Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

David Grohl, Nirvana, music, social meda

• 04-02-2022 9:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone reading https://www.amazon.co.uk/Storyteller-Tales-Life-Music/dp/1398503703

Social media has changed things so much there is no way bands like Nirvana or the Foo fighters could emerge today they would be marketed to death by social media before they even got stated agree or disagree?

Comments

I find Grohl to be annoying. I’m sure he’s a nice guy, but no one is more aware of that status than Dave himself. Foo Fighters are fairly safe play-by-numbers stadium rock. The dude got lucky being the drummer for what were a pretty phenomenal band in fairness.

Agree with that BUT the first two albums are class, they really are, both start to finish which is rare for that era

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Of course, the majority of it is luck talent alone neve got a band anywere.

My point is about music in the era of social media and how social media and music bands reflexively bend back on each other something like that anyway 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Social media is a cancer on society full fûcking stop.

• Advertisement

Yeah..

Tbh I have an issue with aging rock stars touring for 30 years..Yeah, he just got lucky..couple of good albums 25 years ago..

I think the issue with social media isn't the marketing really tbh..It's that the spectacle has become the focus..The artists eye has been turned on himself and has become too narcissistically self involved..It's no longer about making art It's about the artist being an artist first and foremost now..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Nonsense. Social media has made it easier than every to build a career out of absolutely nothing. You don't even need talent anymore for it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Of course, that is true, but it wouldn't work for bands like Nirvana

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,606 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

social media has made it all too polished for the type of band Nirvana was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Cdemess

This is a call. 1995 was a good year and managed to see them at multiple venues at £7 a show. Worth every penny

No, it hasn't. There's vastly more choice and variety now than there's ever been. Social media doesn't make anything into anything. What matters ultimately is popularity and sales. Nirvana would have no problems today. None.

you missing the point they wouldn't be Nirvana today.

Are you pointing out that a band founded in 1987 would be different if it was founded 25 years later? Is this your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Or 35 years later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Yeah I saw them at the point in 1995 I think it was? Or maybe 96. It was part of the feile thing. I remember teenage fanclub and possibily manic street preachers were there too. I was 13/14 at the time. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Disagree. Dave is a great "songwriter" in his own right.

The Foos have a number of very good albums and some great songs amongst them. If he was so lucky, then how come Krist isn't as well known? He's been involved in some musical endeavors since Nirvana himself but never acquired the same fame as Dave. Why is that? I know you won't answer.

He was the bassiest for Nirvana - a rhesus monkey could have played bass for Nirvana. Don't know much about the lad, but didn't he leave music and become a farmer or something?

Listen, Foo Fighters are grand. The first album was obviously a labour of love for Grohl, and showed he had a talent for a catchy pop-rock tune with a melody. The rest is all very safe radio friendly unit shifter type stuff. Designed to fill stadiums and to get heavy rotation on Dad Rock stations like Nova. It has its place, but there's no point trying to argue he's some sort of musical visionary. His zany "Rock Guy" persona gets a bit wearisome as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

In fairness though, does Krist want the same level of fame? Seems like he is happy to be less well known and to just collaborate with who he wants to and not be in another huge band.

The fact that Dave grohl wrote and recorded the first foo fighters album entirely on his own including playing all the instruments shows that there is more than luck involved there though tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's kind of an unverifiable assertion. Nirvana, grunge and all the alternative stuff that emerged in that era partly as a reaction to the shiny lameness of a lot of mainstream rock. It was a very specific thing unique to that era, place etc.

I think a band could break through to the mainstream like Nirvana did, with the same type of attitude Nirvana did, but they'd probably sound completely different, probably wouldn't even be rock music and they'd reflect all the changes in the 30+ years in between.

But, I don't know, I think music - particularly rock music - as a major cultural changing force is done. I think that's something of what he's getting at. Yeah, sure you can become well known for whatever on social media these days, but a relatively underground rock band busting through into the mainstream and having a revolutionary impact not just on music, but on culture at large? I don't think we'll be seeing that anytime soon tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Nirvana and I say this as a fan were always marketed to death. Would they have been famous without the constant promotion Cobain brought. They were always a media savvy band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I mean you can certainly say he got lucky, but let's not forget that Dave himself is a phenomenal drummer and widely considered to be one of the best in the industry. He's also thought to be one of the most legitimately nice people in the industry, a 30+ year career with no personal controversies, and making his own path in life.

Advertisement