Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rugby, Do we need it?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Any time rugbys popularity is questioned people like yourself dump these links that only make a fool of you.

Munster v Leinster is the biggest game in domestic rugby.

It was on a main station, in English.

The Cork v Waterford game was not the biggest game between the two this year, it was broadcast on a niche channel, in Irish.

When Cork v Waterford happens in the Munster championship the TV numbers will dwarf Saturdays rugby numbers.

Lol

Yep, down play the point you yourself have been trying so strenuously to make.

You're gas. No sense of self awareness at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Maybe your interest is purely a dispassionate academic inquiry as to why coverage is so high. But if you've been reading the thread, the bitterness is palpable.

I doubt even 8 teeams go into each world Cup with a serious chance of winning. So what? Ireland doesn't have any realistic chance of winning the soccer tournaments, but it still tries to qualify and I still enjoy the excitement around the country when they do well or qualify for a tournament.

I don't know what I'm missing that makes some people bitter when they see other people enjoying a sport. But I'm really glaf o dont get it. I just feel happy for others who enjoy the soccer or GAA, even if I don't follow those sports at all.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

For the butt hurts here, there should really have been an extra religion called 'Rugby Worship' in the census options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Firminos

I think maybe people are annoyed with how people go on about how great we are at rugby. When shag all countries play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Do people really go on about how great we are?

There is a lot of coverage of the six nations as there isn't really another sport on at the time. Its on at a time when the main competition is the GAA leagues which only the hardcore GAA fans really care about, English soccer, and maybe the odd Irish football international.

The rugby competitions do not clash with other sports main competitions.

When the soccer euros/ world cup are on they are the main topic in the sports news.

When the Hurling/Football reaches championship then they are the main topics.

You can hardly be surprised that the only successful professional teams we have on the island get a lot of coverage in the news.

In the context of rugby, Ireland is a top country at the moment. How would you prefer they phrase it?

Does the phraseology account before the bitterness?

maybe some posters have no idea how crap we used to be in rugby, and why our rise in the era of professionalism is something that is both to be celebrated and something which causes envy in our competitors.

we went 61 years between grand slams in 1948 and 2009, and then won another in 2018.

we went through the whole of the 17 years between 1983 and 2000 never beating France in a rugby game. zero from 17.

In the last 10 years we're 6 wins from 12 with 2 draws.

We won 6 five nations in 80 years (5 of those shared).

So far we've won 4 six nations in 22 years.

We've gotten a lot better than we used to be, its a pity some people feel somehow threatened by this. Its even funnier how much they get annoyed with vodafones slogan

I really don't get the fundamental "my sport is better than yours" attitude. We get the same hate up here in the North for ice hockey from Irish League fans. All sports have their quirks, good points and bad points. To be honest I think if you're a sports fan you can watch and enjoy most sports to some kind of level. To be all rugby and completely hate GAA or vice versa is kinda weird. Who can't appreciate a point hit from the midline or a goal saving soccer tackle or an intricate set of rugby passing or a last corner overtake or a quarterback scramble in the pocket no matter what your own particular sporting preference ? I think it also helps to have given these sports a go yourself to understand just how difficult they are.

Live and let live. Peace.

• Advertisement

The reality is that rugby support has very little depth.

Things like Six Nations, RWC, European Cup etc can be high profile and attract a lot of attention, but beyond that support is very thin on the ground.

That's why I posted about the Munster v Leinster game.

What would be considered the most high profile domestic game in the country could not sell out a 25k stadium for the first time with unrestricted attendance for over two years.

The game doesn't deserve the profile it gets given it's level of support.

Plus it's not a sport that many people can aspire to play at the highest level without financial backing.

On the rugby board a poster has posted stats that only 32% of the players playing professionally in Ireland come from non fee paying schools in Ireland.

52% of players in Ireland come from Irish private schools.

That puts some poor but talented kids on the back foot straight away.

Finance is not a burden to talented soccer players archiving the highest level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

In fairness, you could switch the sports around to have this read any y way you like, and it would sound like a dick-measuring exercise.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

So what if its profile is higher than you think not should be? It's just a sport, it's entertainment. Some people enjoy watching it, some enjoy following it, and some people enjoy whinging about it. Isn't everyone a winner?

thankfully these things are quantifiable

Event Most Looking Forward to in 2020 (top five only)

Tokyo Olympic Games – 20 %

Six Nations – 17%

All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship – 14%

All-Ireland Senior Football Championship – 11%

Euro 2020 – 10%

Ireland's Favourite Sport (top six only)

Gaelic Games – 24%

Soccer – 14%

Rugby – 13%

= Cycling / Tennis – 5%

= Athletics / Golf – 3%

every six nations game attracted more viewers than our soccers teams more important game of the season. the six nations games against france and england attracted more viewers than the all ireland hurling final.

for a sport that "has very little depth" according to tod, it attracts a hell of a lot of viewers ahead of other so called more deserving sports :D

maybe, just maybe, Tods opinion is based on bias and envy, and not on any actual reality

Everything you've said there about rugby could apply to GAA, local games and league games get poor enough attendance. People show up for the championship. the same as people show up for internationals and champions cup in rugby.

