Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External wall insulation with sunroom?

Options
  • 05-02-2022 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Looking for some advice please.

I have a semi-detached house with solid walls and a sunroom built on to the back wall of the house. The sunroom has dwarf walls, tiled roof and doors in the opening to the house. Down the line, I plan to improve the insulation in the roof of the sunroom and upgrade the windows with the aim of decreasing heat loss. I may put timber folding doors into the opening to the house or remove them altogether. I accept the sunroom will be a weak area for heat retention even with the improvements.

I'm currently replacing the windows on the front of the house and I believe it's better to get EWI installed at the same time as the new windows rather than in the future, but I'm not sure if there is any point getting EWI because of my sunroom. Any advice would be appreciated.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Is the sunroom heated?

best results would be to maintain the thermal boundary at the original house and treat the sunroom mas a buffer space.

If heated that's not really possible, and it will lose a lot of heat

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LaLaLamb

Thanks for the reply. Yes, the sunroom is heated and if I keep doors between it and the house they won't be a type that would keep heat in the house. The EWI may be of use for rooms on the front of the house and the second story at the back but I'm wondering if there's any point when I'm losing heat out the sunroom. I'm not sure if EWI is meant to be a whole house concept and if the weak spot reduces the benefit to the point that it is a waste of money.

Advertisement