Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

pixelburp wrote: »
    You can have both: I'm not advocating a purely serialised approach - but the reality is Episodic TV in its purist form, seen in TNG, is functionally dead. But you still have plenty of shows with more of a "case of the week" structure, where the episodes are bookended by the continuing Big Bad or main Arc. So while still visiting Strange New Worlds, there could be a lingering presence related to Pike's future. Just the fact it was set up as a big Character Moment in season 2 of Disco, it'd be a little passing strange if it's not integrated in his own show.

Strange New Worlds and the comments in the announcement video suggest this a return to the space exploration of TOS as opposed to protecting the Federation from a big bad in Discovery or the type of story in Picard.

They could do a "planet of week" and the story arcs be about the crew than an an epic threat.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Looking forward to this. There’s no legitimate way of watching the short treks unless you’re American is there? Thought maybe Netflix but none.

They( Seasons 1's ) are hidden in the Trailers and more section on Netflix.
    No season 2 yet though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

https://tvline.com/2021/03/12/van-helsing-final-season-5-premiere-date-trailer-syfy/
    Paramount+’s forthcoming Star Trek: Strange New Worlds series has added the following actors to its cast: Babs Olusanmokun (Marvel’s The Defenders), Christina Chong (Dominion, 24: Live Another Day), Celia Rose Gooding (Broadway’s Jagged Little Pill), Jess Bush (Australia’s Playing for Keeps) and Melissa Navia (Dietland). Watch a video of the cast announcing the start of production

Looks like cast is 4 women to 3 men.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

CastorTroy wrote: »

Much like with Lower Decks season 2, I really hope that Kurtzman keeps his distance and lets someone capable show-run this. If they can get someone who can do a good job here, this could be good.

They'll have Pike have his accident in the first episode then somehow bring Michael in to replace him

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Here's a thought, let's see how long we can take this thread without invoking Burnham for snarky giggles? :)

Anyway, the meat of this production for me is the showrunner, so looking at this, seems like Akiva Goldman wrote and directed the premiere, with Goldsman and Henry Alonso Myers acting as co-showrunners with Kurtzman. Now, we can't know how involved Kurtzman will be, leaving the latter two as day to day chiefs, maybe. Goldman is ... ... well he's not great, with some serious blemishes on his writing CV.

Myers is interesting though, cos he was producer on the underated The Magicians on SyFy, Ugly Betty, and worked on CSI so knows the world of procedurals - relevant for those hoping for more episodic stories. It's solid without the kind of CW sludge seen with Discovery's Michelle Paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

I'd gladly see the budget halved if it meant more room for stand alone episodes. Shorter seasons invite serialisation, and with so few episodes half of them end up servicing the season arc leaving little room for character arcs or interesting diversions. A longer season with, by necessity, a smaller budget, would force the writers to come up with interesting stories rather then relying on wizz bang special fx . It also wouldn't preclude having a seasonal arc , it would just leave the writers more space to paint outside the lines.

Here's a thought, let's see how long we can take this thread without invoking Burnham for snarky giggles? :)

Anyway, the meat of this production for me is the showrunner, so looking at this, seems like Akiva Goldman wrote and directed the premiere, with Goldsman and Henry Alonso Myers acting as co-showrunners with Kurtzman. Now, we can't know how involved Kurtzman will be, leaving the latter two as day to day chiefs, maybe. Goldman is ... ... well he's not great, with some serious blemishes on his writing CV.

Myers is interesting though, cos he was producer on the underated The Magicians on SyFy, Ugly Betty, and worked on CSI so knows the world of procedurals. It's solid without the kind of CW sludge seen with Discovery's Michelle Paradise.

Hmmm....Akiva Goldsman. Some forboding to see people crossing over from Discovery. Had a look at his filmography now, and one thing that sticks out right away is his writing credit for the 1997 film Batman & Robin :eek:

He's done some ok stuff...but there's plenty of bad there. I hope he doesn't get to write too many episodes.

Hopefully with Myers something can be salvaged. I am however fearful that this will be yet another good concept on paper...that they end up trashing with feckless production handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

If they're smart they'll look at all the ways STD went wrong but are now too far gone to change and not repeat the same mistakes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,275 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Evade wrote: »
    If they're smart they'll look at all the ways STD went wrong but are now too far gone to change and not repeat the same mistakes.

