Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,586 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Stand alone will give you a lot more average episodes but a lot less terrible ones too. But best of all if you are flicking through channels they are far more fun to come across.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Seven seasons, so far, of serialised stories and they've barely cracked average.

I kinda meant in general rather than just about KurtzTrek

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

pike has very tall hair/quiff

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

A lot of American actors in shows have it not just SNW - looks a bit ridiculous to me, like they're trying to look taller

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, the hair is so crazy it kinda works to emphasise Pike as the dashing, adventure captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭JayRoc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished up episode 2 and damn, it's nice to have live action Trek back. Greatly entertaining stuff, good characters, it's all good. Wasn't sure Uhura and Singh would work but both are killing it, the former especially with her self-doubt and charm.

While as my wife notes, Singh looks and acts like a slightly less angry Carmina Drummer. That's not a bad thing, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

They have done a fantastic job on the Enterprise, internal and external. It just looks gorgeous.

All Eyes On Rafah

I'm not as down in the Discovery as others but hot damn we had been starved of good, Trekkie starships. LaSirena being a piece of geometric garbage. It's a damn good looking version of the retro Enterprise.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

His hair reminds me of Kirk in the original series, he’s the same handsome kind of look off him, I like it so far.

Episode 3, and so good, so breezy and fun. A classic Trek plot / trope done well. Can't fault this show so far at all.

It was way better than I expected from reading the premise.

It has all been so solid and boilerplate- but meant in the best possible way. Fans wanted a good, traditional Trek show and we're getting it. I just hope people are watching it in the territories that get Paramount's bloody service - cos if this gets cancelled whole Discovery lives on, then all is chaos and ruin.

My only quibble and I think this is a symptom of our HD era, is some locations are way busier than others re. set decoration. The engine room has so much detail going on, various shots looked fussy, and lacking a good visual centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Agree on the size of the engine room and buttons n screens everywhere,

But fcuk isn't it great to see a warp core and console.

All Eyes On Rafah

We got some lovely closeups of the ships systems. Loved the retro planet set too.

Was wondering where it was; maybe an abandoned science or college campus. Mostly looked real and not an effect.

Its geometry too. I noticed there are angles and bevels and widgets and all sorts of decoration everywhere. But yeah, the overall feeling is great.

It reminded me of when sci-fi would just use a futuristic looking real life building. Usually some new college campus or business district.

A nice retro look all the same

Aye, gotta respect a good Location Scout who can find these kind of places for Sci-Fi shows cos it always adds a little more of that important sense of the fantastic (unless you're a local, then you just see your college I guess)

Asked in episode 3 thread, but is there any sense online how this is going down with the hardcore or broad fandom? Even those singing praise of Disco? It surely has to be generating a lot of goodwill and word of mouth?

TrekBBS posters seem to love it. But they also loved Pic and Disco at this stage for the most part. Getting same level of love but none of the critics from what I can see.

• Advertisement

In a YouTube video, one the algorithm keeps trying to push, the comments were quite negative really, enraged at Ortega's "whatever tweaks your freak". There seems to be a weird core that gets angry if every Trek character isn't Picard from TNG. Or Spock. I suspect some people are just looking for reasons to confirm the Kurtzmann Bias.

Current Trek's overuse of casual slang annoys me too. I might give it a pass if they went to the trouble of creating their own slang but as it is it's very 2010s/2020s.

Why stop at slang? It's set 200 years in the future, their entire linguistics and culture shouldn't be the same as ours - yet for the sake of the audience, they aren't speaking some immediately alienating form of English. Even Saint Battlestar of Galatica drew the line with "frak" and that weird detail of cutting the corners off pages of paper. Farscape went all in and TBH, as much as I ve the show, only a couple of its made-up curse words landed for me and you definitely needed to be in the mood for its intentional unfamilar setting and culture(s).

Anyway, Trek loves its characters obsessing over by then ancient pop-culture from the 20th century. The closest hint that the Federation even produces its own current was Jake Sisko and his writing. Meanwhile everyone speaks contemporary English to our ears. If you read a novel now from the 1820s, the English is often similar but vastly different as well; it's not uncommon with TV or film adaptations to modernise the English for accessibility. And even if one said "well, given WW3 everyone's just nostalgic for that pre-apocalypse era" ... well then, yeah; it'd make even more sense our slang would find use in that time.

