Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension quote

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

It may happen …… but likely not in the near future. Too much pent up demand and the new government grants on top of the existing ones will keep prices high for the foreseeable future! Quoting overall figures of an increasing construction workforce mean nothing if the additional workers are involved in commercial work rather than small domestic refurbs and extensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Planning permission in the pre planning or planning process within a three kilometres of me in county Galway currently stands at approximately 350 units across about 4 estates. 110 odd of them due to start shortly after planning approved 12 months ago. Council recently bought all 110 units off developer plans( these were originally meant for the open market) Council planning another estate of one hundred odd houses nearby on their own land having bought 50 odd houses from a new development in the past 24 months.

Damn near impossible get planning for a one off house.

Housing list in the electoral area alone requires 1500 odd units. Councils told to solve it, state has a few additional billion coming in over the next few years.

I again don't see house prices dropping locally in the short term or near any big city. There's a massive amount of building coming, a limited number of trades people and a client (the state or housing charities)mopping up massive amounts of new builds squeezing the availability to anyone not on a housing list. That coupled with high employment, more major job announcements locally and I think that anyone in the extension only game would have no issue making as much or more coin in the new build game should people tighten the purse strings in that area.

Am not condoning any of this. The market and states priorities are a shambles but don't be fooled in thinking if I wait six months or a year things will be cheaper. Credit will also be harder access.

Eventually and hopefully supply will catch up with demand but I don't see that till at least the housing lists are cut significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Kippy your statement about not seeing house prices dropping in any big city has already been disproven well in the biggest city as in Dublin 6 monthly drops in prices already so they are dropping and the access to cheap credit now no longer being an option is the straw breaking the camels back with regards to buying a property.

I think the rate of increase has dropped, but property prices are not "dropping".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

No the actual price has dropped. That is 5 month on month drops in Dublin and that was up to the end of February this year. So be interesting to see what Q2 in 2023 brings but I cannot see them going up not with the access to cheap credit gone.

https://businessplus.ie/industry-type/real-estate-property/dublin-house-prices/#:~:text=Average%20Dublin%20residential%20property%20prices,month%20decline%20in%20January%202023.

Thanks, I was under the impression that it was the percentage rises that had dropped.

Will see how it pans out in Q2 alright when traditionally more houses come on stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭happyplants

If it helps on the general discussion about costs I have just had our own QS price our works. It's a 70m2 extension done in ICF in a fairly "architectural" style. I'm just using as shorthand as I'm struggling to understand the costs but it's not a straight forward square box. There is work to existing house in terms of creating a bathroom in a room upstairs and shortening existing bathroom to create a bigger room beside it, as well as a heating system upgrade. There's some work on existing ceilings to improve insulation. It's not simple but not massive.

In short, the cost inc VAT was presented to us at c.500k. That included c.40k for the heating system (ground source HP, rads upgrade, new UFH in extension) and 26k for decoration. I'm just referring to those two as they leapt out at me. The one that really did it for me was a post-works French drain in the back garden (as in when garden reinstated, put in a drain cos it gets very wet) at 4k. As it turned out I had already done the drain myself just for something to do and I think I spent about 750 euro and did it over a weekend last month and it's worked superbly. Obviously I'm not saying it's a marker, but...

I'm absolutely sick as we've put a lot of money into design already but there you go. Even the idea of paying 26k to paint a house (inside) is too much for me.

And this is our QS before we tender.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭raxy

I went to shanette sheds recently & seen they do a steel frame extension. I only briefly spoke to the sales guy about it but they look OK & a lot cheaper than an extension.

I've since noticed some of the garden room companies offering similar.

Has anyone had something like that added instead of a traditional extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭DC999

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Col_30

Our builders QS priced our job way higher than what we estimated with our architect. The builder was able to come down on every aspect to get to our budget. I wouldn’t worry too much about the QS report. Just go out to tender with it and negotiate with builders. The ridiculous QS pricing I believe is inflating things and putting people off going ahead with jobs that are actually more affordable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭denismc

What was the difference between what your Q.S quoted and your final building cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

We've been looking at doing an extension. Very modest c.30m2. Pretty much a square box add on with no fancy finishes or style. A small bit of works to integrate it into the existing house. Got quoted €140k! That's just for the building works and before we furnish it and kit it out with a new kitchen! Unbelievable. That's the end of that dream unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭happyplants

Sure but this my own QS, so neither him or the architect are really likely to go to bat when they already think it should cost what they are costing before we go to tender.

Advertisement