Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10/22 competition

Options
  • 03-02-2022 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭

Anyone using one of these? are they accurate? or better off getting a standard and kidding it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭JP22

Ah, anymore............

Popcorn ready and waiting…………………😀

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

MODERATOR NOTE

Keep it civil guys. Posts deleted so lets get back on topic.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,048 ✭✭✭clivej

First I'd have to say your Title and post would not be understood by 95% of the members here. This may be the reason you haven't got many replies. I understand what you are asking, and will try to answer you here.

1. My 10/22 is made up of all KIDD parts except for the action which is CNC machined from a solid billet by Dlask in Canada, with a personal serial number, and an integral 30MOA picatinny rail, with a single stage trigger and short medium barrel. Total cost about €1500.

2. The Ruger competition 10/22. This is a very good rifle with a heavy barrel, 16" I think.Very accurate out of the box BUT the trigger still has a heavy pull weight. IMO it needs a KIDD trigger to make it a great rifle. An older Harbour House member still holds the UK Phoenix record for the Granet competition using this setup. IMO this is the best Ruger 10/22 to start with. I was only looking at a Ruger Competition/Target rifle last week at €650.

3. Buying a standard Ruger 10/22 and upgrading all the parts is what most people do or people buy a KIDD rifle outright. BUT if you go the upgrade route it will cost a lot of money. First the rifle is €400, KIDD parts.......single stage trigger €375, Barrel €350, bolt €200, new stock €300. And you still have the Ruger action. So if you want a full KIDD rifle then buy one outright IMO. How much better is a KIDD over a Ruger Competition/Target 10/22 not much if anything and can/could YOU shoot it any better?????

There is only one dealer in Ireland I know of that has the KIDD rifle and parts in stock and that is Gunshop.ie, at Harbour House Sports Club every Saturday, from 11am.

The best upgrade for any Ruger 10/22 is a replacement trigger, an upgrade kit is good but the KIDD single stage trigger cannot be beaten. Next is to replace a standard skinny barrel with a bull barrel, 16" being the goto length.

Upgrading is like the lad with the older Toyota Corolla. Put on go fast stripes, sunshade with His and Her written on it, alloy wheels, etc. The car is still sh!te but it looks good.

I'll try and answer any questions you may have.

Post edited by clivej on

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Many thanks Clive for your reply,

I did get some feedback from other forums also, that concur with you.

And they suggested the 10/22 competition with a kidd trigger was as good as a full kidd swap. (with standard ruger receiver).

Just as you mention.

My initial question, though brief, and not so specific, was aimed at whether it was worth the extra expense.

I have seen the 10/22 competition in gunshop.ie, and have decided to go for one, as soon as I sell on my current .22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

Hey Clive,

2. The Ruger competition 10/22. This is a very good rifle with a heavy barrel, 16" I think.Very accurate out of the box BUT the trigger still has a heavy pull weight. IMO it needs a KIDD trigger to make it a great rifle. An older Harbour House member still holds the UK Phoenix record for the Granet competition using this setup. IMO this is the best Ruger 10/22 to start with. I was only looking at a Ruger Competition/Target rifle last week at €650.

He won't be too happy being described as 'An older Harbour House member". 😆😆😆

Advertisement