Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kind of stumped...

Options
  • 03-02-2022 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have been trying hard to lose weight since early December. Now, like most of us, I went a bit mad at Christmas and said yes to everything and said 'please sir, can I have some more' to others. I did Slimming World twice but I find the groups INCREDIBLY irritating. I loved it during the lockdown because the consultant didn't have a premium account on Zoom so it was 45 mins, in and out, lovely texts and if I couldn't make it he might give me a call and go through my week. It was actually perfect.

During Lockdown 2 I went from 15.5 stone to 13.5 stone and was delighted. Was running a lot as well and eating well but was having my usual few drinks at the weekend (prob drinking less now with pubs open!). Now I see that I am 14 stone and last year, if I stuck to the 'plan' I would lose around 2lbs a week if not more but I'm levelling out now. Not really sure why and I am tempted to rejoin the group (eugh...) but the yo-yoing is making me depressed and frustrated. I am considering going to a nutritionist to see what the story is but I thought I'd give my 'what I eat in a day' thing below to see where I am going wrong...

Breakfast

Handful of berries (blueberries and raspberries) and a few spoons of low fat natural yoghurt + decaf coffee w/ a drop of slim milk

Mid morning snack

Banana and an apple or a banana and a handful of grapes

Lunch

Always the same. Lunchbox with salad (lettuce, a few tomatoes, some peppers) along with some lunch meat (ham/turkey/chicken) and a bit of parmesan cheese.

Dinner

Usually a 'slimming world' dinner like... boxty pizza (one half for me, half for OH), bit of cheese, meats, peppers. Or 'taco chips' w/ lean mince, passatta, veggies, new potatoes put in the air fryer. Another thing we do a lot is a healthy spag bol (lean mince, veg, passata, seasonings, etc.) or a good steak, greens, few baby potatoes. Or chicken and couscous with some veg and stock etc. So the dinners are always lean meats, not processed, along with veg and a bit of carb.

Supper

Usually, at night, this is my DOWNFALL. I have a slim bagel (the 120 calorie ones), a scraping of light philadelphia, musturd, some meats, pickles, a small bag of light crisps (100 cal bags). This is usually what I ate every night, regardless. I might get a hunger pang before bed and might reach for a corn cake or two and that's me done

When it comes to the weekend I'm not as structured but it usually follows the above pattern more or less but I tend to skip lunch (because I get up later). I do drink, and would have a few usually on a Friday (maybe 6 cans of Coors or so), and then on Saturday I might have the same or a bit more (lol) but this didn't seem to slow the weight loss last year. I would get probably one take away a month and go for the healthier options if possible but it's very infrequent.

Activity

Dog walks shared with OH. Usually I do at least one (as he works from home) but I always get 10,000 steps in plus I run once a night. I do intervals where I run around 3-4k in around 22 mins or so and do this probably four-five times a week along with the walks.

Water intake

I love drinking water. I'd say I drink well beyond what I need (probably 2L a day) plus coffee, tea w/ slim milk, and one coke zero a day.

I don't feel that bad or groggy. Maybe I'm not eating enough during my working day? I am a creature of habit and good at sticking to things. I dunno, the booze might be the big factor here, but it didn't affect me last year (literally was 13.5 last September). Could it be the stress of going back to the office? Turning 35? Who f'in knows, but thought I tried so hard this week and haven't dropped a flipping pound and was 14.4 at the beginning of Jan and now am 14.1. EUGH! Any suggestions? I really REALLY don't want to go back to SW but maybe it keeps me in the right frame of mind. The focus on rewarding weight loss rather than an holistic approach (exercise and wellbeing) is kinda what I need. I suffer from anxiety and when I eat well, I feel better mentally. I feel good mentally so I dunno - completely stumped!

Any suggestions? Sorry, this was a bit long!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Looks like you are eating for 2 adults. Unless you are a teenager, I can't justify eating that much.

Low fat, usually means deficient food of nutrients and minerals. Despite fruits are a good source of vitamins, fruits means to be seasonal food.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

Thanks, GoogleBot. I wouldn't say that at all... I just went onto My Fitness Pal and logged all my calories from yesterday and I even erred on the side of caution and went for bigger portions, and it came out as 1500 calories. If I burn 700 calories from my runs and from walking (this I have on my fitbit), that leaves 900 calories... Then my resting energy burned. I dunno, still don't get it!

I just queried there with a dietician in my area (Hermitage) but they don't have an appointment til May so maybe I can just see what I can between now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Doesn't come across as eating for two adults to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

OP, can you add in something like cycling to and from work?

Activity level is quite OK as it stands but could up it? I usually go on two quick 15 min walks for exercise (morning and evening) and then do 20-30 mins of intervals of running which burns around 300 calories or more depending on how I'm feeling energy wise.

