Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedge for Orchard

Options
  • 06-02-2022 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm planning on putting in an orchard on our site and am looking for opinions for a hedge/wind break. We are near enough to the coast and get a good deal of SW winds. Ideally I'd be thinking something native or wildlife friendly, not sure if Hawthorne would provide enough of a break? As for non native, I was thinking maybe hornbeam or autumn olive (I have heard that this can take off/become a problem), also it's a nitrogen fixer so that would be beneficial.

I suppose it would need to be relatively quick growing and low maintenance would be helpful though not essential. Not a fan of Leylandii and similar.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Maybe Ebbing's silverberry might be worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Hawthorn would be best without a doubt. It is a great windbreak all year round and will encourage pollinators, plus birds to keep pests down.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 OwlParliament

Thanks for the input. Went for Eleagnus x ebbingei in the end. Planted around 100 a few weeks back and they seem to be doing well so far despite wind and lack of rain.

I already planted hawthorn and holly on the site last winter. Hawthorn seems to be doing fine. The wind has managed to kill a few of the holly trees already!

Advertisement