Besides: if 200+ years later O'Brien screaming "bollícks" when his console explodes gets a pass, getting angry at Ortega's slang is IMO selective with outrage (not saying you're specifically outraged, but aimed at the whinging on YT I mentioned). And like I said, possibly a pre-existing bias towards nu-Trek for its own sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I don't mind the modern slang. My only real gripe was the over-casualness from time to time. Especially in Discovery. However I am getting over that (Certainly on SNW). I thought they did it right in the brief scenes of Rios as Captain in Picard too. The crew were casual enough to throw him a lighter but were still professional.

One of my concerns with the first trailer was La'an's casual "You're the XO.... Plus, you're terrifying" to Number One. But this was explained as they have had a long friendship (And were alone). The "Cool" from Uhura was OK because, let's face it, Pike nailed the "Seek out..." monologue and she did look a bit embarrassed. Ortegas is a TINY bit too casual but that's OK. This is the Federation flagship. They are going to have the best of the best. They will have their quirks (And Kirks, it seems. Ba-dum-tiss).

So regarding the slang? I'm ok with that. As long at it's not stuff that will date. I don't want to see them pull off some manoeuvre and have someone say "PLEASE tell me you Tik-Toked that" lol. I mean, Tig whatshername is one of the best characters in Discovery (IMHO) and I still laugh at her line "I dreamed I was jamming with Prince. Weird!". The crew is mainly human from Earth. And it's only 200 years in the future. 200 years of instant global communication so I don't see language changing as much as our previous 200 years.

As for the ship? Love it. Especially the warp core. That was cool. And was cool to see Uhura/Lower Decks-type quarters. (Was it 2 or 3 cubicles high by 2 cubicles wide per three walls?) Making anywhere from 12 to 18 quarters with the communal area. Looked reasonable "Realistic". Small personal space but with own privacy. As opposed to the senior officers suites.

As someone said, great to see locations again.

Yeah, it would also be interesting to see how this is faring ratings-wise (Difficult on a streaming platform) and how it is being received. You are not going to please the perma-outraged neckbeards. So why try? I consider myself a serious casual if you know what I mean. I've seen them all the Trek shows. Like them all to various degrees. Have had some of them on various formats from VHS and DVD. Haven't been to a comic-con but wouldn't be against going to one. But I'm not going to lose my sh*t over some minor discrepancy. Especially if it's related to any obscure extended-universe info.

There's an interview with Rick Berman floating around somewhere he said the manual of style for more formal speech from TNG onwards was them attempting to make a kind of future accent. It also makes it a little more timeless, TOS and the 90's Treks would be a lot more dated if they used groovy and wicked bruh.

The only 20th century pop culture obsessed character was Tom Paris, and maybe Bashir's friend Felix, the rest seemed to lean more towards royalty free classics for some unknown reason definitely not related to budget.

The O'Brien "bollocks" does stick out like a sore thumb and only got in because the producers didn't know what it meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

I don't mind the occasional casual remark or tone. They're crewmates on a mission, yes, but that mission is 5+ years long and they live where they work for the entirety of that time. I'm not sure there's much precedent for that in the overly formal military command structure which they might otherwise be following?

When things get serious people get serious, and I think they've already shown that to be the case. Otherwise I'm totally okay with the ensign saying "cool" on the bridge or the navigation officer having a bit of personality. Just less of the "POWER OF MATH, PEOPLE!!" or whatever.

Unless it's been stated otherwise in SNW there isn't a static crew on the ship for the entire mission. Crew transfer on and off all the time, senior and main character syndrome officers aside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Okay, that's fair enough. Still though, I'm happy with a less than strictly formal tone at times. Not to Discovery levels of nonsense but Pike seems a lot more chill than Picard or Sisko and probably a nicer guy than Kirk, so that's the kind of bridge he runs and that's fine.

Advertisement