Lower Decks says otherwise. I'm happy to give this production the benefit of the doubt until shown otherwise TBH. Books, covers n all that jazz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

Lower Decks says otherwise. I'm happy to give this production the benefit of the doubt until shown otherwise TBH. Books, covers n all that jazz.

Bad punctuation on my part. I meant STD's mistakes are too ingrained to do any significant changes now and SNW have an opportunity to look at them and not repeat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Great news. Hopefully it will be the penicillin to STD's Burnhamitis. TOS was about exploration whereas STD seemed to be written by a bunch of people who thought that they knew everything but knew nothing about Star Trek.

Regards...jmcc

A guest star has tested positive for CoVid, but apparently has had no effect on production.

https://deadline.com/2021/04/star-trek-strange-new-worlds-crew-members-quarantine-guest-star-positive-covid-19-production-not-impacted-1234734642/
    An actor who had flown in to Toronto for a guest role on Paramount+’s new series Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, has tested positive for coronavirus.

The person, who is believed to have come from Vancouver, had not made it to the set of the show. He had only came in contact with a few people during a fitting when the positive test result was received as part of CBS Studios’ rigorous testing procedures in accordance with the industrywide Covid protocols that have keep TV sets safe. As part of that, contact tracing was immediately initiated, and the affected person, as well as the few people that were deemed close contacts, have been quarantined. Noone else has tested positive at this time.

According to sources, production on Star Trek: Strange New Worlds has not been impacted, and the series is still filming.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That's terrible. Hopefully it's not too bad just mild and they recover fully. I wonder have they got a stand in actor to do the part he was going to do or will they just change the story a bit?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Can any give a guess as to when this show and Discovery Season 3 might be released?

I guess to answer my own post from the Lower Decks thread after looking them up, I think Discovery will be after Lower Decks then Picard and Strange New Worlds. Looking on wikipedia filiming on Strange New Worlds is only due to finish in July.
    That's from me seeing Lower Decks has the August date, Discovery just getting 2021, Picard getting 2022 and this not having any date

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ Prodigy may also have a slot in-between there somewhere

Chrome text link: - https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/star-trek-movies-shows-paramount-plus-1125739/#:~:text=In%20honor%20of,Prodigy%C2%A0(Late%202021)

"Set your phasers to stream—here’s all the new Star Trek content coming your way.

Star Trek: Picard Season 2 (2022)
    Women In Motion: Nichelle Nichols, Star Trek and the Remaking of NASA (Documentary—June 3rd, 2021)
    Star Trek: Discovery Season 4 (2021)
    Star Trek: Lower Decks Season 2 (August 12th, 2021)
    Star Trek: Prodigy (Late 2021)"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I guess to answer my own post from the Lower Decks thread after looking them up, I think Discovery will be after Lower Decks then Picard and Strange New Worlds. Looking on wikipedia filiming on Strange New Worlds is only due to finish in July.
    That's from me seeing Lower Decks has the August date, Discovery just getting 2021, Picard getting 2022 and this not having any date

I didn’t know Picard season 2 had started filming.

Awesome but Strange New Worlds is the one I want most. I was hoping for a Pike series after only a couple Discovery season 2 episodes and more so after Spock appeared.

Honestly cannot believe they made such a great decision to do it. Plus it will be a traditional adventure of the week series.

Forgot Paramount+ is CBS Access. Thought they were separate.
    If Prodigy is good, it's a good job they're not relying on Nickelodeon's schedule since it will be airing there as well. Otherwise it would take about 5 months to air all 10 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Have we any release date for this series yet?

• Advertisement

AFAIK, still nothing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

These new producers are *really* into the TOS Command Chevron, aren't they?
    It seems they try to wedge it into anything they can. I don't remember it having such prominent place in Trek marketing until recent years.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

I used that logo making the poster, its not official yet, and may still be changed, but the chevron was used on set as seen on the back of the chairs here

https://twitter.com/flying_lobster/status/1403142526341685253

Production has wrapped for season 1... A trailer can't be that far away?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,907 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Hopefully sometime in the next month or two we will have a trailer.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Casting annoucement and kinda clips.. ish.. from Star Trek day:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Dunno why but I am so hyped for this (after the let down of Picard and Discovery, but I still enjoy anything Trek)

Uhura & Chapel; that is a surprise. I also find myself putting a lot of hype and hope into this show. It feels like it might be a chance for a do-over.

• Advertisement

Is that the first time we found out Number 1's name?

Advertisement