Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

compression sleeves for arthritis

• 07-02-2022 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

I have arthritis in my arms and knees ,it really flares when I do a share of phisical work which I cant avoid as my job is a farmer .I was going to get compression sleeves for my forearms and calfs/shins ,whats brands are suitable and is amazon a good place to buy them .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

My uncle changed diet and that's all he done to get rid of arthritis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I know about the Margaret HIlls diet but I just could not work and cope without my food and treats .I just find myself exhausted after my day and aching body on top most days and just feel starved without good dinner and supper and treats on top .I tried the hot baths and exercises last year ,small improvement but again a big commitment every evening just being busy with work does not help .I just think the compression sleeves would give me a small help to keep working for another year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 608 ✭✭✭tvjunki

Compression sleeves are a gimmick and not great for someone doing physical work. They are only for very short wear.

You need to reduce the inflammation and one thing is reduce citrus fruits, sweets. Try to drink more fluids. Diet is the big thing as well as being over weight

Also try boots extra strength glucosamine and chondroitin. You can get them on a 3 for two deal.

My mum suffers from arthritis in her shoulder and hands from wear and tare so was really suffering. She did not want to take medication so I got this for her. Within a few days she found she has less or no pain. Brilliant product. At night she wears cotton gloves in bed due to pain in her hands. The damp and cold does not help.

Have a friend who had problems due to needing an operation on his knee. Told him about it and sen him a month later and he was flying it.

Also take cod liver oil or omega 3 tablets. Keep warm as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I've osteoarthritis in my knees and tried both compression sleeves and knee braces. I'd have to recommend against either. Whilst they offered temporary relief they become very uncomfortable quickly and essentially I could only wear them for very short periods of time , eventually I stopped using them.

I'm afraid I can't offer advice on alternatives but just wanted to share my own experience of these products, others may have had different experiences however.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

^^ Poster two posts up has made some solid recommendations re dietary supplements.

However in relation to their + the above posters thoughts on compression sleeves, their primary purpose is to keep the joint warm.

The idea of "compression" is something you'd want to focus on less so as the initial idea behind this is that, in applying pressure you can generate more power.

But as they said, if you go too tight, wearing them for any length is non sustainable.

Focus on joint warmth = get good thick neopreen (more suitable to knee than elbow), at a fit which is tight enough to hold them in place, loose enough to not be uncomfortable or really press in excessively.

You'll need to measure you knee/elbow circumference and order accordingly.

Again, bodybuilders/weightlifters can get insanely tight sleeves as compression = more power, but for long term use = get a loser fit that focuses on warmth, not compression.

The increased warmth assists circulation and nerve activity, acting as a natural pain killer and improving recovery/healing time.

If you don't mind waiting you can get something cost effective on aliexpress, though I'm sure amazon etc will be equally good (just more expensive).

Alternately a good weightlifting/fitness store should have them, D8Fitness or check a few online places.

Re arthritis, you want to take every improvement measure possible, supplements, diet, some recommend "heat shock proteins" via sauna use to plunge-pool/cold-shower (rapid change of temperature activates physiologic activity).

Good PT, massage, dry needling (excellent reputational outcome on arthritis), electrotherapy, could buy a tens machine etc.

I personally always recommend a little weight lifting (sounds counter intuitive I know), but the purpose is to establish good lifting form so you get benefit from physical exertion, not deterioration etc.

It's Sunday so please excuse the information spamming.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 yufettodes

• Registered Users Posts: 34 yufettodes

Arthritis gloves are very helpful for people who have arthritis in their wrists (they provide support and also help with circulation).

Neo G make excellent arthritis gloves. They are available from Boots. I think that Boots have their very own brand of arthritis gloves also.

Also try Voltarol (I saw this gel advertised on TV recently).

Advertisement