Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Podcasts

Options
  • 03-02-2022 6:36pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭

For anyone who's a fan of Christmas Podcasts there has been an explosion of new Christmas Podcasts on the scene lately. So I'm putting together some info, reviews and thoughts on the Christmas Podcasts around at the moment.

Feel free to add your own thoughts and reivews and let us know of any I might have missed.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Podcast title: Can't Wait For Christmas

By: Tim Babb

Origin: USA

Frequency: Monthly (25th of Each month)

Style: Topic of the month

Review: Can't wait for Christmas is one of the OG Christmas Pocasts and has been going for around 5 years now. It's a nice short monthly pod that is well structured with some solid segments, and some not so much.

The Pod is fun and the host can be a bit OTT at times, don't binge them as it does grate on you after a while, it can be very American. Given it's an American Podcast some of the topics don't apply, but there's enough there for international listeners to keep tuning in. All it all it's a fun 30 minutes or so and the main topics can be interesting.

Post edited by Loughc on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Podcast title: Tis The Podcast

By: Thom, Anthony & Julia

Frequency: Weekly (Every Monday)

Style: Festive Movie & TV Show reviews

Review: Another OG, this podcast covers and reviews all Christmas movies and TV specials (and more recently some Halloween ones too during October).This is a very good show, they cover off some of the big hitters early on but even the lesser known movies/shows you find you'll end up tuning in just for the 3 co-hosts. The 3 co-host have impecable chemistry, they bounce off each other really well and are funny at times.

The pod usually starts with the 3 co-hosts just chatting and catching up on how their week has been, after a few episodes you begin to feel like you know more about them than some of your own friends. It's a very enjoyable pod. Warning some episodes run long, like 90 mins or more.

Podcast title: Merry Britmas

By:

Origin: UK

Frequency: Monthly (But no January 2022 show as of yet)

Style: Topic of the month

Review: Another Short monthly podcast witha topic of the month format, this time the topics are more relevant being based in the UK. The host here is a school teacher and as such has a good tone to his voice and keep to the topics at hand. An extremely easy listen, wish this pod actually put out more content.

Podcast title: Christmas Countdown Show

By: Eric & Danny

Frequency: Seasonal (Oct - Dec)

Style: Countdown/Top 10 Discussions

Review: So this was a new pod for 2021 where the two co-hosts discuss their top 10 movies, songs, tv specials, food of Christmas, etc. Again as it's American based some of the choices particuarlly food wise are questionable. The show itself is well produced and a bit of fun.

They have confirmed the will return for a season 2 in October.

Podcast title: Brian Downling's Big Camp Christmas Chats

By: Brian Downling

Origin: Ireland

Frequency: Seasonal (Nov - Dec)

Style: Sit down interview with guest each episode

Review: So this was one that was recommended to me by Apple this year. There's 2 seasons of it 2020 & 2021 and I binged through both seasons early Jan 2022. While it is an Irish podcast, this wasn't an enjoyable listen for me. There are glimps and moments of perfection in this when Brian is talking to his guest about Christmas memories. But out of these glimps Brian Downling to no surprise comes across as brash and annoying. Some of his guest comes across as geniunely unlikable.

I'm not saying avoid... give it a try it might be for some people but I wouldn't rush to listen to a season 3. The seasons are short though so it is very bingable if you want to get through them all.

• Advertisement

I'll continue on tomorrow with more breakdowns of;

1. The Total Christmas Podcast
    2. The Lost Christmas Podcast
    3. Christmas Morning
    4. Christmas Alphabet
    5. Behind the Bells Podcast
    6. Christmas Past
    7. Kringle Talks Kristmas
    Post edited by Loughc on

Podcast title: The Total Christmas Podcast

By: Jack

Origin: UK

Frequency: Bi-Weekly

Style: Topic of the week

Review: The second UK entry here and this one is ahem interesting.... It started strong... but I did give up on it back in Feb 2021 and haven't gone back to it, I find the host unbareable at times, so it becomes a hard show to binge. He's a bit OTT and constantly putting himself down and the show down for "comedic effect" to the point it no longer becomes "funny" just sad.

There was one episode he received constructive feedback and he essentially ranted for 15 minutes about it to the point it became uncomfortable it was shortly after that episode I lost interest. I will give it another go soon to see if it's improved or if he's settled into the show more. It was a new show in 2020 so he may have just been finding his feet a bit.

Podcast title: The Lost Christmas Podcast

By:

Frequency: Seasonal (Oct - Dec)

Style: Topic of the Week

Review: This is a topic of the week format that looks at the history of the Christmas traditions. The host certianly does his research and covers each topic well, with almost each topic getting discussed at an international level and international variants. Each show ends with a chapter from a book called "The Lost years of Santa Claus" which has been an enjoyable listen so far and well read by the host.

A very good podcast if you like your history behind the traditons.

Podcast title: Christmas Morning

By: Bran & Scott

Frequency: Weekly

Style: Segments

Review: SO this podcast started as a daily pod on the countdown to Christmas 30 days to go. It's heavily segmented, segements include, E-Mails, Christmas Countdown, Christmas News, Christmas TV Listings & Christmas Music battle. The show decided for the off-season to record weekly, and so far the weekly shows for 2022 have been much stronger than the 2021 dailies.

The tv listings are American so they are skippable, the music battle is good though, they take a Christmas classic and try to find the best cover of it, the catch is the artist must be an unknown indie artist so no big names. Episodes are only 30 mins so it breezes by, while I wouldnt recommend binging 2021's daily shows as I imagine they have ages terribly, it does help you build a rapport for the co-host. A good show that is very similar to our out of season thread.

Advertisement