Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Three Broadband - Are they any good?

Options
  • 08-02-2022 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭

Got an offer from 3 the other day, and it seems good. I am currently with eir after taking up their no contract €30 a month last year. Hassle every single month, so I need to change. The 3 offer looks decent on paper, but I have no idea what their support is like, their actual speeds, and their service in general.

I didn't even realise that they provided broadband until I got the offer. They don't seem to appear on Switcher or Bonkers, and I don't know anyone who uses them.

Any feedback would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,242 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd get a SIM card from them first to test coverage in your area before signing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Had both 3 and Eir mobile broadband on and off over the years. Eir was always superior and more reliable than 3 in my location

• Registered Users Posts: 26,976 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

It's really dependent on your location. I've been with them for many years, living in very rural Midlands (full disclosure, I once worked for 3).

The 5g service is very hit and miss and again very dependent on location, personally I find their 4g service more than adequate. Conjestion can be an issue, again dependent on location.

Ideally trying a sim first is preferable but it's likely your eir modem/router is locked to eir so unless you've access to a sim free router, this is not an option.

3 offer a 14 day return policy but be forewarned, if you purchase the service online, you need to return the equipment and at your expense. I'd strongly recommend you deal with your nearest store, this way if your not satisfied, you deal directly with the store, return equipment there etc. Stores DO Not deal with returns on products/ services purchased online.

Finally, do not rely on coverage maps, absolutely useless and unreliable, testing the only way to be sure and if you had a friend or neighbour using three, ask to try modem /router in your house for a few hours.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,884 ✭✭✭Shoog

Had three for over a year now. Service was good until the cooling off period ended and then they throttled back. In the evenings service is barely better than landline most days. Service overall is very variable with the occasional excellent day, but mostly barely usable.

It's impossible to prove that they throttled your service after the sign up period but I have heard enough people experience the same that I am personally convinced. They will not let you cancel the contract before it runs out and customer support is terrible

We are waiting for NBI when we will drop them like a **** stone.

Advertisement