Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

According to wiki, he has only been missing from two? And billed to be in the rest?

He only transporter-ed aboard at the end of the first episode.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I discounted the first episode since he had no lines and played no role in the story beyond that single transporter shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Ohhh, didn't know the actor was actually blind

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Legally blind at least, he doesn't lack all sight, he has some partially in one eye after developing cancer at just 18 months old.

• Advertisement

So how did you prepare to play Hemmer?

How did I prep?

Well, it was three and a half hours and a prosthetics chair, gluing 15 pieces on my face

so beyond that I watched Star Trek: Enterprise where the the Aenar are introduced. I think in season four, I watched those two episodes, dug around in as much online Trek lore as I could find about them. There’s not a lot about the Aenar. So I felt like I kind of had free range to build a little bit. He’s an engineer. So I talked to some engineering friends. And you know, just kind of crossed my fingers, and leapt off the bridge.

Interview: Bruce Horak

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

NIce to see he actually done some research and actually watched some Star Trek I wonder how many of the other new actors can say that?

That is why this show is so much better than discovery. Because tge writers here must have done there research too. They have done very good so far.

I wonder will we see any Klingons at all and if so what will they be like?

I would like to see some Telleraite in it too. A pity there is no Tellerite crew member.

Hopefully at some stage they mention Archer and the NX-01Enterprise too maybe Shran as well maybe saying how he was the first Andorrian to serve in Starfleet even do we never actually got to see that on screen that would be cool and would make in Canon.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

USS Archer 

The ship Una took for her first contact mission is called the USS Archer. This is a reference to Captain Jonathan Archer, the captain of the USS Enterprise NX-01 in the series Enterprise. Interestingly, the Discovery season 4 premiere revealed an “Archer Spacedock.” Also, there was another USS Archer in the 24th century, referenced in Star Trek: Nemesis. Could there have been a USS Archer in that giant Stargazer-led fleet at the beginning of Picard season 2? Maybe?

Episode 1 Easter eggs

But I get your point of discussion of them in episode, would solidify it more.

There's a planet called Archer IV, presumably in a star system named Archer, mentioned in Yesterday's Enterprise that a computer display in In a Mirror Darkly retconned into being named after Jonathon Archer. It's the planet from the Enterprise episode Strange New World that makes humans paranoid which is kind of fitting for Archer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Actually would be great if they undid the final espiode of Enterprise. Have Admiral Tucker appear on a viewscreen or something with Ambassador Shran.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, Tucker didn't seem the type who might take a commission that high up the food-chain. Seemed happiest in the engine room, tinkering.

The O'Brien route of Professor of Engineering or going on to a cutting edge design team seems more like the direction he'd take if he had to move up

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Actually, thinking about it, Picard is the only officer I can think of right now for whom Admiral is a title that fits. I know Janeway was an admiral but oof, that felt like weird fan service (she's still admiral in that kids show, right?). I suppose the writing for her slightly inconsistent persona, while the rest were career captions and "trench " commanders IMO.

I think Archer would fit as an admiral, he could be the ur-unhinged admiral that was so common in TOS.

Ms

There was plenty of unhinged Admirals in TNG to and DS9 although maybe less in DS9.

Remember the Admiral in TNG that could not believe Picard was helping the Bajoransvthat the Cardassians had him believing had caused some atrocities when ship did not even impulse engines never mind warp engines.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Made sense that she got a promotion given that she proved herself in the Delta quadrant. Though the writers/costume designers did mess up a little by having her skip over Commodore (was that rank even used in the TNG era?) and Rear Admiral ranks straight to Vice Admiral. Felt jarring more because they were artificially stunting Picard's career for the sake of keeping him as captain of the Enterprise (just as the writers artificially stunted Riker's career to avoid shaking up the cast). They did a much better job of dealing with Kirk's rank in the TOS movies imo.

Oh is the only one I can think of but she's in Picard. They might have stopped using it because commodore sounds too close to commander the same reason in Enterprise Hayes the MACO is a major when the position he holds is more something a captain (of the marine or army variety) would hold but some people might have found two captains confusing.

