Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yet another young woman attacked by a male. When will it end?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭erlichbachman

Violence is an emotional response, the ability to assess the punishment for such action during, or prior to the act just doesn't exist. what your saying is, and using the theme of a man stalking a women for attack, that the individual will rationally asses that last week he was risking getting 5 years, and now he risks getting 15 years, so he will rationally decide that its not worth it, turn an walk back home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭hawley

I think that the reason why so many men comment on articles like this is that they feel that they don't have a voice in the media on this issue. The hashtag notallmen is basically a warning to anyone in the media not to make an argument like this. Ray D'arcy said that he's ashamed to be a man. It's victim blaming to accuse men of being responsible for poor behavior of other men.

The variability hypothesis suggests that men are outliers in every category. More men in remedial classes? Yes. More men doing both the best and worst jobs? Yes.

This also means that within the category of violent people men will also contain the outliers, containing the group with the most violent people(men). This however is a very small group that would be better tackled together as a society rather than a culture war men vs women thing. No one is protecting this group of people, no one condones their behaviour. Apart from maybe judge Nolan :p

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Specific targeted violence against women, coercive control, sexual assault- scum who commit it.

With Stephens green-a bit disingenuous of journalists I think to not mention the second incident and the seemingly random nature of same. When the case is heard, and if it turns out the second victim is male, what then? Yes, the same thoughts that its wrong and scummy to attack strangers on the street.

But deliberately phrasing headlines in such a way following a recent high profile case, in order to generate clicks is wrong imo.

"woman attacked" has a certain implication behind it. A headline of 2 people randomly attacked is another.

I can only assume the second victim is male, as otherwise the headline would be even juicier "two women attacked". How does the second victim feel there is absolutely no mention of their attack?

Regardless, I wont be surprised in X amount of time after the legal aid train, that it emerges the man has previous convictions for similar offences with victims both male and female. Convicted before, walking about soon after I reckon. It's the story with most headlines.

I like to read court cases when they're dealt with. Countless examples. Woman stabbed another to death, goes to jail. Out of jail, commits two robberies. Fully suspended sentence for those two. Victims for those two robberies who rang the guards, the guards who arrested her and convicted her. All rolling their eyes when the inevitable happens again.

Edit:I see since RTE have reported that the man appeared in court today charged with three random attacks. One woman and two men.

Lo and behold when you Google the accused mans name, there's an article from last year detailing his 78 previous convictions, many for assault.

Post edited by Get Real on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭thefallingman

it's never going to end unfortunately so the punishment needs to be severe with no get out clauses such as ah he had a hard life, or ah he came from a broken home or he has mental issues, millions of people have mental issues and don't go killing and raping people. These scum need to be locked up for life, or honestly hung if proved guilty of the most serious crimes.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't call it victim blaming myself. It's just stupid and ignorant.

Anyone attributing blame to all men for the actions of a few is just a **** idiot and best ignored.

White knighting twats, feminist arseholes and attention seeking bandwagon jumpers.

Sorry but I don't agree. A lot of the PC rubbish that became established in the US, did so, because people allowed it to spread without being resisted. The same has happened here in Ireland or the UK, with regards to the woke nonsense, or a lot of the more.. heavy handed feminist theories. When an idea is repeated endlessly, without people standing up to it, it will be considered as being accepted by the majority (even when the majority are oblivious), and so, influence others to accept it.

There is already too much emphasis in the media, and by our public figures, to push agendas without experiencing much in the way of resistance. I do think it's time that men truly start objecting to this crap, and defending their right to be treated fairly, as individuals, rather than based on our gender. Without that defence being applied, we're going to see a growth in scope of double standards being applied in society about the genders.

I mis-spoke there.

When I said "ignored", I meant that their opinion should be ignored and not given any credence. I should have said "dismissed". I didn't mean that we should just sit idly by and allow it.

My bad.

You're making assumptions when in actual fact you have no idea what I have and have not got a problem with. Instead you immediately go on the defensive.

When you're ready to talk about how to reduce the levels of violent attacks on our streets, instead of jumping down my throat, maybe we can have a discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Maybe men should stop getting so offended and actually listen to what is being said instead of getting angry on social media if that’s the case.

Forcing good men to feel guilty about crimes they haven't committed isn't going to solve this issue, dealing with the absolute filth who do is the only solution and hopefully if the punishment is severe enough it will act as a deterrent. Also the idea of all men should step in and help if they see these things happen, i've got news for you, alot of men are too gentle to tell their dog to f off let alone jump into a dangerous situation where they could easily end up the victim. By all means improve our education and manners and how to treat all people, but scum will always be scum and need to be treated differently imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭helto

A thread like this where crimes against women was being discussed was immediately hijacked by men who claim to be good guys but want to silence women discussing these issues. Decent guys will listen to women, listen to things they've had to endure and join them in trying to combat it. Men and women together against violent men.

