Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

narrow alleyway shed impossible to buy

Options
  • 03-02-2022 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

im trying to find or have custom built a small narrow lean to shed, preferably steel, for the side of my house so as to use the space between my neighbours and myself. i say preferably steel because it would have to be virtually maintenance free because of the narrow area involved.

it would have to be 3 ft wide but can go anywhere up to 12 feet in length, mainly to store bicycles and some tools.

ive phoned about 30 places so far but no one can made it that size, it seems they all but them in at the standard sizes.

would anyone here have gotten one before or know somewhere that might make made to order sizes

any advice or help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

get a local handyman / carpenter type to build one between your house wall and the dividing wall or fence - I see guys advertising this on FB quite a bit. Treated wood is fine for this sort of thing with a polycarbonate roof, steel would be a lot more difficult to organise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Agreed, a wood structure between you and next door will work fine. It will not have any external timberwork apart from the two ends which you can access anyway, and a slightly sloping polycarbonate roof will be fine, just don't have water going in next door. The timber will all be accessible - though it will last as long as metal as it will all be undercover. When the polycarbonate eventually gives out - which will not be soon - you can remove and replace it from your side.

Be aware of any slope on the path that could direct rainwater under either of the ends, it needs to be well sealed and somewhere for any collected water to drain to, you might prefer to create some simple coverings for any open drains along the house side too.

A local handyman will be well able to construct something suitable, this kind of structure is very common.

Advertisement