Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's not Those Old Scientists, it's not Discovery, it's not Next Gen, Voyager or DS Nine or even The Orville done right. It's Strange New Worlds, it is it's own thing and this week it was freaking awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Yeah this is far from like DISCO, every character is getting to shine

• Registered Users Posts: 25,584 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's grand but it doesn't mean we can't criticise it when it gets soppy or over reverential the same way we did when Disco or Picard done it.

Despite being very good it has a lot of the hallmarks of KurtzTrek that I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,047 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So, you want to see Star Trek: Black Mirror (the Channel 4 version) or something? Sounds miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Are these KurtzTrek hallmarks in the room with us now?

• Advertisement

What in God's name are you talking about.

I just find the Spock/Chapel stuff boring or every Uhura story being about her insecurity.

Chapel solved an episode by telling an alien she loved Spock. If Disco done that it would be ripped to sht especially by @Evade above so I'm sorry I hold the almighty SNW to the same standards.

Point on the doll where those hallmarks hurt you...

That was an absolutely amazing episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Anson Mount is great in the comedic scenes but he also shines in dramatic scenes like he did in hell on wheels. Unfortunately this season hasn't given him meatier dramatic scenes yet. I don't mind Chapel v spock think every shows have romances to make them seem grounded in reality but if doomed it seems a bit of a waste of time.

One thing, Spock being emotional around this time is period correct so I'm kinda glad they're showing it and the realisation that it's a passing phase.

Something is going to trigger his rejection of human side again

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If Disco did that episode it'd have Michael crying about how she loved everyone and how Starfleet was Starfleet cos everyone in Starfleet is so Starfleet. Then the musical score would climax and we'd have a 30 second pan across the bridge as everyone looked in awe at Michael, sorry, the alien. Sure we've had Disco doing this story, of sorts with the Crying Boy Blowing up the Dillithium, and it was pompous and overblown.

There's no question, SNW definitely has a preference towards emotionality driving the bus at times, it can't be denied: but a big difference here IMO is that this shows character and charisma is completely different to Disco; as with all things it's all in the execution that makes the difference. SNW has a lighter touch, coupled with a cast who have more charisma and magnetism to sell those emotional moments that might otherwise be a little cornball or OTT. So like I said, TOS basically.

• Advertisement

Not saying at all it's exactly the same as or as bad as Discovery but it's certainly not like TOS in that regard. TOS had absolutely zero soap opera drama or personal drama.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ehhhhhhh, I don't know about that but I suspect we'll talk around in circles from our respective poles. TOS had nothing at the level of the will-they-won't-they ongoing drama, but certainly the constant conveyor belt of softly-lit women for Kirk to seduce made it all a bit ... operatic in that sense; TOS living up to the "Science Romance" moniker from fadó before the nerds truly took over.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Just sat through (endured) Those Old Scientists. I found the two Lower Decks charters insufferable and a complete pain.

Definitely not looking forward to “the musical”.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,538 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

is there an amount of Lower Decks that would be recommended to have seen before the latest episode of SNW? I have never watched it before, adn watched the first 4 episodes last night and I like it well enough but I both don't want to have to watch the next 26 epidodes before watching SNW, or be spoiled on some character development in Lower Decks, assuming i continue to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭gipi

I've never seen Lower Decks and it didn't spoil the SNW episode for me.

I know from the crossover that I wouldn't be bothered to watch any of LD - just not for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

If you've seen the first 4 episodes, you'd have the gist of the 4 main characters, and all that's needed for the SNW episode.

You should still watch the rest of Lower Decks. It does have some great moments, up there with the best of Trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Lower Decks is brilliant. Yes in the beginning Marriner is really annoying but they dial that back a bit as the seasons go on. It way more Star Trek than Discovery ever was. It has everything that proper Trek shoukd have in it like crew members working together to solve problems and nearly all thd episode's are well written too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Another note of recommendation for Lower Decks. They tone down the personality of Mariner way back as the show goes on - and TBH lean into it in other ways, with context given to why she's so outsized and brazen. There was/is a reason for it, and one that informed one of the stronger episodes of the run this far.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

I don't think that is a good idea, TMP and TNG already used plots from Phase II?

Sure, fans already did something similar with Star Trek: New Voyages, but that’s a fan-made interpretation. This idea would be canon.

The stories have already been covered, and some people want future stories after Picard, aka 'Legacy'.

Post edited by corkie on

I don't want more Kirk and I certainly don't want it with an actor who makes Alan Partridge look charismatic.

Probably all shte talk anyway. There seems to be an article generated every time someone muses any sort of idea out loud.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

I really don't like the sound of "Star Trek: Legacy". I'd be happy with a (good) show set in post-TNG era but not one that's overly concerned with legacy characters, their children, and the cameo of the week. To actually even go so far as to suggest calling it "Star Trek: Legacy" has me worried from the outset.

And a Star Trek: Phase 2.... eh, similarly sounds like a lack of ideas.

To be honest before SNW I'd have been dead set against it but on the strength of that show, at the moment I think I might be happy enough if they just roll on into the TOS years and have at it. Remake a few episodes, do some new stuff. Of the three ideas on the table here, I'd choose that one.

Although only for a lack of any better suggestions.

Well "Phase II" was just renamed the equally stupid sounding The Next Generation and given a few tweaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭eadrom

Which is kinda why I think it's a silly idea now. Not concerned about the name really, it's the idea of doing something in that sliver of time between TOS and TMP, or between TMP and TWOK. Just sounds like fan service nonsense and as you said, we basically got what Phase 2 stories they had planned in TNG seasons 1 and 2 already.

If they can't continue forward from Picard, for whatever reason, setting another prequel during the 70ish years between VI (or the opening of Generations) and the start of TNG would be better for how much leeway they can take.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes that would be the perfect time to set it may on a Constellation class ship like the Stargazer or even a Miranda class ship or even the Enterprise B or C or better yet set it on the Enterprise B first and then on the Enterprise C.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Or give us the bloody Excelsior series they were promising decades ago

Nah I'm sick of legacy ships and characters.

New ship, new crew.

That was a George Takei April fools' joke wasn't it?

It's a shame George Takei is just the wrong side of old that the Excelsior chatter can't properly happen and take off. Wonder if any other legacy Sequels might be ln the mix with Picard pulling it out of the bag at the last minute

• Advertisement

It's a pity we can't get the second coming of The Sisko

Advertisement