Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indoor Plants Suitable for Underfloor Heating

Options
  • 10-02-2022 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'd like to get a big indoor plant - one that sits on the floor - but a bit nervous of the effect the underfloor heating will have on it. The only experience I have is of having a real Christmas Tree which turned into a very dry tree shedding like crazy within a week. We've since given up and bought an artificial tree as felt it was too much of a fire hazard. So are there any specimens that would do okay with under floor heating or any tricks I could try? As these plants can be on the expensive side due to their size, I don't want to buy one and for it to die immediately.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would suggest that, whatever you get, you lift it off the floor. Either a trailing one on a high stand or an upright one on a low stand. This will remove the danger of actually cooking the plant. After that there are a few unkillable plants that may be happy in this situation and they are all of the commonly available in the likes of Woodies or Homebase garden centres. Dracaena is an upright 'palmtree' or spikey looking plant that includes Mother in Law's tongue and dragon tree that is more likely to die of overwatering than anything, so the dry atmosphere will suit them. Aloe Vera is another plump spikey one that will grow in a wide range of temperatures.

Devil's Ivy has a clatter of names - Scindapsus aureus and Epipremnum pinnatum, but its the common trailing plant with large heart shaped leaves with yellow markings - stripes and speckles. It will not need much watering and will cope with a dry situation.

Advertisement