Janeway clearly knew where some bodies were buried or

Skip to 4:18 if the time code doesn't work

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Finally getting around to this and my first thought watching episode 1 was holy crap, is that optimism? Feels like a long time.

• Advertisement

Why did Strange New Worlds Choose an Aenar as their Chief Engineer?

1,092 views 11 Jun 2022

As there was discussion about him, got my interest when it showed up in my feed!

Also featuring the "EE-nar" is a tie-back to ENT as that is the only other show they are previously seen in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

I love this show already! Restored my faith in Star Trek, all the episodes have been good but episode 5 just kept on giving.

Episode 6 was the first clunker; and by clunker I mean an episode that merely conspired to be OK. A grade B among a field of A grade stuff. Was one of those Trek planets were there was a ceremonial Thing and the Thing goes blip. Enterprise to the rescue.

But even within that structure, gotta love how effortlessly they thread little character moments and expansions; Pikes boyish idiocy when he meets a prior fling - and Una's smirk. Or Singh and Uhura bonding, the latter contributing to the mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

I feel that star trek is trying to push another bad romance/ love triangle with spock. Star trek seems incapable of ever writing a believable romance in their tv or movies, well at least for its main characters with the spock uhuru and Deanna Troi love triangle with worf and riker being particularly bad.

Worf and Dax? But yes, I've often said Trek, old Trek, was terrible with romance to the point it felt like a neutered almost celibate kind of show. I like Spock's relationship with T'Pring though; there's good chemistry, insofar as two Vulcans can have any, though they play it well IMO. To many play "Vulcan" as "àsshole"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I don't think I have ever liked a Trek romance between 2 main characters.

I liked Stamets/Culber at first but Culber wasn't main back then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,674 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I can't believe how consistently good this show is so far. A perfect blend of old Star Trek formula with a modern approach. The influence of the hacks who made Disc and Picard can still be felt - I can guess which ideas were Kurtzman's - but the show is working in spite of this through a focus on good character writing and episodic story telling. For the first time you can also feel the involvement of someone who really understands Star Trek. All the main cast are really good and already seem to have a very strong grasp on their characters. I am especially impressed by the light touch many episodes have. The show is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Well, in fairness to the writers, this was alluded to in TOS. I thought they are playing it well. Chapel is fun and I do like their ball-hopping. But I don't want to see it become a core storyline..... Mainly because T'Pring is also awesome.

I thought Jadzia/Worf relationship was OK. I mean it's easier to do something like that with a (let's be honest) one-dimensional species like the Klingons. I mean, "Rah, you fight and are tough therefor you are worthy. Raaah" (I know there was more of course but, in general, it was that).

Stamets/Culper is well done and believable (But that "Parent" relationship with Adria was beyond creepy and regressive). Worf/Troi really smacked of running out of ideas of what to do with both characters.

Must admit, I missed the Worf/Riker one 😁

As for the show in general. Again, The difference between this and Picard (And especially Discovery) is startling. I've said it before in other threads but on the first couple of episodes they were able to give sufficient screen-time to up to 7 characters per episode. They were able to have up to 3 coherent storylines in parallel. All in 50 mins. Within 3 episodes they expanded the entire crew to where you knew each of their personalities (Even if one didn't necessarily like them all). For God's sake, I only found out the name of the black navigator(?) on Disco this season. And I've already forgotten it again.

One could say that Discovery was always intended to focus more intently on one character than other series but there STILL should be enough time to flesh out more than 4 characters in, what, 40 episodes of Discovery so far?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Ah yes this series is way better than discovery but at least that show gave us new pike and new new spock. I blame kirk for the tendency of roamnces in the show to be short term planet and bed hopping affairs though i suppose that doesnt excuse Riker going after a number of female crew members subordinate to him. I like chapel and Spock, two vulcans together can get a bit too logical and boring

• Advertisement

The simple efficiency of Strange New Worlds writing is such that I could give you a summary of all the main cast with ease, barely without thinking. What's more depressing is that kind of simple storytelling is a bit of a forgotten art

Advertisement