Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Importing from NI

Options
  • 08-02-2022 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

I’m in the market for a camper and there’s one I’m going to look at in NI ,I’ve never imported before and have limited knowledge of the process ,its a 2013 crafter that has been converted into a camper could anyone here help me out on what i need to do,just bring it to NCT for inspection within 7 days?,or do i need a SQI report before i bring it?,thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Is it registered as a camper on the V5.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭nomoedoe

I asked them and they said it wasn’t ,would that be an issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Well if it was registered as a Camper it would be straight forward to clear, present the vehicle with the reg document, utility bills proof of ID receipt from the seller etc. The VRT official takes a series of pictures and sends them to Rosslare where they come up with a figure for the import duty. What you are now importing is a van with modifications, kinda a chicken or egg situation. I personally would call asap to your local VRT office and see if they can enlighten you. Both my brother and I have cleared a number of vehicles over the last couple of years and always found the VRT staff to be very helpful and accommodating. I would approach them on the basis that it is a modified van and ask how they would like it to be presented to them. I brought in a van a couple of years ago with the view of doing a conversion eventually with it. I fitted a couple of extra seats to it, cleared it as a private vehicle and taxed it as a non commercial vehicle. Did my conversion eventually and had it cleared by a SQI in Clare and presented it to Revenue with no issues. Things have changed so much for the worse since Brexit for imports. At least for a car you can get your vrt/nox figure online and you can work out the vat easily enough if its applicable. Your situation mmmm not so straightforward, so I recommend getting your information straight from the horses mouth. I will be watching this with interest as I expect to be doing a conversion in the very near future myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭Shoog

You need to get a SQI to inspect and pass it, he can submit the paperwork to get it re-registered for you. You will need a written report from him to get your camper insured and this will be more difficult than the VRT in my experience. Having it registered as a camper is no guarantee that an insurance company will accept it as they write their own specification which can be different to what is accepted in Irish law.

Shoog

Advertisement