Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External halogen sensor light gone nuts

Options
  • 08-02-2022 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭

I've an external halogen light that works on a movement sensor, usually coming on at night for a few seconds as it detects movement.

It's gone nuts at the moment - it's been on now (during the day) for the last few hours and is pretty much at full power (with a tiny flicker).

Do halogen bulbs fail like this or does it sound like water ingress ? Or maybe it's the sensor ?

Just asking as I don't know how scared of it I should be (I haven't found a way to isolate it just yet)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭Antenna

Probably a failure but you could try turning off the power to it for a minute and see does it behave after the power is turned back on.

This type of failure can happen with the sensor electronics malfunctioning. A common cause of failure of these PIR lights is the 'capacitive dropper' capacitor (to power the sensor electronics) going low in value with age. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitive_power_supply

Rather unsatisfactory if you cannot find where to switch off the power to this light.

A waste of electricity if it is now constantly on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭meercat

If you can’t find a switch, turn power off at the fuse board for 30 seconds. Then turn power back on. This sometimes resets the sensor

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Replace. Halogen lights no longer make sense anyway as they are so expensive to run. Replace with a high quality LED fitting. I would suggest Stinel. These units have a 5 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Thanks for the advice all.

Found which fuse it's on and will be replacing with an LED one.

Advertisement