Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Stoat - What Can I Do?

• 04-02-2022 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hiya folks,

I've spotted a stoat living on the property, very close to the dogs. We have 2 new pups, both hunting breeds but both too small to pose a threat to a mouse at this stage.

I'm concerned that...

1) The stoat might be looking a them as a meal.

2) They'll catch its scent and go mad.

I've had a google trying to figure out what risk a stoat actually poses and there's some mixed results. Some places say they're relatively harmless, bar their propensity for carrying lice and ticks and other little horrors like that around with them. Others say they can take down animals up to 10 times their size with a solid bite to the base of the neck.

This particular fella is far braver than he has any right to be. I've caught him a few times poking his head out to watch me or the dogs, only lucky the dogs haven't spotted him. He has a bright white patch of fur on his chest/underbelly and claws that are so big it looks like they must be hurting him a bit. Besides that his body is a browny grey and no other distinctive marks.

Can anybody advise on what I should do in this case? I don't want the dogs to get hurt because he's looking for an easy meal, but similarly I don't want the dogs to get to him. Is their a wildlife control group who'd be interested in coming to tak ehim off my hands that people know of?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

How big is it? Is it definitely a Stoat and not a Pine Marten?

You can discuss it with your local NPWS Conservation Ranger, but bar them, nobody will be able to relocate it for you.

Whether it's a Stoat or a Pine Marten I think there's little or no risk to your pups. No risk from the Stoat, and very little risk from the Pine Marten, unless your pups managed to corner it and it had no other means of escape. A puppy wouldn't be considered an easy meal for either.

Advertisement