Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car to outskirts of dublin (via N4) then bike to city centre - advice on options

Options
  • 05-02-2022 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Being told to come back into the office like many others after moving out of Dublin.

Trying to figure out how to commute to the city centre office without relying on public transport as I'm trying to avoid covid as much as possible (I've a very medically vulnerable partner).

I used to commute for years through the Phoenix Park into the city on a regular bike precovid but I have to go folding ebike now so as not to need a shower when I get to work.

I come in to Dublin via the n4 by car. My thinking so far is to park in Liffey Valley car park and go from there. My concern is whether there is a safe route into the city from there.

I'm looking for any other suggestions of places that I can park for free or really cheap (taking traffic into account) and would have a safe cycle route into the city.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭tnegun

If you can find somewhere around Lucan/Adamstown to park then cycle the grand canal its a fine run into the city. You do get some scrotes along the canal though but I cycled it from Adamstown to Parkwest for 3 years largely without issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

cant really recommend the grand canal. Too much trouble on it. You might be ok in morning but not in evening. From liffey valley I would cross the n4 using the pedestrian bridge, you might have to walk the bike on that. then take the bridge to palmerstown, that bridge has cycle path on it.

quiet road then into palmerstown, you can head down into chapelizod.

theres 2 options from there, you can follow the main road but the bike path is rough. may be ok on ebike with bigger volume tyres.

alternatively if you dont cross the bridge in chapelizod but go straight on you can access the park which runs on the south bank of the liffey, bit of navigation needed to get out at the right spot, but very nice and a break from cars..

Advertisement