My OH thinks I'm not eating enough at all and after doing the MFP there maybe I'm not? I'm not keen on takeaways but do go out for dinner probably twice a month but even then I always go for a salad (no dressing) and might steal a few chips off my OH but that's it. I'll see what happens with the dietician but I can't go back to Slimming World where people talk utter sh!te. Totally fine if you can deal with that but my tolerance for it is gone!

(And also, I know it's a numbers game with calories and there's no mystery here but I dunno where it's coming from, I have to be doing something wrong)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jethrothe2nd

The supper and booze intake jump out straight away from a food/drink perspective. I would cut both completely, or if you don't want to cut the booze, significantly reduce it.

Ah, I couldn't cut out the booze! But have already cut down since Christmas but I suppose I didn't switch to the gins and went back to beautiful Coors.

Is the timing of the supper the issue or is it calories involved (or both?). I find that two hours after dinner I get hungry and then find it hard to sleep if I don't have something before bed. Any suggestions for alternatives?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Stop counting the calories burned, they're usually way out, easier just to use that as a bonus and focus on your intake, the food doesn't look bad but that's a lot of meals, it also reads like a lot more than 1500 calories start weighing the food to get a gauge on portions, also the 6 Cans (or more), that's huge, sorry but it is, cut that down, it'll kill progress, my 2c.

Yo-yo effect is a complete pita, structure and discipline are the only things to defeat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

I agree. Six cans of Coors Light is an extra 612 calories on two consecutive days.

Is Supper necessary? Could you have your dinner a bit later?

10,000 steps is an average amount of steps, don't use them as a reason to eat more. Try not to eat your exercise calories.

If you are going to use the MFP app make sure you weigh everything you eat, even the lettuce leaves and include the calories for any sugar, milk. If you eat it put it on the app. It is amazing how those hidden calories add up.

Beautiful cans... Oh to let them go and see what happens! I think I'll ditched them for the week.

Honestly, the meals around dinner are fairly pathetic looking. I'd give a child more food than I give myself. Like my lunch is a small lunchbox as I described above and two slices of meat. I used to be a big fan of the LowGI so maybe I'll go back on that and if I want a drink I'll go back to shorts. As said, I can be persistent and consistent with things but just to find out what to do to get out of where I am at is the issue!

• Advertisement

This is golden advice. I'll have my dinner later in the day for the rest of the week and see how I get on. Because my lunch and breakfast is so small I'm usually starving coming in. Maybe I'm just like pavlov's dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I like how they grey out the ignore list now... Anyway, it is calories in v calories out ultimately. fwiw I wouldn't be anti beers (probably anti-coors), as changes have to be sustainable. I do find maintenance easier if I only drink one night, although I've found my food choices around drink effect my weight more than beer.

I'd suggest at least tracking and weighing for a while to get a handle on portions. I find corn cakes/ rice cakes quite addictive, and can rattle up the calories fairly quick personally!

The fitness chef has a new book out - I haven't this book, but have others, and he's very good on sustainable changes.

God, I was totally anti-Coors myself (showing my age here, but was more of an IPA fan back when it was a thing) but the cult of Slimming World told me to drink Coors or Bud Lite (even worse) if I wanted a beer. Back to gins. I missed my lack of gin hangover.

I actually used to eat lots of corn cakes at my lightest (when I was 26/27) but now I can manage having one or two. But the chocolate ones... They're not crossing my lips for the foreseeable! I just want to get to where I'm happier with my shape but thankfully I'm mentally a lot better so time to sort the rest out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I personally don't see a lot of value in walking to lose weight. I don't think it's intense enough. I don't think of exercise in terms of calories burned either.

As already mentioned, cut out the supper I think. Have dinner slightly later.

I couldn't fathom having salad without some dressing, but that's just me. Maybe a slightly healthier/less calorie rich dressing is needed.

As for cutting out the booze at the weekend. try drinking just one less can, and then two less the following week. Have a different drink in between cans to spread it out.

I know... I ran a few HMs in my short, fluctuating life, and that's when I was at my lightest (imagine!). I had to curtail on the running for a bit because of an injury that's since rectified. I am going to be out on the roads again once the bright evenings come in but I am at least keeping going on the threadmill for now and jaysus it is flipping tough work! Harder than a slow pace 7km, which I used to do twice a week between shorter runs. I did love running (and still do) but don't think a HM or full marathon is ever going to happen for me again.

Sound, got loads of great ideas here. Going to give it a whirl and might get back to ye this day week to check in? See if anything shifts... Put it in my diary, even! Thanks all!

