Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing a Truck Camper from the Continent

• 02-02-2022 6:14pm

So, for various reasons I’m starting to think the best fit for me in my current situation is to have a truck camper (A truck camper, as they are known in North America, is a caravan that is not a trailer, but sits in the bed of a pickup truck). Now obviously alluding to the smaller size of pickup trucks here as opposed to North America models, they are a rarer beast this side of the pond. However, I have heard of German made & sold models on the Continent designed for our smaller wheelbases.

I suppose my plan is to get a decent pickup truck here, go to the continent and get one. Beyond that, I’ve no idea where to turn. If anyone here has any good ideas where to turn to get info on how much these should be costing (I’m thinking roughly 10k each for a used truck and used camper) or on getting campers/caravans/anything here from the continent, I’d love to hear from you!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,026 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Tax on any decent pickup is going to be a killer, you'll have to tax it on the old cc system as you are using it for purely private use. Getting insurance could be another problem as you can only get commercial insurance on commercial vehicles, you need a business/ job that requires a commercial vehicle, and none will cover it as a camper.

Thank you, not interested in “don’t do that because I think…”, much prefer “don’t do that because I have and I found…”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

They are called a "demountable camper" other than that I know noting about them. But, they are a very similar construction to caravans and bigger motor homes so watch out the panel movement over time letting in water that will eat them from the inside, a whiff of dam and walk away. Next storage, try to get one that was wintered in barn or storage shed at least under cover. After that image search them and figure out the layout you want. You need to know the truck bed in will fit on. If it was classic the tax would be 60ish euro but check insurance, would you be covered to add one to the pick up do you need special insurance....Try to find out all of this before you commit to buying one as the insurance would be a deal breaker.

This will send you down a very deep rabbit hole

go down to trailers in the below link

https://www.ts-export.com/page.php?page=about_motorhomes

even deeper

https://www.ts-export.com/page.php?page=about_toyota_landcruiser_motorhomes

Advertisement