Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do we improve the permanent government?

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

My opinion, based on the night-watchman principle of conservatism and books such as Niall Fergusseon's "The Great Degeneration" is a rollback of many of the books of the state. The accumulated growth of laws and reguluations, often prompted by insider rent-seekers, has vastly increased the bureacratic nature of society that impacts both innovation and common liberties. Societies that had built up such elaborate state framework work fine until a shock to the system causes them to shatter like glass.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

For me it demonstrates a politician not fit to be a minister. There will always be headstrong and deceptive people in every organization and is up to the minister to stamp his authority and leadership on his department just like the CEO in any organization. If people feel it’s so easy to by past the minister then he is no up for the job.

David cullinane utterly tearing strips off robert watt at the joint committee on health

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I did an internal interview last week. There were 7 panels of 3 interviewers all week. I had no idea who would be interviewing me until they brought me in. They mark an interview sheet as you are being interviewed giving you marks on your competencies and general knowledge of the role. At the end of the week the interview sheets are rounded up and the points counted, those with the highest marks get put to the top of the panel and it works its way down. It's completely transparent, when you get your letter informing you if you made the panel/and where you placed on it, you get the actual interview sheet that they marked during your interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You are talking complete nonsense.

The only advantage of having a relative in the public service is that they have successfully gone through the recruitment process and can therefore give some advice on how to be successful.

However, when it comes to temporary clerical positions, you need to be particularly clueless not to be successful at one of those after several attempts.

yeah. i "got a" fella on a panel recently by

reading his cv

reading his form

reading the job spec

putting things from the first two against competencies in the last

drilling him until he had the hang of doing the same for himself

running through interview techniques with him

running through what makes for a good answer with him

the pain of it is that down home if its mentioned theyll all tip their noses and tell me fair play for using my pull for him, and its a waste of breath even going through it for them, they'll believe what they want no more than the likes of the bilge posted above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think the public accounts ensures that there is no accountability.... there was a couple oif dodgy NAMA transactions i can think of off hand...

You've both decided to re-address a point I made in FEBRUARY... and a point that has already been covered, and dismissed.

What's up with going over ground already covered? Better yet, continuing to deal with what I didn't write, vs what you want to argue. Simply incredible.

I get it. You disagree. Ground covered already. Get over it.

Bloody hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Integritate

It is quite easy to improve on this government. At the moment, our political leaders not only look weak and equivocating, but they are embarrassingly so. They should not be allowed to progress from one poor decision to the next by using the “lessons learned” excuse. If they were in the private sector, they would have been fired on their first week of the job. It certainly appears that government policies are now dictated by social media likes, the RTE board agenda, and the Irish Times op eds.

It is astounding that our current corporate tax intake is not utilised to benefit the citizens of this country and to improve the living conditions of those who work, third level students, apprentices, and carers. It is apparent that if you are part of this demographic, then the current government sees you as a non-entity. The only solution that I see is to vote Independent until such a time when FF/FG TDs and Independents align to the Will of the majority. I am embarrassed to be an Irishman looking at the current state of affairs of our country and thinking back at the sacrifices of our forefathers.

When I look at the responses of other European countries to liberal progressive policies implemented by a minority e.g. France, Italy etc, I am disappointed that we are so passive in accepting out fate. We seemed to have lost our backbone.

Fair play to you. A huge gain for them through sensible actions.

I was recently involved in interviewing a couple of candidates for a job in the company I work for. My first time ever doing something like this and I was quite surprised how qualified people rocked up with little or no simple preparation done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,698 ✭✭✭corks finest

Sack the lot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I expect the constitution will have to be written when we have a united Ireland and everything will be on the table... We will become proper Europeans where politicians are accountable to the people... I think the cozy arrangement that TDs and councillors will dramatically change happen quickly enough.

I had this conversation only a couple of weeks ago with an activist lawyer from NI and she mentioned out Health service and things that the people in NI would expect... we agreed so i expect the the savings to do this have to come from reform of current system... we also had a chat about our legal system here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,229 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That is exactly how it is done.

I have done it for private sector jobs as well for people. Having been on the recruitment side and sat on interview boards, you get a really good insight into what employers are looking for and you can help applicants tailor their applications to meet those expectations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,354 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It is quite easy to improve on this government.

Maybe re-read the thread title.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

We won't change the fuckers that we elect, and when we do the replacements are even worse

Good luck getting the permanent govt shifted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I heard this on the radio this morning. Article behind a paywall. Has anyone read it?

Dublin Airport meltdown sparks war between TDs and civil service - Independent.ie

The Dublin Airport controversy has sparked an unprecedented row between senior politicians and management in the civil service and semi-state agencies.

A raft of recent controversies has infuriated Coalition politicians, who feel they are shouldering the blame for errors over which they have no control.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,098 ✭✭✭Augme

What exactly does the dublin airport situation have to do with civil servants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,565 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think the civil servants reference was in relation to the recent secondments debacle. The DAA are semi state.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement
Advertisement