Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ire v wales match tread ! 14.15 Feb fifth

Comments

Hospital pass from Murray led to that. Murray not having a great time since he came on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

Debut Motm for Hansen

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the passing of JGP is missed , so much quicker than Murray now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,225 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Ah Donal.

Hansen played very well, but there's a half dozen players more worthy of the MoTM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

boy from Cabra comes good

fairytale stuff

It's a nice story on his debut and he's played really well but Porter, Sexton or Ringrose for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Hansen MOTM?!

he can be happy with his debut but that’s tokenism.

ringrose, VDF as a minimum ahead of him imo.

still well done lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭mr. pleasant

Sloppy last 20 min after the changes, could have been better. But ultimately completely in control, bagging the TBP, no injuries, game time for a few players that needed it. Good start.

Probably Sextons best performance in years

I’d give it to Porter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Good to see the snipe coming back into Murray's game. Quick ruck ball giving him some space to probe.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

some very good passages. Wales missing 8 players.

very hard to say was that a very good perfomance. a solid performance, again exposing Ireland's lack of ruthlessness.

Its quite obvious that Joey isn't the future at ten.

Job was done after 60 minutes, but I'm still a but disappointed by the final 20. Feels like we were going through the motions when we could've really out Wales to the sword.

I know it's Carberys first game in a while, but he just doesn't look comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭A-Train

Much better second half from Ireland. Onwards to next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Cringe motm from lenihan

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭TomsOnTheRoof

Should have had another two or three tries to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thepogues

Nice to see Murray sniping again. The last thing Wales were expecting!

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Apothic_Red

If I have hair like Hansen I'd never wear a scrum cap.

Wtf happened to the Cabra Kidds accent?

couple of months in Australia and he comes backs with a twang

• Advertisement

My big issue with Carbery is his hesitation. He looks like he's unsure what he's doing next. He receives the ball and just stutters. It puts the breaks on everything going on with the backline outside him. When Sexton gets the ball he attacks the line and stresses the defence. Carbery just invites pressure onto himself. I noticed that a few seasons ago when Leinster played Munster with Carbery at 10 in red. We just swarmed him and he struggled.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Well game is over but no there was 2 or 3 ahead of him Henson was always getting it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

I thought so too. Almost as cringy as Liam Toland giving MOTM to a losing Munster player in a Munster/Leinster derby...

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

Excellent win.

But it's no benchmark against a poor and badly depleted Welsh side.

The French game next week will tell us more. The games against them, England and Scotland will tell us exactly how far we've come.

Honestly, we could just as easily beaten Wales 40 nil there.

Took a huge brain fart to get then on the board and otherwise they didn't fire a single shot.

They're in worse shape than I thought, could be a really tough six nations for them.

Joey play’s what’s in front of him. He will only get better the more times he starts.

i think it’s wrong to compare him to Sexton as they are very different players

decision making is the hardest thing in sport

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Shouldn’t be allowed wear a scrum cap with hair like that

Bealham needs to do something about his. Cultural appropriation and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

First 20 each half was excellent.

20-40 was sloppy.

Last 20 was going through the motions. Hard for the bench to make an impression when the game is a dead duck at that stage.

Murray looked poor. He had a couple of breaks but Wales had given up having any sort of structure at that stage.

We have a real problem at 10 beyond Sexton. Carbery needs a lot of minutes at Munster IMO to get match sharp.

Bealham I thought was the best of the bench

Sexton is vital next week if we want to win in Paris

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Carbery should have been told get time with munster and maybe back for game 3

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Joey's 27 this year. We've been hearing all of this for years now.

Yes, he's been crippled by injuries but the time for him to kick on is fast running out.

I still maintain that he's a better 15 than he is a 10, but I don't think there's any need to open that can of worms again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,742 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

• Advertisement

Ringrose and Keenan have been put under a lot of pressure by Hume and Lowry, but the former were excellent today. I know there was some disgruntlement with the selection, but you can see why Farrell went the way he did. They're brilliant players who excel at test level.

We're in a very good position when quality players are forced to raise their level even higher to keep their place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Lenihan loves giving MOTM to the guy with the interesting story. There were a couple of guys more deserving but Hansen didn't put a foot wrong all day, great debut.

Jaysus but Wales are awful.

No exactly he’s a 10. The move to FB was not what Ireland ever needed. It didn’t help him develop as a 10 and yes he has been crippled by injury.

So to write him off as a viable alternative is both pointless and unfair.