You brought up the leinster v munster game. Its also very easy to say things in another way. Cork played Waterford in a league final on saturday night, 19000 people attended the game. Munster played Leinster in a regular league game on saturday night, 20000 people attended the game. Both games were live on free to air TV and the rugby got higher viewer numbers.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Matbe it's the Lyons team, sponsored by Britain's? Hard to tell what the poster thinks going on. Their knowledge of rugby is eclipsed by their crossness towards rugby. That much is clear.

Either I'm not making my point correctly or you are deliberately not understanding it.

Sure six nations game attracted more viewers than soccer internationals or hurling finals.

But the six nations games are the top profile games.

But go down the pyramid.

How many watched AIL group games and lower week in week out?

Compare that to how many watch GAA club games and lower week in week out.

The GAA attendance would dwarf the AIL attendance.

That's what I mean about depth, after the high profile stuff rugby interest falls off a cliff.

• Advertisement

youre rambling man.....

anyway. ive clearly show my side of the argument. when you want to present your own, let us know.

But the rugby game was a much higher profile game in the context of the rugby year, plus it was on a English language station.

Can you not figure that ?

The fact is that a regular season rugby league game got a bigger attendance and higher viewer numbers than the hurling league final. You can make excuses for why that is but those are the facts.

Do you think people chose to watch rugby over the hurling because it was on an english language station? If people did indeed chose that then hurling doesnt really have a depth of support either.

lets not forget that the rugby game was also on premier sports 2 where you can add another very conservative 60k viewers to the RTE numbers above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭mikethecop

well no not splitting hairs , pointing out our statement of fact as nonsense and your lack of come back , still waiting for alternative that fits your standards but you wont will you , its all about your hatred of rugby and rugby culture biased on your lack of understanding and personal prejudices.

Why exactly do you hate to see and Irish team being one of the top teams in the world ? do yo even know your self .

Again head up to your local club and see what its all about instead of relying on your out of date hateful prejudices and childish old stereotypes, your just embarrassing your self here talking about something which you have no knowledge about same as most threads you stomp into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭DBK1

Could I ask what are these “buzzwords” you keep referencing? I’ve seen you mention it numerous times but never the actual words so I’m genuinely curious as to what these are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

All that jealousy and bitterness must be a terrible load to carry on those shoulders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭boetstark

Would you like to elaborate on your reference to Paddy Jackson. I will advise you to be very careful what you put in print buddy.

Elaborate in what way?

He tbf is at least not costing irish tax payers any money,as not getting paid by irfu.....we really need to look into getting a cost/benefit anylsis of the money we throw at the irfu

Ireland is irregardless of how bad we do,ireland never likely to fall outside top 10,and rugby fans will still pack out landsdown road (the oldest rugby ground in world until irfu decided to squeeze more money outta it and sell its naming rights)..perhaps that money could be better served elsewhere

• Advertisement

An "offload" in any other sport is known as a pass

How many names,is there for position of the kicker?

"Pumping the legs" is simply known as running to normal people

"Out of the rabbithole" is just utter nonsense and beyond parody

I can really really continue

FAI say hello

😂 😂 😂

I've heard this reference to the offload as a superfluous buzzword before. It's useful let's you know the level of knowledge the person has about the game.

@[Deleted User] an offload a particular type of pass. It's high risk, high reward and is particularly potent in attack. Pumping the legsusually refers to the leg work post-contact. In attack it's very important to get over the gainline (hope 'gainline' doesn’t trigger you). I listen to matches on the radio when I can't sit to watch them and those terms are descriptive and apt. I suppose if you don't have a clue about the game, they might sound like buzzwords.

It betrays a lack of knowledge similar to giving out about a chip and a hoof in soccer (arent they both kicks?) or a strike and a cut in hurling for the same reason.

Do you think if you knew much about the game, would you be more cross or less cross?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭DBK1

I think you need to look up the meaning of buzzword, none of the examples you’ve given would qualify as buzzwords.

I’d be more of a hurling man than any other sport but I would enjoy watching rugby along with plenty of other sports too. As someone earlier said no real sportsperson can love one sport and hate another for no logical reason. You may not have an interest in another sport but any sportsperson would admire the talent/skill/ability etc. it takes to compete in any other sport.

