Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prime Time housing debate: Eoin O Broin vs Darragh O'Brien

Options
18910111214»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

In a few simple words from yourself what is your issue with this development?

I have already gave my opinion SF were trying to block it as they don't want houses built to give them something to moan about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downtheroad

The church wants rezone many of its sites in Dublin to allow housebuilding. This article mentions Raheny and Artane which I'm familiar with. Absolutely huge sites, with small enough mass attendances. The council should be approving this, allowing a smaller church to be built on site (as is to happen at a church site in Finglas) but not allow the church to profit heavily from this.

Time for the church to show its benevolence here and give the land at low or no cost to allow housing be built all across Dublin.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/dublin-archdiocese-urges-rezoning-church-sites-to-allow-homebuilding-1.4804591

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That doesn't mean that the total costs will be less.

If the planning/development/finance costs more than the 15%, or the risk is taken on the side of the council/government, the total costs are likely to be much more, hence we see the NCH and many many other projects running over budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

All the parties and people who objected wanted them all social. I think that was a good reason.

Everybody, all parties except FG wanted assurances about the site should the build fall through. I think that's a good reason.

All non government parties, not all Labour, didn't like the gifting of public land. Id agree with that.

Your thing about SF just moaning is misguided.

Kenny's cabinet chose the site and started the tender process.

Varadkars cabinet doubled down on the site despite pleas not to. Paschal and Harris apologised for not keeping an eye on the projects and allowing massive over runs go unchecked. Then Harris mislead the Dail about it and had to correct himself and apologise.

The NCH was set up and overseen by the like of pashal and Simon.

To clarify...

Its a FG project gone awry. Your 25 years ago guff is nonsense. You are happy for these people to continue entering poor deals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

Do you agree with SF voting against it and do you think the development of over 850 homes should have been 100% social with no affordable or cost rental?

I would have had 80% social, 20% Affordable on public land.

SF had good reason. I think you putting it all on SF has you drawing the wrong conclusions.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I think you would find it very difficult to sell those 20% affordable houses if it was known that the other 80% was social tenants, there's a reason that approach has been long abandoned (is SF actually pushing those %'s?).

True. I would prefer small estates of one or the other. However many mostly private estates were once 100% social. Back when housing was seen as a need and not an asset.

Don't know about SF. I form my own opinions and then see who matches best.

Most of those estates were also black spots for antisocial behaviour until a generation or two later (when all the property had been sold off), majority social housing estates is an absolutely failed policy, you're really looking at PBP to match your opinions best rather than SF.

• Advertisement

That's broadly inaccurate. I grew up in and around such estates. Some were bad, others weren't. In my experience nearly every privately owned house has the original council tenant family. I don't know were you think these new buyers came from or the original tenants went.

If not for social housing many more working families would likely be renting today. It was a resounding cross country generational success. It moved many from slums and tenements into a house. It was a great thing IMO. Back before successive Irish governments got overly greedy and Tory.

You'll find all modern policymakers would disagree with you on that bar those on the further left than SF and Labour would be.

It's the reason a % of all new builds have to be set aside as social housing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

All "the people" who objected may have claimed their objection was the lack of social housing, but I do not for a second believe they would have not objected had it been 100% social.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

You need to look at the facts

The plan was first mooted in 1993, but not seriously kicked off till 2006, when FF were in government.

The Mater site was chosen first but planning was refused in 2012

The government choose the St James site in 2012 based from a recommendation by Frank Dolphin's report, and construction actually began in 2016

The project is overseen by a committee. TD's and ministers dont run the show here, as it would be stupid to do so.

Again, you need to look at the facts Bruce.

I posted the facts. You raised it as a reason why we should stay the course in housing. Housing is overseen by the same people oversaw/see the NCH. And we already pay people to build for us but the deals we enter into are terrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Isn't it just bonkers that the poster who is so critical of the government building the NCH itself wants the government to do the exact same when it comes to building houses.

Mad, Ted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

wow so FTBs get nothing.. This is where this country is b0ll0xed the tail wagging the dog here. Live right , play by the rules as in get a job, get married and try and get somewhere to live and you get nothing but more tax and hardship to the point of not being able to afford to have kids. Then you have the lefties have a few babies from a few different daddies, sign the state up as baby daddy , get your house, lifestyle and kids paid for by the state and of course the boyfriend comes to live with his income too. This crap needs to end

First time buyers would be covered under the affordable. You assuming everyone in need of housing is a single mother on the dole is the bullshit that's needs to stop. It helps people who **** on the lower incomes sleep better maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

at a ratio of 1:4 why should people who get up and work have less housing available to them than those who don't work? I am not assuming anything it is going on in every parish in every county all over the country its rife with people taking the absolute p1ss and no way to catch out people who are playing the system. I heard a story today of my sister in law , her and her boyfriend saving like crazy to get a gaff, only to be told by a friend how her sister just got a brand new 3 bed house in an area they cant afford for 40 quid a week. Then she described how the boyfriend has moved in and they have more money than they have ever had. But you keep your head buried in the sand its the tail wagging the dog in this country. I also have 2 nieces one done everything the right way - college, worked and worked has no kids and she cant afford a house her younger sister has 3 kids with 2 different dads and she has her current beau moved in with her so creaming off the state and taking half his pay too. Its a joke. We need stricter laws for fathers who should be looking after their offspring financially. The days of the state being baby daddy needs to come to an end as what is happening and what will continue to happen is those who don't bother trying will be the only ones able to afford to have a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

nowt like throwing a bit of cliche into the mix.

• Advertisement

I see you're now a PBP supporter then, guess the next set of scales have fell from the eyes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 69,154 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Advertisement