He has the talent he is just a different fly-half to Sexton.

I agree with this. I think people making a bit of an issue out of it need to calm down a bit. Hansen had a great game and was well in the conversation.

I personally would have given it to VDF, Porter and Ringrose before him but his interview afterwards was great. Can't help but be delighted for him.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I really enjoyed the game

First time watching a game in the pub since this **** kicked off.

Twas great

Rows and dreads were aplenty in Celtic and Norse cultures

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭ujjjjjjjjj

Great result and job done. Question marks for me in terms of selection are the bench. Don't see what Carbery, Murray and O'Mahony bring in terms of brining impact and tempo. Would prefer to see Carty, Casey and Coombes.

Ringrose or Sexton MOTM for me. Mack was fine but hardly a MOTM performance.

Bit harsh on POM I think. He's always made a great impact wearing the 20 jersey, including today.

And I say this as someone who was always first to criticise him.

Don't disagree he gives his all and did well today but he ain't a ball carrier and is nearing the end of his career and having a Coombes etc come on with 20 to 30 to go who can carry ball against a tiring defence is the way to go for me.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

Agree with this....also, I could be reading it wrong, but I think he has some positioning issues too... He seems to be too close to players outside him at times. Maybe it's the same issue...

I've been saying POM should be dropped for ages but he's having his best season for a long time imo and he's a good bench option now, even today was doing his thing in the lineout, won a good turnover, and has been playing well all season. Did very well against Argentina in the autumn as well when he started. Coombes will get his chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Genuinely my favourite team to beat in the 6N is Wales, so I am delighed with the result.

Joey is a better 15 than a 10. Has never overly convinced me at outhalf - looks like a great rugby player doing a decent impression of a 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭mangobob

Watching that was a strange experience for me. If you offered me that result beforehand - a bonus point win with a 22 point winning margin and no injuries - I would be have been delighted. But I found that an incredibly frustrating game. We left at least 10 to 20 points out there and having shut Wales out completely, we then then handed them 7 points at the end which really felt like a kick in the nuts. I badly wanted to nil them and watching us waste so many opportunities in the last 10 or 15 minutes was annoying.

But I guess I am being petty. Great result, cobwebs have been blown off and I expect us to go up a couple of levels in terms of accuracy and ruthlessness next week. We will certainly need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Given how poor the opposition were we put in a decent performance but I wouldnt be getting carried away at all. I am delighted to see us concede so few penalties but again this was helped in no small way by a woeful wales, who are juts a shadow of their former selves.

I felt we should have put more points on the board. While we saw some expansive play with the ball in hand and some offloading I felt we lacked real bite going forward against a terrible wales team. We seem to be very lateral without much penetration. We have a bad habit of going in to contact and to ground rather than popping a pass out of a tackle to keep the ball alive. The wrap around was used to good effect today but we need more than that, like players running a variety of angles at pace to break the line. 3 times in the welsh 22 we had good opportunities to score and failed. We lack creativity and ingenuity in attack. I'm nitpicking but you have to take chances against poor opposition in their 22 when you are on the front foot. France will pose a totally different proposition. On what I saw today France will be favourites for sure next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,617 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A fine outing for Hansen.

A lot of people in these parts had written him off and have a big wedge of humble pie to be eating.

He was heavily involved in all but one of out trys and didnt put a foot wrong.

Porter for me though was motm.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭mr. pleasant

i always thought it's pretty standard to give MOTM to the player on debut if he plays well, his side is winning and there's no performance by anyone else that forces the call to go their way? Plus any of Porter, Sexton etc will hardly lose sleep over this. I'm as happy as anyone to drag Lenihan if the opportunity arises - but not for that call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,967 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

First thing I'll say is we have to be more clinical in the 22, we aren't beating France next week if we are that poor at finishing moves off with scores.

As regards player of the match I personally thought it was the man whose been exceptional in every game I've seen him play for the last six months and that's Van Der Flier just ahead of Ringrose.

I'm happy to see a Connacht player get it though. 😀

As regards O'Mahony, I think he's a great option off the bench these days with the way he's playing. People mention other players but with POM you are getting a leader and former captain as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

A great win but Wales were absolutely awful. The errors today from Ireland wouldn't want to be repeated against France, they'll punish us much harder than Wales did today.i

First game and awful weather probably explains some of the errors so I'd be hopeful we'll improve for next weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Its between Ireland and France for the championship....grand slam decider...

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement