the truly rewarding highlights of my life that will be with me on my death bed.

Can I translate that positive experience into anything useful to answer a thread like this however? Probably not. But if someone came to me asking questions like on this thread about "What can I actually do to have any impact on these statistics of violence that is not simply ridiculous virtue signalling" I would probably honestly say "Well I genuinely don't know" but then give some ideas for what _might_ help all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,053 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Rapes are committed by rapists , rapists are not normal people, a normal person cannot rape

• Registered Users Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

His sister attacked an elderly neighbour a year or two later.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I forgot about that.I tried that and his profile is private, looks like open doors isn’t so open doors after all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement