Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carers allowance and working

Options
  • 09-02-2022 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi,

I am in receipt of carers allowance and I’m looking at working in a job that’s under the 18.5 hours.

Can anyone explain will I get the full income from working in a job too as additional to the carers allowance or will that be deducted or how does that work because of the carers allowance?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭mystic

Depends on how much you earn.

"If you are single, €332.50 of your gross weekly income is not taken into account (or disregarded). If you are married, in a civil partnership or cohabiting the first €665 of your combined gross weekly income is disregarded. PRSI, union dues, superannuation (pension contributions including additional voluntary contributions) and travel expenses are also deducted. For a couple, their combined gross weekly income (less any disregards) is then halved to give the carer's weekly means."

Taken from https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/carers/carers_allowance.html

Income from Carers Allowance is taxable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

If you tell me how much you will earn from the employment, if you have a partner living with you, how much income from employment they have, or if they have a SW payment, which payment it is, who are they claiming for on that payment, how much is that payment and how many children you are living with and how old they are, and assuming you have no other income and less then €20000 savings then I will tell you how much carers you will get.

From Citizens Advice:

• ”You are not employed, self-employed, doing voluntary work, training or any education courses for more than 18.5 hours a week – see ‘Work and Carer’s Benefit’ below.
    • The maximum amount you can earn is €332.50 per week after tax (this will increase to €350 from 2 June 2022).“

Advertisement