Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What sort of a bird is a SEAMAG?

Options
  • 09-02-2022 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭

A poem I came across refers to

The seamag flitting over sands and sea

Pipes Brigid...Brigid ... Brigid;

Now in the fiery dawn of February ....

I have googled 'seamag' but can't find any modern equivalent....

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,441 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i juct checked manchan magan's book on irish words for animals, and it's not listed. must ask a gaelgoir friend - what's the poem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭xper

I've never heard the name Seamag. "flitting over sands and sea ...pipes" would suggest a wading bird of some sort. I wondered if Seamag is referring to Sea Magpie which would fit Oystercatcher which led me to this:

which references St Brigid's Day which fits with start of February. Not conclusive but.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭tuisginideach

Thank you very much - I'd say you are 100% correct as the poem is about St Brigid.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

seamag ? well begob you learn something new everyday

Advertisement