Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reliable Income Protection provider

Options
  • 08-02-2022 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to take out income protection, but one can find so many stories on the internet, none of which are positive...

Can someone here please share some good experience with their provider to help me decide who to go with?

Thank you.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'm familiar with 2 long term PHI claims which made a huge difference to the claimants lives.

Both were assessed initially and reviewed periodically.

These claims were both paid by Friends First (now part of Aviva). The main providers in my experience are pretty decent, but due to the potential size of long term claims they will be thorough and careful in assessing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Thank you!

I'm looking at Aviva and New Ireland as the two main contenders ATM. I like the name of Zurich though, sounds reliable :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Get proper advice though.

There are important differences in the cover available from the various providers. Royal London are worth considering too.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭skippy2

Make sure you read all the small print on making claims.

Having gone through this procedure. Expect no favours from the Ins Company if you have to claim. They will challenge everything. Keep all your paperwork, policy conditions etc. I think all companies are the same and maybe its understandable but a little empathy would help when you are in a life changing situation.

Eventually got it all sorted not with any help of the Ins Company they could not even read their own conditions properly. I still constantly have to check their paperwork.

On the plus side it saved me as i had to give up work relatively young and luckily i had all the right boxes ticked and I am now financially secure.

Would recommend it to anyone who has dependants. Hopefully you might never need it but was i glad i had it when things went wrong.

Advertisement