Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Canada Convoy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They are protesting mandatory vaccinations. Dont know why people find that so hard to understand. Ireland and most of the rest of the world, who arent forcing people to receive this vaccination, must have "insane views and hysteria about jabs" in that case.

And yes, they are looking to make some of these financial powers permanent. The deputy PM has said as much. But yeah 30 days. Lol. Even if it was just that, how would 30 days without access to any of your money go for you? Will they get the truck back that the government sold? I'm seeing reports also of spouses of people who donated or were involved in some way also being punished financially. This is not ok. If this was applied against BLM there would be uproar and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Well that's not true. Canada has gone well beyond (locally and federally) the measures imposed in other nations. In fact we really shouldn't have been surprised when he reached for the Emergencies Act.

Maybe the protesters should have gathered in the middle of nowhere. Tried and trusted method of protest that. Always leads to a successful outcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

Yes these posters are ultras. They live in a country where unvaccinated people cannot be forced into unemployment by law, so they agitate for the citizens of foreign countries to be disemployed and asset-stripped since that's the only action they can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

If this goes ahead and gets passed, it will open the flood gates.

i have always been wary of governments telling us that they know best, I am not anti-vac at all… fully vaccinated and consider myself just an ordinary joe soap with no axe to grind with anyone.

BUT, seeing the lack of coverage and what has been happening in the world over the past few years, something is absolutely afoot. The world is currently undergoing a major change, politically, socially, financially and why?

some may deem me a conspiracy theorist but the signs are everywhere that some major plan is being enacted currently. I don’t know what!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,231 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

They are protesting temporary vaccine requirements which have been everywhere and are supported by the majority of the public. I required my vaccine cert to travel multiple times.

These protesters are mainly loons and anti-vaxxers, despite that, I absolutely support their right to protest peacefully. Not to cause economic chaos, impacting people's jobs and safety. You can't have a tiny minority of people causing that kind of damage to a city let alone country. Of course the government has to act, they have to think of the rights of public over the rights of a bunch of people who are openly breaking laws.

Meanwhile the irish department of foreign affairs is warning unvaccinated foreign nationals that they must leave Canada before the end of this month or they won't be able to. Not even on a one way ticket. As other countries are dropping restrictions and madates for travel. Canada are going even further. Joke of a country.

At this time, unvaccinated foreign nationals may board a plane to leave Canada on one way tickets only. From 28th February 2022 this exception will end, and only exempted individuals who cannot be vaccinated for health or religious reasons will be allowed to be in airports, train stations and ferry stations to leave Canada. Those who do not intend to be fully vaccinated and wish to leave Canada should do so prior to 28th February 2022. 

But you could still work though couldn't you? Without showing your vaccine cert?

Yeah, but I have several friends who have to travel to various countries for work and they had no issue getting vaccinated. People have needed vaccine certs to cross borders for decades.

Do you think a surgeon can decide not to wear a mask and still work? Do you think a pilot can refuse a medical and still work? Do you think it's okay for a nurse to refuse the seasonal flu jab and still work?

Or is it only during a global pandemic you have these views?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I read the first few words and then stopped reading.

I wonder did you have a similar, disdainful view of the BLM protesters when Trump tried to smear the lot of them as Antifa terrorists. Rhetorical question btw i don't want to know.

94% of Irish adults are vaccinated. You represent anti-vaxxers, a tiny minority of people, who no one has time for during a pandemic.

If some "my body my choice" fundamentalist doesn't give a toss about increasing infection risk to other people, clogging up ICU beds, etc, okay, but you'll find the public have little sympathy for them when they complain about having to wear a mask or get a jab for their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,945 ✭✭✭growleaves

I do not represent anti-vaxxers, and you do not represent 94% of Irish people.

I suggest you read my post, I've been a protester myself. Protesting doesn't entitle people to break the law. If you aren't going to bother reading people's posts and just "assume" positions based on your personal world views then don't bother replying.

I don't care what other people do. I never gave a second thought to whether anyone around me had a flu shot, or any shots, even medical providers. I'd imagine most people were the same. Given that this shot does not prevent infection, there is absolutely no basis for it to be mandated.

My child has had all her shots but her best friends mother is an actual anti vaxxer who hasnt gotten any and I don't care. Am I supposed to ostracize them and advocate for them to be expelled from society or something? No thanks.

You do care what other people do, because it can impact your rights and safety.

The Covid vaccines reduce the chance you will not only contract the virus, but reduce the viral load you experience, thus reducing the chance you spread it to others. They'll greatly reduce the chance you will die from the virus.

If someone doesn't want to get vaccinated, okay, but in refusing to do so they are choosing to put others around them at increased risk, putting their own health at increased risk and putting the healthcare system under additional strain.