Rugby is by far one of the most technical of the field sports due to all the different rules so the attitude you have towards it is generally one that comes from people who haven’t the required intelligence levels to understand it. You find it easier to put it down than admit to not having the brain capacity to understand it.

But hey, whatever makes you feel better about yourself, you go ahead with it. In the grand scheme of things nothing said by an anonymous poster on boards is going to make any difference whatsoever to the partaking in, or supporting of, any sport so if it makes you feel better about yourself then I suppose that’s the best result you were ever going to get.

Best of luck with it👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is out of the rabbit hole a rugby “buzzword”? In all my years of both playing and watching rugby I’ve never heard that one used.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Not sure I've ever heard this one either. Are we sure we're discussing the same sport? Is rabbithole a rugby league term or something?

• Advertisement

are we in anyway surprised that blaaz doesnt know anything about rugby?

i have never heard out of the rabbithole in relation to rugby. If that is in your top 3 then you must be struggling.

Id also say it is harder to find a sport that doesnt have multiple phrases to describe passes.

Soccer-> backpass, pass between the line

Hurling-> handpass, stick pass

Football -> hand pass, foot pass

Pumping the legs is generally when you have someone tackiling you and you still make meters forward. Absolutley noone i know would describe that as running. I know when i go running i tend not to have a 15 stone man hanging off me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It doesn't annoy me as much a "gah" but it's still an awful sport.

An offload being a pass in a tackle,is simply known as a pass in any other field sport.....its endemic within rugby,as its used to gloss over lack of skills,and hype/big-up some pretty ordinary basic skills

Buzzwords/hype utterly annoy me in all areas,plenty issues in other sports with it....but rugby is utterly littered with it....you'd be utterly fuming at the rte commentry at times

Buzzword...a word or phrase, often an item of jargon, that is fashionable at a particular time or in a particular context.

Its a game literally full of it,utter rubbish to gloss over the poor quality of whats on offer,let it live on its own merits,not needing endless hyping up basic skills

Such as "in the breadbasket" to describe catching a ball in a way would get you chastised in u10 of any other fieldsport

I havnt put down rugby??...even its most ardent fans surely admit its skill levels to play are low.....its just overblown in terms of its quality,and dangerous for our youth to play it and shouldnt be encouraged

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Why do they play with a crookedly ball that don’t even bounce right??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I try to get into it and understand the hype (i work with rake of rugby lovers-only one of whom has played it)

So i try to be more social,and understand what they see in it,but fcuk me....noone will able be to convince me that "playing the percentages" with "good game management" is anything other than a buzzword phrase for winning a free and then proceeding to kick the ball back out of play.....

how could such wankery of commentry cause anything other than annoyance,when someone take a step back to look at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

You’re talking “out of your rabbit hole”, mate.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Ah yes.....unable to tackle the issue highlighted...play the man instead👏👏👏

beyond parody at this stage

Ah, an offload is a specific type of pass and is an important destinction from a normal pass in attack because of the likelihood of getting behind the defense.

How much do you think you know about rugby? This is basic stuff. You don't seem to know the basic stuff.

Did you ever figure out what a rabbit hole is?

Its a pass when being tackled

In essence, the offload is simple: run into contact, then slip the ball to a supporting player to keep the attack alive, rather than going to ground and recycling possession.

[Fcuk sake even the dictionary includes buzzwords.....recycling possession is merly retaining it].....there is no justification for differentiaing it or giving it a special term imo

Yeah. It's a specific type of pass. Calling it an offload is more descriptive.

OK, so we've established you don't understand what you're talking about. But lets pretend there's no such thing as an offload and its just a pass and offload is just a buzzword. What makes you so cross about the buzzwords in a sport you don't understand or follow?

BTW if the different types of pass confused you and you needed to google a definition, wait until you hear about the types not kicks: chip, garryowen, kick-pass, clearance kick, penalty kick, drop-kick, grubber, kick off, and the tap-and-go. And I might be missing some.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Some more,

22 drop out, Goal-line drop out, cross field kick, spiral kick, torpedo kick, up and under, box kick, 50-22, out on the full, fly kick, hack through, touch finder, kick at goal, penalty kick, conversion, free kick, drop-off, kick to touch, kick straight out from inside your own 22, hook, volley, kick it dead, a contestable, control it (number 8 at the back of a scrum), block it (fullback sometimes stops it with his foot before picking it up to avoid a knock on), roll it back (scrum-half at a ruck),

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

Slice

And each one describes a type of kick, intention or result. But shur, maybe they should forget describing the type of kick and just call everything a kick and leave it at that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement