Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retrofitting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

I’m in the same boat as you. But you can’t blame the SEAI. It’s a headache for us to manage.

The real purpose of the One Stop Shop is to streamline and save work for the SEAI. You can imagine what it would be like to have the SEAI dealing directly with every household involved. From the end users pov there is the benefit of project management also.

Every One Stop Shop will be different. I talked to one who had their own personnel to do most of the installation work. Others had a mix with a lot of work being farmed out to contractors.

The most frustrating thing is having to commit to a particular one stop shop and spend money on assessments before you get a semi accurate picture of final costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

Hi Phirstclass,

Can you send a link to that, i checked the SEAI website yesterday perhaps it wasn't updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Phirstclass

seai did a live facebook video yesterday, check out 22.20 mins in

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭kieran26

Cheers, Don't have facebook but i'll go back to my supplier.

no bother, basically they are saying if cavity is filled and has been granted previously you will be eligible for either internal or external addition, however if cavity is not filled and is now filled during the works along with ewi say, then it won't be covered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭ando

I ordered new windows and doors before xmas... they are to be delivered and installed in the next week or two.. Do I have any options with the grant? I'm not planning on doing the one stop shop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

No digging up floors or messing with pipes. Ducting would be quick and easy in the old style bungalows with attics.

unless you undertake other improvement measures along with the windows and doors you won't qualify

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭gooner99

I had a look on the SEAI website but couldn't see any clarity on this.

Does anyone know if the grants vary with house size or are they fixed. My detached bungalow is only 50sqm. Would I qualify for the full grant amounts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

They're fixed. If you've a detached 50sqm house then the grant will go a hell of a long way. Massive advantage for you. I've a large awkward shaped detached and when I got the external insulation done previously the grant paid one sixth of the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Thestart

Hi

Looking to get internal insulation and new triple glazed windows and doors in my apartment, would I qualify for the grant and at what % saving would I get???

Im clueless about this, don’t understand the SEAI website

thanks,

Thanks. I was thinking it would go a long way on a small bungalow like this. But could it also be a case that the one stop shops thinks that too and says let's inflate the prices further, sure he's getting a great deal!

I'll be adding an extension at the same time. My cavity is pumped with loose white bead, so I'd imagine external is probably a good idea?

I wonder what the best approach would be with the extension, external also, or a different approach?

Also I only have an open fire and storage heaters at present. I'm thinking heat pump with underfloor (digging up floors and insulating) might be the best approach?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kc78

Got a quote for 58k to get to B2 rating (no heat pump) the increased grants would take 18k off it's far from 50%.

Yeah suspect that will be the case in many instances.

What style/size house. What measures does that include?

Might be better to go with the individual grants and look after the other aspects yourself instead of a one stop shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kc78

Windows and doors, EWI, MHRV and heating controls for a standard 4 bed bungalow. I think piece by piece and shop around for prices is the way I will be going.

The 50% was pure spin. They moved away from a % grant so that they could control the cost.

Yeah I think your right. Pity quite a few of the measures available on the one stop shop are not available as individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 AGC22

Hi, looking to replace all windows/doors in house with triple glazing. Can anyone recommend a decent company (PM me please)? Was looking at a southern province company, but seems to be quite a few negay reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

From what I understand you contact a One Stop Shop, pay them to do an assessment and the present you with a list of improvements to get to B2 along with (estimated?) costs and you have to do all of the recommended steps to get the grant.

Obviously there would be various ways of getting from say a C3 to a B3 (e.g. new windows + Solar PV + Heat Pump vs. Heating Controls + EWI + attic insulation (just making these up as examples)). Anyone know, based on existing retrofitting scheme, whether the home owners can influence the list of recommended upgrades. So that if you want to get new windows anyway say, they get included?

• Advertisement

You can get an independent assessment done and report issued. You can then give that report to several one stop shops and ask for a detailed quote. There is a grant for this but you will have to wait for the official kick off if you want to claim it I hear sometime in Mar mentioned

At the moment they are prioritising lower rated houses so quite likely changing windows would be required.

Each potential improvement measure will be listed indicating the gain to be achieved. There is a sample report on the SEAI website.

Thanks Hesker - so the homeowner could select from the menu of upgrades to get to the reqd Ber?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Is there a time limit on these?

They appear to be saying your home must achieve a B2 rating when you finish all your works, to claim/keeo your grant.We have a 1960s dormer, leaking air everywhere.We need to externally wrap it, do the attic and probably sort the heating, at the very least.We are both construction professionals -not contractors ourselves, but have access to different contractors through work and past jobs. Realistically we don't have the money for all of this right now.So if you go for the one stop shop, and just do the external wrap, but then decide you are going to wait and in 5 years time, go elsewhere for your attic (or do it yourself)...how does that work?Do you have to go back to the one stop shop for all of the elements?

That’s my take on it. I asked one assessor if I really needed a heat pump and he said not necessarily. It depends on the assessment. Also depends on what you want and what’s your starting point.

You can see a lot of the documentation if you click on “Register as a one stop shop” and look at the downloads.

Great thanks

There was before but there might not be on this wave. Will have to wait to see.

There are individual grants that the homeowner can claim and that might suit you better.

The one stop shop route seems to be for the bigger projects and you must get to B2 within the one project

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

According to the lady on RTE retrofitting our homes will only cost an extra one euro a month, hilarious altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭PaddyCar

Anyone an idea on the cost of a heat pump technical assessment? I believe you get the €200 back only if you go through with heat pump.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

From what i have been told the technical assessment would be circ 500/600 ex vat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Biker1

Depends on the house. Typically €300 plus the price of the BER if one not already done. 500/600 plus vat at 23% is a rip off.

Advertisement