Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10/22 not taking moderator

Options
  • 10-02-2022 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭

I picked up a nice 10/22 from a lad on here recently which came factory threaded. I also own a 77/22 which I had threaded by a smith and fitted with a sonic mod. I have a used sak mod I picked up on here a few years ago and that fits the 77/22 perfectly too. I tried the sak mod on the 10/22 and it wouldn't go past the first thread. I didn't want to apply anymore than a light force, so I stopped. The rifle is at the range while I await a license, but on my next visit I plan to try the sonic mod on the 10/22 and try the barrel cap from the 10/22 on the 77/22 for comparison. I figure if the end cap doesn't fit the 77/22, then I have different threads and may need a pro to sort it out. I'm preparing myself for the sonic not fitting the 10/22, but also wondering if there is anything I might do if this turns out to be the case. TIA

Stay Free

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

If your sak mod fits the 77/22 but not the 10/22 then it is likely different threads, no need to try another which also works in the 77/22.

On the moderator there will often be a thread marking(1/2x20 UNF or 1/2x28 UNEF being common for .22 inch bullets).

If your range also has a shop stick your head in and ask could you borrow a mod to see would a 1/2x28 mod fit the 10/22(1/2x28 is the most common thread for factory threaded 10/22s).

If the 10/22 is indeed 1/2x28 then you have 2 options:

1 - get the 10/22 rethreaded.

2 - get a new mod for the 10/22.

Of these 2, 1st will be a lot more expensive and slower than the 2nd, but if you want to use the mods you already have then that's your only option there.

Personally I would go for 2, flog the sonic/sak mod, or even part exchange it with a shop for a 1/2x28 threaded one. Or keep it as a backup for the 77/22.

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭BSA International

10/22 factory barrels are usually 1/2x20 and after market, especially from US, are usually 1/2 x 28.

I reckon your 10/22 could be 1/2 x 28. Atec mods in that thread are out there for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

muzzle to muzzle

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,557 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Someone correct me if I have this wrong, but I always thought threading worked like this.

Count the crests on the threading of the rifle, your 77/22. If there are 9 then its 1/2" unf. If there are 13 then its 1/2" 28 unef. This is based on there being 20 crests over an inch for the 1/2" 20 unf and 28 crests over an inch on the 1/2" 28 unef.

Next time you handle the 10/22 count them as above. See if they match. If they don't then its a wrong thread on the 10/22 and you need to follow the advice by @otmmyboy2 .

If they do match then it could be poor threading on the 10/22. If the first thread is damaged it may prevent the mod from screwing on.

Ever try to tighten a bolt and its on the wrong thread or crossthreaded? Gets tight within the first turn.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

The threads are in fine condition, as I was careful not to force the mod on. It made sense to me that they must be different threads, but because they are both 22 rugers (even though one was threaded by a smith in Ireland) I had expected the threads to be the same.

I will be keeping the mods for the 77 and will pick up a nice new shiny one for the 10. Hopefully I can get it sorted this weekend.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

there is a android/mac app you can download for thread size to confirm👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭17hmr1

You could also try contact the person you bought it off and see what they say it is,that's if you still have contact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

All the 10/22 coming in from the US are 1/2x28 UNFE. The usual thread cut here is 12x20 UNF.

SAK do the UNFE but will be hard to find. Try Gunshop.ie as they carry a lot of Ruger parts

• Registered Users Posts: 15,023 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

You can also buy an adapter or get any competent machine shop to run you up one a male/female 1/2X20 to1/2X28 bored thru at a safe .22 dia hole. Some lad in Poland makes them and sells them on ebay for a variety of adapters. Been using one on my .308 for the muzzle break for years with no problems.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Wadi14

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭JP22

Wadi14 got there before me, well done. 😎

This French site has lots of adaptors.

Advertisement