Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

car insurance policy not what we asked for.

• 02-02-2022 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

In early January my wife rang our local insurance broker looking for a quote for our car insurance my wife being the main driver and our daughter (19 with full licence) and myself fully comprehensive, got a very competitive quote and checked again that it was fully comprehensive and the person said yes this a good price which we agreed paid over the phone all settled everyone happy. Today the same person rang saying there was a problem with our policy that our daughter was only covered for third party that the insurance company they insured us with were no longer giving comprehensive insurance to under 25s. I rang the broker and spoke to a different person and asked them how long was that the policy of the particular insurance company and I was told it was like that since October 2021. I then asked what would have happened if my daughter had crashed the car , I was told that the insurance wouldn't pay for our car. Is this true or would the brokerage have to pay as it was their mistake and obviously something has happened that they rang us today to inform us.

Post edited by Henry Ford III on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭HorseSea

What does it say on the certificate / schedule / policy booklet you would have been issued?

Insurer likely would not have paid but you may have had a claim against the brokers professional indemnity policy.

Regs in recent years require brokers/underwriters to issue masses of information to customers, statement of facts / benefit sheets / suitability statements etc etc etc, however all this has done is made it harder for the customer to easily see what they need to, buried in data.

You could request a copy of the call from the broker and see if they confirmed at the time comp applied. That would certainly strengthen a case, if you had ever have to make one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement