Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Silver birch might be destroyed - please advise me!

Options
  • 06-02-2022 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

A tradesman chopped about a foot off the top of a baby silver birch I'd planted in my garden in the first week of January. He did this just a few days ago. The tree has been about a month in the ground and hasn't even come into its first season. I've done a bit of research and apparently I'm lucky he didn't do it a couple of months from now, when the tree would have likely bled to death. Other articles online advise you should never top a silver birch as it'll never recover its lovely drooping habit, but I'm not sure if this only applies to a mature tree.

Does anyone with more knowledge and experience of silver birch please advise me? I am so hoping my tree will recover its beautiful graceful habit as it matures! This is very upsetting. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Sallywag37

It is a Betula Pendula, the classic 'Lady of the Forest', in case anyone is wondering. 😥

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭ec_pc

I am by no means an expert but always thought that topping a tree does irreversible damage to the shape and growth pattern of a tree. Last year I cut down 5 mature silver birch trees that we inherited in our garden from the previous owner as they were blocking huge amounts of light from the house plus they were too close to the house. They were probably 30 foot tall each. Initially I left them with a 3 foot stump and during the summer the amount of new sapling growth from them really suprised me, they were like a bush at the end of the summer.

I have another 5 which I am considering the future of - 2 of them must be 70 feet tall and were planted about 3 feet from each other for some obscure reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Birch are tough trees, natural survivors - some foresters would regard them as a weed species. It'll just throw up another leading shoot and carry on. Might affect the shape a little bit, might not if it's young. You could always replace - silver birch not an expensive tree and still well within planting season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

As Furze said I wouldn't be to worried. Especially if the tree is under or about 6tf hight.

Well it was six foot before that bollocks got his hands on it. It's about five foot now.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I planted a good few silver birch, admittedly a good bit smaller than yours, mostly 2/3 foot high. One was accidentally cut down by half, cut into the 'trunk' - caught in a mower I think - when it was not long planted, early summer, and I thought it was lost. A year and a half on you can't tell which one was cut, it sent up a new leader and caught up with the others. They are all about 4 ft at the moment. Granted your 6ft tree might not be quite so successful but I'd give it a chance, it will probably be fine.

Your story was a relief to me. I'll keep a sharp eye out for a new leader. Thank you for that Looksee.

Advertisement