Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai assault...2 year sentence...

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I see an attack on a Garda as an attack on all of us. Essentially, if someone thinks assaulting a Garda is fine, then what hope is there for the rest of us. They truly are the 'thin blue line'. So to my mind, anyone attacking a Garda is attempting to breach that thin blue line, and showing their contempt for it. And for society. Hence my belief that it should warrant a more severe punishment.

It must be quite dispiriting for young men to don the uniform and see that there seems to be no protection for them in the courts. I knew a Superintendent years ago, and he told me at that time that younger Gardai were reluctant to draw their batons, as there was no guarantee their attempts to defend themselves would be vindicated in the courts. I would NOT be encouraging any young men in my family to become a Garda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

So there is a general acceptance that the Gardai, teachers, medics, fire services will be assaulted and nothing can be done about it. What i am saying i expect that the Gardai should be trained to deal with this... The message here is they are not and these thugs can assault whoever they please including Gardai and we will just whinge.

I think medics and teachers need protection... i think the Gardai if they want to be taken serious want to be able to look after themselves...

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,225 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

maestroamado - do not post in this thread again

Advertisement