If you have a job in a country, in which you require a e.g. Yellow Fever cert, and you aren't vaxxed, you can't go. This is not just to protect you, it's to protect others.

So, in a pandemic, when essential workers are required to be vaccinated, it's not just to protect them, it's to help protect others. This isn't something new, vaccine requirements have been around for a long time. Many professions have requirements, that if you don't follow them, you can't work.

If a tiny, tiny portion of society want to throw a tantrum because they are asked to do something mildly inconvenient, okay, but if they are going to illegally block crossings, ports, motorways, etc then you might find they aren't allowed to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

🤣🤣🤣🤣😁👍🏽🙈 Yeah very good!!

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

"My body my choice" was the beloved slogan when they wanted abortion in this country, but it doesnt apply when it comes to a vaccination its no longer "your body your choice" its evolved to "do what you are told NOW !" or be treated like a leper in society . A subversive coercion.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 tonium22

@dohnjoe I fart in your general direction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭bb12

haha yeah, just like hsbc loved to provide banking and money laundering services for the drug cartels...like credit suisse provides banking services for dictators and criminals....but jeese if you're a trucker protestor that has bouncy castles and saunas....then computer says NO!!!

I'd be very surprised if the Emergency Act gets voted down in Canada tonight. And with that, Canada the country as we know it will be dead... Doubt if they will be willing to relinquish these powers for a very long time...or at least until they get it's extra powers enacted into new laws, where they won't need the Act anymore to exercise their agenda...

And once that happens, the dragon will then start to unfurl itself in each of our own western democracies...

The most important event in the world tonight is not happening on Ukraine border...it's happening on the other side of the Atlantic ocean

• Advertisement

HSBC Mexico didn't provide money laundering services, they were abused by the cartels because they essentially had no compliance, AML or risk departments to speak of in Mexico. They were fined around 2bn, which is exponentially more than they made from any fees on those movements, then had to hire proper compliance/AML departments.

I support peaceful protest. Not blocking key motorways and borders, that's straight up illegal, not to mention dangerous, and could cost jobs due to the economic damage.

The Occupy Wall Street movement resulted in thousands of arrests. loads of crime including rapes and assaults...no state of emergency declared

The BLM protests where they burnt towns to the ground practically....cars crashing into groups of protestors...hijacking whole parts of a city for weeks...multiple murders and killings...didn't they actually burn down a police department in that one?? ...no state of emergency declared...

Canada has a few thousand peaceful demonstrators not causing any trouble or crime....Emergency declared, bank accounts frozen...property seized...government going after the "collaborators" ie cafe owners who dared serve the truckers tea and coffee...Emergency War Act invoked...AFTER the protestors had freed the blockades after court injunctions and vacated the city

Canada is lost for now....hopefully one day she'll climb back out of the black hole she has just fallen into

Nuff said

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

King Mob must be tearing himself apart not being able to argue his points here as he is self-isolating in the CT forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,233 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

The bigger surprise is why this apocoalyptic thread hasnt gone to CT where it belongs. Although you could start one if you want @King Mob so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

No mainstream media reporting on the human rights situation in Canada - the Prime Minister has frozen the assets of peaceful protestors who just wanted the vaccine mandate lifted. ‘Police’ trampling a disabled woman with a horse. Where is Amnesty International? Where are the supposed democratically elected leaders of Western countries crying about Ukraine’s right to democracy, in relation to Canada’s actions? The actions of Trudeau have me concerned our reprieve here is temporary.

Is there even a pretence in Canada that this is anything to do with Covid? How is this ‘for people’s health’? How is freezing bank accounts of citizens who disagree with the WEF puppet in power anything to do with Covid 19? After all, this whole situation is supposed to be about the deadly virus that no one in Canada seems to be dropping on the street from. Quebec went into a police state in January due to this ‘deadly’ Omicron outbreak.

There is no human rights situation in Canada thats why Amnesty isn't concerned. Ukraine's democracy is actually under threat Canada's isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,795 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, the place is gone full loon.

You think it’s ok to freeze someone’s bank account that wants to peacefully protest against Trudeau policies? Do you think it would be ok if FG/FF froze the accounts of peaceful protestors here against vaccine mandates?

Restrictions ending here was always going to be very upsetting for some who had spent two years claiming restrictions were permanent. This is the fallout from those delusions.

• Advertisement

Your definition of ‘loon’ must be different to mine.

pjohnson hasn’t answered the questions as per usual. Do you support ordinary citizens bank accounts being frozen because they hold a different political view to Trudeau? What is democratic about this? Is this a proportionate response? Even those who donated small sums to the protestors have had their accounts frozen. Do you believe this is an appropriate way of providing a secure financial system for your hard earned money?

