Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Judicial Decisions That are soft on criminal

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭downtheroad

A judge has said that Dublin city centre is becoming an increasingly dangerous place for people to walk around at night.

Judge Melanie Greally made her comments when sentencing a man for a violent and unprovoked attack on two men five years ago.

"Unfortunately this is becoming a fact of life and Dublin city centre is becoming an increasingly dangerous place in which to circulate, particularly in the early hours,” she said.

She imposed a three year prison sentence but suspended it on strict conditions including that he keep the peace and be of good behaviour.

Two other men involved in the attack have also received suspended prison terms.

What a tool of a judge. If its that bad then lock them up!

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/judge-says-dublin-city-centre-becoming-increasingly-dangerous-1.4811432

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭conorhal

"Why are our streets such a war-zone?, asked the judge, as she hands down another suspended sentence to another violent thug that randomly attacks innocent bystanders in the street. "It's just one of life's great mysteries I guess" she mused....

What a numpty.

That said, there's nowhere to put these offenders, additional jail space was needed 20yrs and a million extra people in the country ago. As usual though we have a minister for justice that solves all her problems with amnesties and virtue signalling so don't expect appropriate sentencing for violent offenders any time soon.

Put them in jail. 10 to a cell. And anyone who argues about human rights can be told they were lost after the 50th conviction.

This country needs to see a Gerard Butler in Law Abiding Citizen type figure go vigilante on the politicians and judiciary before this will get resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I’ve seen some really stupid things on boards, some by trolls, some by mistake, but this is by far the most stupid thing I’ve ever seen. Name and shame the bookies? What have they done wrong? If he’d spent the money on designer clothes etc. would you be expecting CAB to raid Brown Thomas?? **** hell.

they have recieved stolen property. Why should the bookie get to keep the cash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Odds are stacked in favor of a growing criminal population in this country.

Too few guards generally and not helped by some of them been too lazy to do real police work...free legal aid solicitors who tell ridiculous yarns to get their client off to go commit more crime - judges who would swallow any sob story - not enough prisons.

Criminals laugh at the law abiding going to work every day!

when sentencing a man for a violent and unprovoked attack on two men five years ago.

Now that's must be a joke. How bad is our justice system when it takes five years to sentence someone? I get that the sentencing itself is ridiculous, but the idea that sentencing should take that long to be done is utterly retarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Tow

I don't think we need more Guards, the problem is too many repeat offenders running around continuing to causing trouble. It must be heartbreaking for a Garda to put all the work in to get a conviction, the offender gets a slap on the wrist and then goes on to continue their life of crime. The government need to make the hard decision to draw the line. FF bailed out on their 3 strikes and your out policy. Lets start at 50 convictions and the next one gets the offender 10 years.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So if he owed you a few thousand and paid you back without you knowing it was stolen would you be happy for cab to take the money back off you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

But you agree cab should take the money off you.

I disagree. Ireland definitely needs more police officers. Unless you're in Dublin, there's a remarkable lack of police presence in pedestrian areas. Last weekend, I spent the day in Galway city, and I saw one police patrol walking around. One. All day. That's ridiculous. It's worse in my hometown, where I can't actually remember the last time I saw a police patrol on the streets, except around the copshop.

A better justice system is incredibly important, but we must recognise facts. The nature of crime is changing in this country, and we're going to need more boots on the ground to deal with it, in addition to a justice system that is efficient/effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭Tow

The chances of boots on the ground catching a crime in progress is very low. Most crimes are by repeat offenders, the current system is designed to rehabilitate the offender. But there are people who are beyond rehabilitation.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Boots on the ground allow a response to crimes in the general area. As opposed to waiting an hour or two for them to be dispatched and show up.

Boots on the ground offer a deterrent to common crime, due to the knowledge that there are police nearby, and the risk of committing a crime goes significantly up.

Who would no doubt be hunted down and have the book thrown at him/her/it/they, followed by the throwing away of the key ceremony. It's all gone tits up

This guy was jailed, after his 175 previous convictions.

So the 176th crime is the straw that breaks the camels back. Good to know.

Thief armed with butter knife, who failed to steal money, is jailed (via @IrishTimes) https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/thief-armed-with-butter-knife-who-failed-to-steal-money-is-jailed-1.4818547

I never thought i would see the day where Martin Nolan hands out 14 year sentences

then read what these animals did to the poor child and yes, 14 years is unduly lenient, should be a life sentence, or at least consecutive sentencing so they never leave jail alive

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/tantamount-to-torture-parents-who-punched-beat-and-burned-daughter-9-leaving-her-with-catastrophic-brain-injury-jailed-for-14-years-41419978.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Their is not enough prisons for all those that should be in jail

WE had more prison space in 1970 when there was very little crime

A criminal has to kill someone or get caught multiple times committing a crime to get a jail sentence these days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

That happened in my hometown. Absolute animals. Hopefully they don’t get a days peace in prison and deportation orders drawn up before they are released. They have no place in civilised society.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Probation for teen guilty of 'violent disorder' at Dart station

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/2022/0531/1302235-howth-dart/

With that sort of punishment, no wonder these 'teens' do as they please. And Yes, I would have hoped they would be locked up to discourage from doing it ever again.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

Also agree same. Can shout all we want about policing (which we should) but absolutely no point with sentences like this. I'm convinced a huge part of the issue is the courts.

All the uproar and media coverage there was of this at the time. Youth prosecuted. And free to go. This happens daily and its no wonder there's countless repeat offenders.

Next time there's some sort of incident, if that person has been arrested numerous times before and has multiple previous convictions, I know once again I can look at the courts.

I get the idea of second chances and support. I don't get using state money for legal aid, Garda resources and time spent on paperwork and court, for these types to be strolling out after it all.

Prisons have alot of discretion too. With the woman who stole 800k from Virgin media being released from a 2 year sentence after 4 months. Think of all the petty crime where this occurs every week but isn't in the headlines because the cases aren't juicy. Still affects the person let's say who had their phone stolen, or the next person who will when a repeat offender inevitably strikes again. When they should have been in prison in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭mikethecop

todays prize peach , 28 years of age and she gets upset when things dont go her way apparently is the best mitigation that her right honorable state funded representative could come up with and now requires the attention of probation service and Mental health services ,

three separate incidence's of violence towards hospital staff gardai and the general public ,

surely your right not to be attacked trump her right to do as she wants

Hospital A&E patient assaulted doctor and nurses in series of violent episodes, court hears - Independent.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

at the end of the day he's still only a child, what do you want to do put kids in prison? they tried putting everyone in jail in america and look how that turned out. these kids are abandoned by the goverment theres no facilities and nothing to do it's no wonder they take a wrong turn and get into difficulty 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

“The court heard the accused had mental health issues and would go to hospital wishing to be sectioned under the Mental Health Act.”

Sounds like a more sensible approach than sending her to prison. She sounds unwell and volatile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭mikethecop

sounds like some one who shouldn't be walking around free to attack people when things dont go her way. there are mental health services in prison too

the system should be protecting her rather than protecting the rest of us ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

So glad to see no soft sentences in this horrific case - https://www.rte.ie/news/courts/2022/0602/1302693-midlands-trial-sentencing/

Hope each one rots away in misery in Jail (<would be banned for violence & torture comments so read between the lines>)

Nothing by scum & deserve zero human rights.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

Those are surprisingly long sentences..

I can’t find anything concrete but was there a reason given why these sentences were much harsher than most that get reported?

The rte article is a bit wishy washy, and the whole debate around consent seems loose and bizarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement