Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Genetics + neurology versus aging:

• 04-02-2022 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭

A lot of the epigenetics lectures start off and are comprised of similar/identical content, as the mechanics of epigenitcs is well established (though still fascinating):

Epigentics, neural function, gene expression influences and, establishing novel interventions.

What are the determinants, how are we predisposed (and tangentially, do we have "free will"), and the critical question, what is the effective intervention?

Drug therapeutics and some surgical inventions are what we've got currently.

Podcaster and professor David Sinclair and other neurobiology researchers strongly contend many human ailments are merely a by product of aging and the latter should be the primary therapeutic target.

But specifically what is aging?

Thoughts?

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

Aging purposely programmed into our lifecycle so we allow our selves to progress in evolution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Did you quote that (with minor augmentation) from the WSJ Elon Musk interview?

I don't think anything is purposefully programmed in, it's just the nature of universal forces to erode away at something until it falls apart (which is essentially what happens in late life degenerative disorders).

But Musk here was also supposedly advocating aging in one capacity for the same theoretical reason - thought process evolution (aka cognition evolution);

As societies are a function or extrapolation of their thought process (aka culture), "people don't normally change how they think" so they stagnate unless death occurs and future generations evolve (usually to some small extent) how they think.

No, I didn't quote anyone, that's my personal opinion after years of studying.

We are biological robots created and purposely programmed. Whoever created all mammals on this planet, none of them have superuser/admin privileges to reprogram. Our system, based on rewards and punishments with a weak willpower to oppose, most of the time unsuccessfully.

And human genome so huge that without computers we would never be capable to decode.

May I ask what your background is? And specific area of interest within that background?

I appreciate the point of view as it outlines essentially our contemporary state exhibiting the consistent level of helpless defeatism in the face of it.

Referring to will power specifically, it's synonymous with "impulse control" which is specifically mediated through our nervous systems.

As you correctly point out, most people in one way or other eventually fall victim to it.

i.e. science has no appreciable/worthwhile nervous system intervention established (or even particularly well conceived of) to mediate nervous system predisposition - i.e. to mediate genetic predisposition.

i.e. epigenetic interference/modification or in general modification/tweaking/optimization of gene expression, there's really no validated means of doing this; we simply manage emergent conditions with chemicals that implicate downstream effectors and if things go really really bad, operate/cut/slice-out.

Aging.....

My overall contention, aging is essentially when these,

..... get weaker.

What are they?

All-or-nothing action potentials, electrical spikes within nerves.

Nervous system function essentially mediates all other biological process, all other biological process are secondary or downstream to the nervous system.

When these get weaker, we get weaker.

They mediate excitation.

When people get older, they lose this.

Maybe they get beaten down by the cold oppressive reality of the universe and by extension, life on earth.

i.e. nerves lose their excitatory potential.

= the power of nerve impulses reduces as age progresses, and physiological symptoms of "aging" emerge (but correlation does not mean causation - in relation to symptom emergence versus # of solar revolutions).

Post edited by Sugar_Rush on

• Advertisement

According to aging program as we getting older everything slows down and eventually start malfunctioning and die. We can slow down aging, but at the moment we can't stop it.

For all your other questions, we are only at the beginning of the decoding and analysing mammal genome and most debates on the subject would be hypothetical speculations.

Fair observations, but ultimately lacking insight.

Anyone else?

PS - though at least there is acknowledgement that aging is based on "slowing down", though not specifically of what.

It's also interesting in this interview that Musk claims:

"It's important people die as they don't change their mind, don't change how they think, therefore if they didn't die society would stagnate/ossify and not evolve".

And the interviewer comes back with,

"I thought you'd say psychedelics".

Where psychedelics are currently advocated for specifically due to their perspective shifting nature, alter states of consciousness, specifically assist with modification of thought process and therefore cognitive state.

Musk thereafter reaffirms his belief that for positions of leadership, said leaders must exhibit good "presence of mind and cognitive ability" (synonyms of one another) to make the most informed decisions on behalf of the societies being governed.

i.e. he's advocating for cognitive evolution, and so is the interviewer - but just from two different points of view.

And that discussion was initiated via the attempt to address an aging related intervention.

Therefore - cognitive evolution = age inhibitor (keeps the nervous system fast, prevents its slowing), due to the cognitive effect on nervous system function (thus, "neuro-cognition").

Are you in love with Musk?

There's no science just money.

Not so much, but he does have essentially a global cult following so using someone in that position to shed light on the topic and reaffirm my own contention via contrast is useful.

Not to mention everyone else loves him so if I link a video they're probably going to click on it vs ignore it.

I agree he's not a pure scientist but never claimed be either; rather an engineer focused on manufacture optimization (application optimization of science already in place).

Which is why there's statements he makes definitely to be taken with a pinch of salt (as I see it).

Like the above (similar to yourself), "getting old and dying is an important part of societies life cycle", it's like endorsing degenerative nervous system disorders, asinine in many ways.

Instead the answer should, "how and what do we do to establish an effective intervention addressing stagnation of thought process and evolution, enhancing quality of life long term".

• Advertisement

Increasing brain waves (neural electromagnetic potency):

Counter measure versus dementia disorders (aging related).

Advertisement