Yeah sure freeze the "assets" of loons that have nothing better than to be hindrances to all. Same with those moronic "suppporters". More money than sense.

Good to know where you stand on this. You support people’s bank accounts being frozen because they don’t agree with your views. So anyone in any job at any time could have their money frozen due to not agreeing with someone’s politics in pjohnson’s world if they were in power or running the country.

And let’s not forget this is all supposed to be in the name of ‘Covid’ and protecting granny and grandad from the deadly virus that they’re triple vaccinated against. People should be dropping like flies to justify the type of hate, lockdowns and extreme response Trudeau was pushing that led to these protests in the first place.

And none of that is what I said. Congrats, this is such a hard time for ya'll.

The bulk of the assets frozen from the "leaders" was by order of the Supreme Court pertaining to a civil law suit taken by citizens and businesses in Ottawa whose lives and livelihoods were adversely effected during the "illegal occupation". They are fully entitled under law to seek recompense.

Surely you fully support this, correct?

Now, would that be real democracy under threat in Ukraine...or Vicoria "F*ck the EU" Nuland's version of democracy??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

No use tagging him. He doesn't want to reply here because it would ruin his clean sheet of thousands of consecutive posts in the CT forum only.

Well glad this convoy nonsense is over. The other attempts failed miserably (Finns got their cars towed because they didn't own the trucks, and the New Zealanders got stuck with vaccine rules on the ferry, lol).

The people who had their rights and freedoms and businesses severely impacted by this might even get some compensation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Did you ever manage to figure out which of those demands the protestors had that you actually disagreed with?

Are you worried that our Government are lifting even more restrictions soon? Do you think they're loons?

The loon part is the batshít conspiracies that were dribbled onto the last 3-4 pages.

I assume you agree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Greetings to whoever started this thread, it reached 842 comments and was a great conversation thanks to all who participated. I feel sad that the truckers were bullied out and the more sinister developements are the banking issues but thats a whole other thread. I am very glad that we have bumbling Mehole Martin and not Trudeau as our leader. God bless you all and stay safe in this tumultuous world we all live in . God bless

This is totally untrue. Where is your source? Banking assets seized at the whim of the Trudeau government is never ok in any country, never mind one that presented itself as a liberal western democracy. What was illegal about the protest? Provide your source and description of what was illegal? If you’re talking about new ‘emergency powers’ which have basically turned Trudeau into a Chinese dictator - then we’re done discussing. At least nail your colours to the mast of what you’re supporting.

This is totally untrue

https://www.lawtimesnews.com/news/general/superior-court-freezes-millions-in-cash-and-crypto-donations-raised-by-freedom-convoy-organizers/364179

The Ontario Superior Court of Justice has frozen millions of dollars in assets belonging to freedom convoy organizers in a class action lawsuit issued by residents of Ottawa.

Superior Court Justice Calum MacLeod signed a Mareva injunction on Thursday freezing assets linked to bank accounts, fundraisers and crypto holdings including Bitcoin, Cardano, Ethereum, Litecoin and Monero in over 120 wallets raised for the freedom convoy protest

Also calm down with the Chinese dictator nonsense, it's the ramblings of the unhinged and will make me less likely to engage with you.

Leo is a WEF Young Global Leader and he's coming to power again this coming December...

• Advertisement

"Canada has a few thousand peaceful demonstrators not causing any trouble or crime"

Straight up false. The protesters were illegally blocking trade routes, doesn't matter who the protesters are, or what cause they have, they can't do that for any extended period.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭sliabh 1956

What I found amusing about all this is that people who have nothing to do with Ottawa were so quick to lend their support to the truckers forgetting about the poor residents who had to endure endless sleepless nights due to the noise the Truckers were making .I wonder would these freedom fighters be so quick to jump on the bandwagon if these same truckers were in their neighbourhood . Somehow I doubt it.

Not false at all. Totally peaceful protestors. All the hundreds of hours of live stream footage is there on youtube for all to see. I watched a lot of it in real-time. No violence was present until the armed police turned up, where they ran over a disabled old woman with police horses, attacked ian njured medal wearing afghanistan veteran, dragged non-resisting protestors behind police lines and kneed and pistol whipped them, shot a tear gas canister at point blank range into an independent journalist's leg, the same journalist who was known to have asked "awkward" questions of Trudeau in the past (coincidence do you think???)...

they even let off stun grenades into the peaceful crowd just after they had sung the national anthem and were chanting "we love you" at the police...all on video...

A court injunction was obtained under normal non-emergency powers for the blockades and they were removed peacefully.

Not false at all. Totally peaceful protestors

Apart from that time they assaulted people working in a soup kitchen.

If anybody p!ssed up against a wall anywhere in Ottawa over the past month, would that also be the truckers fault??

• Advertisement
Advertisement