Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering with homeless

Options
  • 04-02-2022 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hello all,

Two years ago I did volunteering with a Soup run group just for a couple of times, then the lockdown started.

The group was very suitable for me. I didn't need to go through any Garda vetting (it wouldn't be a problem, I had done that previously for other volunteering in the past), but because of that I was able to start straight away. I wasn't asked for a minimum of hours per week either. I'd say the group was quite informal. There was always a good number of volunteers every time I went.

I know that they haven't resumed their activities yet and they don't know yet when they will.

I am going to have some time in the following 2-3 weeks, and it could happen again later on. I am just irregular and I know that most charities expect a certain commitment, which I cannot guarantee for the moment. I was wondering if there are other similar "informal" volunteering groups who work preferably with homeless where I could help out?

Thank you.

Comments

I’d be wary of any groups allowing non Garda vetted people have access to vulnerable people. Fair play to you for volunteering.

Advertisement