Unfortunately, this thread, social media and in real life, there are strong anti women elements who shout down any discussion on male violence and rape. These men blame women for how **** their lives are. A lot of them struggle to attract women etc. These men are pathetic, we would just laugh at them except that their rhetoric is very dangerous. It has led to violent attacks against women and it will continue to do so. It's important we stamp out this movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

Yes but my point was just that these thugs do not engage in any sort of rational thought, never mind listening to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Great point, men are a varied lot, some big, strong and rough others quiet, sensitive and fearful, some big guys are skittish and would turn white in the face of violence other smaller guys would take on the world even if they hadn’t a hope of winning. Men learn all about this at an early age in the school yard. We know who the tough guys are and who definitely aren’t. We know who is smart, cunning we also know who is dumb and gullible. We get the measure of each other, we know who we can mess with and who we can’t. Which is why it’s ridiculous to hold all men responsible for the few violent ones. Particularly when some of these men will have been the victims of violence and bullying from other men in their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭crossman47

By the way, I hope people notice that the man up in court accused of assaulting a woman at Stephens Green is also accused of assaulting two men.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

You might as well ask after that group of young thugs racially abused the lion king cast, when is racism going to stop.

It won't stop while we have kids growing up in dysfunctional families in the city centre usually to single mothers, aided and abetted by an overly generous welfare state which removes any requirement to work to feed your family. I love how Lousie O' Reilly on TV3 last night somehow managed to blame the Guards for this in the first instance.

In other words bad people have always existed, do exist and will always exist. But uniquely in Ireland we reward bad behaviour with a generous and soft welfare state.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

"They're more focused in ranting about how "all men are being victimised", instead of focusing their attention on the actual problem that violent attacks on our streets (on both men and women) appear to be escalating. "

Are they escalating? Or do they appear to be?

I tried to find historical data on CSO but they don't make it readily available. I just don't see Ireland getting more dangerous year on year.

However, as media, social media etc is consumed more frequently, I can see the perception of crime or awareness increasing.

Paper never refuses ink, and a 24/7 news cycle needs shocking events to keep people hooked.

Most of the men i know are too old or not used to a life like that, don't get me wrong i will do anything to help we all have amazing women in our lives, i'm just questioning how,

• Advertisement

Violent men exist in all walks of life. We see sports stars who rape and abuse women. Men from upper class households have murdered women, male rapists can come from any socioeconomic background. The answer on how to remove these men from society is difficult to find but opposing women standing up for themselves is certainly not going to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

The woman in St Stephens Green was attacked by an African refugee with a history of mental illness and violent assaults. Are we allowed to have a conversation about the suitability or effectiveness of our vetting system?

Yep, he attacked one woman and two men on the same day.

It is outrageous the way it was reported by the media, the male victims were completely ignored.

And of course a non-Irish national. But it won't stop them banging on about "education" and "changing the culture". So dumb.

Jesus. Is that true?

Well that will be "yoinked" from the news cycle if so.

It seems like some men are more than happy to discuss male violence if it's committed by a foreigner but try to silence any talk of it otherwise. It's very strange. You should be against violent males no matter where they come from. It's not just an Irish issue. Violence against women happens worldwide.

Your post and the opinions you provided (which I quoted) is what I responded to. I'm not, in the least bit, on the defensive.. You're projecting again.

haha.. you set the tone with your first post to the thread (I could be mistaken over it being your first, but I don't think I am). You could have quoted my earlier posts seeking suggestions to resolve the situation, choosing to contribute to that part of the discussion but instead you chose something else entirely to go with. Complaints about the male posters on the thread.

Women can shout and scream all they want, it won't stop the nutjobs and bad men from doing all the things you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Although it will never totally completely stop these kind of events, sorting out the Gards and the judiciary would be a massive step towards removing “these men from society”… oddly, the Irish media seem to totally ignore this aspect and appear to prefer putting the onus on “other men” to sort this out.

It would be interesting to look at how many attacks are perpetrated by people who, in other societies with a proper judiciary, would not have the opportunity as they’d be in jail

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Get Real

Given he came to Ireland at the age of 12, unsure how much vetting comes into it. For me nationality doesn't and shouldn't come into it regardless. It's irrelevant. A violent person is a violent person.

What does come into it, with 78 previous convictions, many for assault, is our courts and sentencing system (once again).

• Advertisement

The figures speak for themselves. While the population increased by more than a third between 1996 and 2021, numbers collapsed at the end of the 90s, stabilised through the 2000s even while the population grew, and since 2017 have went through the floor.

1996 to 2000- 68 murders.

2017 to 2021- 24 murders.

not my post, but relevant to what you were asking: (scroll towards the middle of the page)

https://politics.ie/threads/woman-murdered-tullamore-co-offaly.284465/page-54#post-13443190

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement