Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to cut a wood plank into 2

Options
  • 08-02-2022 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi, I am looking to get a wood plank of width 5cm to be sliced into 2 pieces of 2.5 cm plz

I have been checking online but there are no places that can provide this service as they do not have a band saw.

If there any chance you know a place or someone that can please help me.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

What are the dimensions of the plank?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ash_the_one

Length 175 cm

Width 22cm

Thickness 5cm

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Your going to find it hard to get someone to cut that the way you want and depending on what it's made of it may be cost prohibiting. But you could start by ringing your nearest sawmill. Your going to loose 4 mm plus on the cut. You could get a rough cut with the likes of a chainsaw but you would loose alot to waste in the cut. You could cut it by hand, it would take a bit of time but if you made a jig to keep the saw straight you could be ok. A large table saw could also work cutting from both sides and plane the surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ash_the_one

Thank you,

I have been to the saw mill bit they don't .

Much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

Another option: cut it into two long sections each 175cm x ~11cm x 5 cm thick, with a tracksaw or table saw. Then slice each 11cm section individually (much more doable on a decent table saw or smaller bandsaw) and finally, glue the two sides back together.

You'll only lose 2-3mm off the width and the join should be essentially invisible as the grain will be a perfect match and the cut lines perfectly aligned.

• Advertisement
Advertisement