Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

What a bold and out of the box idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,424 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Wait.. Wait.... Wait...

Youre saying we should give the fans what they've been asking for???

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the final episode.

But was it not a bit ridiculous that the Romulan's were fooled by the cargo ships faking they were startfleet war ships.

I mean, we're being told they've been at war for so long so you'd think the Romulan's would know what a cargo vessel looked like, and wouldn't the Roumulan's be able be able to scan ships for their weaponry capability anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That whole scene was exactly the kind of over the top KurtzTrek bllsht that SNW managed to avoid for most of the season.

I always took Boimler's speech to the Titan away team to be a fk you to Discovery so that award speech is twice now that new shows have referenced a dislike of what Disco is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,420 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Forgive me, I'm only a causal treker, so most of that went over my head. I think you're agreeing with my point though.

The other thing I found a bit off was the way the Romulan bridge looked like it was filmed in a broom cupboard. On the one hand you have an overly large starfleet bridge with every colour in the light spectrum represented, and on the other a Romulan bridge that seemed tiny and congested in comparison with a colour scheme of only black and green. Which is exactly the same colour scheme as the Borg ships. Is black and green a universal indicator of a baddie?

• Advertisement

A line about faking weapons signatures would've gone a long way there. The idea, in the script, wasn't bad but I think the very industrial look of the cargo ships really let it down. That and not casting James Frain as the Romulan commander.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The drone fleet was an attempt at classic Kirk trying to bluff his way out of a bad situation. They were more convincing and elaborate than some of his bluffs. I am not sure it's accurate to say the Romulans were fooled by it. They wanted a war and attacked regardless. The drones were just to buy time so the Enterprise could escape so in that sense it worked but only just. My only problem with it was the fake looking way they all warped in simultaneously.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭Rawr

So I started watching Strange New Worlds, and so far it is.....good? A live action Trek show that is good, and that I actually want to watch more of. What bizarre timeline have we entered now? Need to catch up with everyone, but so far it's a bit of Trek. I like the crew, I can remember most of them. Young Spock minus Michael is a pretty good (imagine that) and the stories so far are proper Trek mini-adventures.

Yes, more of this please.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

One neat, subtle Trek trope taken from DS9 is they have created "pods" of characters to mix together for easy character development or chemistry: Spock and Chapel; Singh and Oona; Pike and Oona; Uhura and Hemmer etc etc. It just makes writing easier if an ensemble can have some natural fits for easy character banter - something none of the other live action nuTrek shows have.

It's all very obvious, very basic stuff - but only after someone has the nerve to do it, pushing against the fashion in mainstream CW adjacent productions, with all that overcomplicated writing with "feelings" centric scripts or overblown interpersonal drama. I'm fúcking sick of American writing pulling this "the family is the one you choose" bollix. SNW kinda does it, but has the nous to earn it, without losing sight of the fact it's still a crew of professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Faaaaaaamily

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I think the small size and simpleness of the Romulan bridge is easily explained by the fact its a prototype vessel. No frills no creature comforts, just a platform for the new plasma weapon they were testing .

LD crossover is live action. I'm more curious to see how the uniforms translate to live action than anything.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/news/star-trek-lower-decks-jack-quaid-clarifies-strange-new-worlds-crossover-details/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I imagine they'll look like slightly more expensive versions of the ones worn by the cast at a Convention;

Makes sense as the body shape of cartoon characters doesnt translate well. They would either be tiny or stretched and out of proportion looking.

We got a kinda look at them live action before

• Registered Users Posts: 20,985 ✭✭✭✭Stark

That's cool. Newsome and Quaid look very much like the animated versions of themselves so should be pretty seamless and not too jarring.

I prefer those uniforms to the Picard era ones.

All Eyes On Rafah

I like the "current" Picard one but not the flashback one.

Actually I think those are the ones I was thinking of.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭eadrom

I guess I hadn't really thought about it, or I knew and then forgot, but I'd assumed those shows were set around the same time. Not really -- Lower Decks is 2380 and Picard started in 2399.

Makes sense now that I do think about it. Riker on the Titan in Lower Decks, etc.

For reference DS9 ended in 2375 and Voyager in 2378. Nemesis was 2379.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Different sections used different uniforms all the time. For example Sisko switched back from the new uniform over to the TNG version when he had to visit HQ. Discovery had it's own uniform while Enterprise used the colour tops. (and even then experimented with turtle necks for a time), we can see the grey suits are still in use in Lower Decks era and another variant has been introduced on Prodigy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭corkie

Was re-watching the "The Menagerie, Part II" on 'Legend' and was wondering what happened to

J. Mia Colt

and why she hasn't made an appearance in SNW?

This character eventually developed into Yeoman Janice Rand for the later episodes of Star Trek: The Original Series.

Discovery was the standard uniform and Starfleet was transitioning slowly to the SNW ones. Pike mentioned it in Discovery.

Lower Decks had a DS9 uniform last week too in active service.

DS9 was supposed to be the "station uniform" but time constraints meant that they used them for Generations instead of this which only saw light of day in the Generations toys

Travis Mayweather played by Anthony Montgomery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,449 ✭✭✭corkie

Different character?

Colt was portrayed by stunt actress Nicole Dickinson. She only spoke in her second appearance. Her name and rank were identified in the episode's end credits, as an apparent homage to J.M. Colt, Captain Pike's Human yeoman in "The Cage".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I can not wait to see how they do this. I look forward to it.

It would be great if "Lower Decks" got a SNW crossover episode too do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭Rawr

I kind of guess that the Lower Decks "Cali Class" Uniform is heavily based on the original Generations uniform design. It's got that same off-center flap similar to the TOS movies, while blended with the traditional TNG colour scheme.

I wonder if they'll ever give an explanation as to why California and Parlament Class ships have this new uniform while the rest of Starfleet are still in First Contact grey. It could be down to the role / location distinctions they hinted at in "Paradise Lost" with Sisco going back to TNG style while serving on Earth.

What gets a bit confusing this why they have a basic Starfleet chevron on their comm-badge when all 23rd Century comm-badges before and after had a decoration behind the chevron.

US militaries which is where a lot of Starfleet protocol is cribbed from gives the local commander a lot of leeway with regard to which uniform to wear and at what times.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭flazio

This was Admiral Janeways uniform in 2384.

For context the latest episode of Lower Decks took place 2 years previous so it looks like the design caught on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭santana75

So I just finished season 1 of strange new worlds and overall this has a lot of potential. Its definitely Trek though, the way lower decks is trek and discovery isn't. There were a few ropey moments, which is to be expected in a first season where everyone is finding their feet. I mean DS9s first season was very dodgy indeed. Anson mount is as good a captain as I've ever seen and the guy playing Spock is brilliant. However your one playing La'an noonien singh is awful. She overacts everything and I found myself forward winding everytime she had any dialogue. Maybe she'll get more of a balance as time goes on, I seem to remember nana visitor overcooking her performances by a fair bit early in DS9s run but after a few seasons she had toned it down and found the sweet spot. The last episode of the season was epic, and I'm looking forward to where it will all go. This could be a classic trek

Advertisement