Just on the beer thing, I'd quite often swap out for non-alcolohic beers. Aldi's Roadworks "Early Start" N/A is only 40 calories a bottle, and tastes good enough that it deals with the Friday evening goo. I'd rather compromise on the alcohol than taste. Erdinger N/A is nice too - especially the Lemon. I found cutting down that way, rather than missing the bit of sit around and chatting over beers was more sustainable than dropping them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,750 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Your diet sounds a bit miserable, tbh, and I say that as someone who loves salad. You could eat an equivalent (or lower) amount of calories in a much, much more satisfying way if you learned to cook properly.

I'm 40, 5' 7" and 10 stone. My maintenance calories are 1,200 so I need to box clever with them. I eat twice a day (lunch and dinner) as it's just my natural eating pattern, and I never feel hungry between meals. I know I'm an outlier in this regard, but I 100% believe that snacking is a habit. Eat more/better at mealtimes and you shouldn't really feel the need to eat between them.

Lunch for me is generally a salad with lots of protein - poached egg/halloumi/black pudding/chicken/tuna. Sometimes nuts. Always mixed leaves because there's nothing more boring than a mono-leaf salad. Onions/peppers/carrots for crunch and colour. Fresh herbs, always. I don't like oily or creamy salad dressings so generally squeeze a wedge of lime over, it lifts everything right up.

Two-egg omelette are also a great option.

Dinner is always cooked from scratch. Curries, casseroles, tagines, chillies. Steak. Venison. Stuffed courgettes. More salads (I do really love salad). Lamb skewers. I love my carbs and have some with pretty much all dinners, but I always weigh them because it's very easy to overeat them.

I love my wine and have a glass or two with dinner most nights. I'm very lucky to not have a sweet tooth, though, and have no interest in crisps, popcorn etc. either.

I think if you can find a few recipes for dinners that satisfy you more (without adding calories), you'll be much happier. I also 100% find that the longer something takes to eat, the greater its satiety. Also, eat mindfully. Set the table, sit down properly and really enjoy your food. No TV, no tablets, no phones while eating. Use a knife and fork and put them down between each mouthful. It really, really makes a difference.

Food for fitness High Protein Handbooks - I knew I forgot a recommendation. Very good for satisfying meals.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

When were your weigh ins?

A week is probably too small a period to be obsessing over, what you're doing looks fine.

If you're logging correctly and in a deficit then just zoom out a little, any external forces can throw the scales off at the wrong time.

I was + 5lbs Monday over my usual weight after we had guests over the weekend, we had salty food and a few cans both nights, I retained a lot of fluid until Tuesday where it went back down.

Basically what I'm saying is spot checking is not that accurate, aim for 2lbs a month loss and you should see more progress

If you can thou, I'd probably cut the booze to 1 night, that will really help, and prep breakfast and dinner for the following day beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Seems very carb heavy and low fat stuff is muck. The fat is replaced with sugar. Also beers a killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You are eating way too much, which is the reason everyone is overweight.

You have to imagine eating less, which means when you eat you eat smaller amounts AND less eating sessions per day. How else could you eat less than thinking of it that way.

You don't need to eat anywhere near the amount of food you are eating per day. If you understand that you'll have it solved. Aim to eat 50% of the volume of food you usually eat. In reality you'll get to say 65%, which is just about right.

edit: once you get used to eating less your sense of hunger and how much your body expects to eat goes down as well. So no, you won't feel 'starved' for eating less.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I am shocked to see people saying this person is eating too much. A few berries and yoghurt for breakfast and a tiny salad for lunch? I would say you might not be eating enough.

Try eggs and wholemeal toast for breakfast, you can lash any veggies you like into your scramble/omelette, and add a full chicken breast or piece of fish with your lunchtime salad. Add some seeds for crunch and nutrition, and a home made dressing. Give yourself a good satisfying portion for dinner cooked from scratch. See if you are still ravenous at bedtime.

Maybe switch to spirits and diet soda for your few drinks.

You get loads of exercise in my view. Do you enjoy what you do? Adding a few sessions of weights can work wonders for your poor starved metabolism. Also doing things like dancing, roller skating etc is really fun instead of weight-loss-focused-torture.

For most people, most of the time it's calories in v calories out. In my n=1, I had to start weighing food, as invariably my guestimates were way off. And they still can be - a handful of nuts could be 15g or 25g - not a problem in off itself, but it can add up over a day. Notwithstanding that, (Again n=1) to your more substantive point, if I don't eat enough during the day, I'm more likely to binge in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Wonder any mechanism that suppose to control hunger and fulness factors and if there is what makes people to overeat?

Do I have to walk around with calculator to measure callories in and out?

Advertisement