Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for advice on muddy dog trodden garden

Options
  • 10-02-2022 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi

Our dog (medium sized), rescued circa 1 month ago loves the outdoors!

But she has our garden destroyed. I know its a bad time of year anyway - but it is wet muck now at this stage, that you could break your neck on, and it looks unsightly.

Its a garden size approx 30 ft x 30ft - not huge!

Any advice on:

a) How to reclaim the muck with our dog in tow?

b) What the approx cost to patio the area would be? Living in Leinster ( not Dublin).

RM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Lash out the grass seed now flatten it well and it should have recovered by may. You could keep an eye on done deal etc for second hand slabs. Even laying a path down the middle can go a long way towards solving the mud situation.

Otherwise, dig it up, lay a membrane, hardcore is about €40 per tonne,cement is dirt cheap or contractor will probably charge the bones of 600-1200 to concrete the lot after using a mini digger to clear it out (2 days work-depending on access).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Please don't concrete it, its very bad for the environment and will create drainage issues - probably for your neighbours too. If you pave it leave drainage spaces /beds even if you have to put some sort of fencing round them till the dog is trained.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,671 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Bring the dog in with the pack. They prefer being indoors with the family, particularly in the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was convinced to mind a greyhound two years ago that had been mistreated. Lovely dog, but hated cats. There seemed to be no turning her. She must have been locked up her entire life, as when she had a go in my back garden she was loving it. Lashing up and down the garden for maybe an hour at a time and dug a hole or two. By the time they came to take her back, she had the garden destroyed.

Silver sand and soil mixture with seeds (and time) is what I was recommended. One or two of the areas with holes didn't recover fully last year, but hopefully I have done them properly this year. But everything else was perfect. I think I could have been recommended it here, as it probably would have been the only place I would have asked. And I got lime free, as there was a difference between with or without lime, although I can't remember what it was now. Lime free seemed the better option for me. It worked perfectly for me.

Advertisement