Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of living

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,032 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭babyducklings1

Does anyone have a breakdown of where exactly costs have increased?

Ok petrol/ diesel is obvious.

Electricity dunno yet till bill comes .

Have heard restaurant meal prices have gone up but haven’t seen it. ( not saying it isn’t true)

What else has gone up?

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭NiceFella

Op, find out what's up with your electric bill. Are you mining bitcoin or something? 600 quid is a massive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,003 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This sums it up for me as well.

200 off the ESB bill (even though it's the gas that goes up significantly this time of the year) but that's all this is worth to me.

Another FU to the squeezed middle , expecially if you live outside Dublin. Their public transport reduction (yep that's the Greens influence alright) doesn't cover private operators either - I pretty much drive everywhere anyway, but the one BE route serving the town was withdrawn a few years ago anyway as they couldn't compete with the 2 private companies.

Nothing on diesel or home heating oil, other utilities, or pretty much anything else that the average person is seeing significantly higher prices on.

Yep I hear you , I live so rural , even the crows flying over bring a packed lunch 😁

Whilst I own my home, small mortgage , there was nothing for renters, Middle income earners travelling distances to work. I was shocked (if its true) that 390k households in receipt of fuel allowance and the €125 one off payment welcome as to the €200 electric rebate.

Those renting and paying unsustainable rents will be rightly furious , along with those on low to middle incomes.

I honestly don't know what the answer is but if government seriously think these measures will make a serious difference to people's circumstances, they are clearly deluded.

Michael Mc Grath on morning Ireland taking shtye , going on about the alleged exceptional needs payment available from local Intero centres, clearly he nor a single government TD has visited a local Intero Centre in years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Why is public transport suddenly synonymous with the Luas? I've used it a half a dozen times but I will get the benefit of the welcome bus and train reduction.

If your ESB bill is 600 euros, the problem is that you are using too much electricity. It's a ridiculous number, irrespective of whether there's a so-called cost of living crisis.

As it happens, I don't believe that there's a crisis at all. It's just the same lazy people using this as an excuse to extract more free money out of government, all the while doing precious little to improve their lot at all in life - forever, in the past - in the present - and in the future.

• Advertisement

We're do I start.

Basic household shopping across a range of products.

Utilities: I've not have my bill yet but have access to daily costs, it's jumped by at least 30%

Home Heating oil (extraordinarily expensive)

Diesel, Petrol which you mentioned

Building Materials / Gardening Materials

Rents for those Renting

My biggest fear is anticipated ECB interest rate Rise and by all accounts its coming, this will cause serious problems for those with mortgages, even small ones if people already struggling (and they are)

Etc etc etc

I agree on the bill, that is way too high but it's quite harsh to label people as lazy. Energy costs have skyrocketed and if you are like most people with your heat on all day at this time of year you will feel it. As others above have said if you need your car for transport the effect is very noticeable, up to one day less a week on €40 in my case. Given our last two years and the present inflation pressures it is the right move by government. I don't there is any perfect solution to all of these current problems but it looks like an attempted compromise between and the expensive Opposition Christmas gifts.

It's people complaining about relatively small numbers.

You'll hear complaints like, "Oh my god, the local restaurant has increased their prices by 10%!".

So that's 1.50 euros on a standard meal. #costoflivingcrisis

You'll even hear complaints about food going up in supermarkets by 20 cents.

This stuff is just embarrassing. To call it a "crisis" is an insult to what a real crisis looks like in the world.

But these same people, who can actually afford it, have no issues at all spending money on alcohol, cigarettes, and other luxuries. They want to have their cake and eat it.

This so-called cost of living crisis is a first-world problem, of relatively well off people compared to the rest of the world, complaining about modest price increases at a time when they're bad money managers elsewhere in their life.

And so they turn to the government in the hope of receiving free money.

If you can't afford something, stop buying it or stop using it. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭lalababa

I have often lived frugally on welfare quite easily, albeit on a relatively low rent (but without rent allowance or fuel allowance) . I can appreciate those on low incomes and with high (for their incomes) rent or mortgage payments, might get upset if alot of everyday items and expenses have risen 20% etc. Even those on reasonable incomes might feel the squeeze if they are not budgeting well.

I could still live quite well on the current welfare setup.

Ireland (apparently !) Is the 2nd richest country in the world (behind belgium) with a GDP per capita of 90k US dollars. I'd imagine this is squed because of the paper shuffling of Google and apple et al.

What am I trying to say?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

The comment about the mortgage rates being the highest in Europe is actually wrong as the rates in Czech Republic are a lot higher than Ireland (4.5 - 5.5)

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭B2021M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Good for you! Only problem some of us have, is that everytime we pay an extra €20-30 now to fill up on petrol/ diesel, we're paying for your good fortune.

This government has managed somehow or other to talk about rising fuel costs, wring their hands and then for the people most affected, do sweet f**k all about it.

A 20% cut in motor fuels would help like. Oh but wait, that'd be over the Greens dead bodies.

I use all forms of transport and yes the fuel increases affect me too. My point was about transport not just being the Luas, but it's all that Ryan knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭billyhead

Yeh but people will need to budget. Do you need that Sky subscription. Do you need a monthly bill pay phone. There's Gomo and the likes. Do you need 2 cars. Can you not walk more than drive 2km down the road. Cut back on alcohol consumption. Work out in the fresh air than having a gym subscription. Move gas and electricity to a cheaper supplier. Same with Insurance. The list is endless.

I'm not sure were it refers to but there's absolutely no denying Irish Mortgage rates have and continue to be the highest in Europe and possibly the world , I'm specifically referring to older, historical mortgages , 3/4% .

The old excuse we hear about banks here having to retain higher levels of capital is the reason, is utter nonsense, this was a requirement because of the financial crash , the one were banks were actually bailed out.

What excuse, I often wonder can be used for the outrageous interest rates charged for decades before the crash. I get Ireland is a relatively small market bit Irish Mortgage holders have been gouged for decades, that's a simple fact.

Having a budget should be part of your life once you're old enough to earn your own money, a very key life skill IMO. Know people who look for new suppliers of services and utilities religiously every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J_1980

How about buying a cheap Japanese car with a small engine instead?

instead of adjustments it’s always free government handouts… lol

the next Troika bailout is going an epic sh**show. Popcorn time.

That old chestnut, move suppliers, shopping around 🙄 , you are aware all utility companies have hiked prices 🤔 , are you aware its not straightforward change health insurer , for example age, existing health condition and that's if you can even afford it. Mortgages, very complex and can take months, absolutely not an option to change if a customer had the slightest difficulty previously with their mortgage .

Fair enough, Home, car insurance, TV subscriptions etc but over all its unfair to suggest just shopping around is a solution, particularly those already struggling.

As for GoMo , I'm on the €9.99 PM offer 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

• Registered Users Posts: 20 gettingold2013

Lol harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

This free money will have to be paid back one day.

I'll agree that some people are suffering for sure, and I'm all in favour of helping them, but others are just jumping on the bandwagon and complaining because their luxuries are a little dearer.

If people are giving out about the cost of food in a restaurant, it isn't a crisis for them, it's more of a bit of an inconvenience. Because if it was a crisis, they wouldn't be even thinking about going to a restaurant.

Here, here, I dont know, some people have it good out there. We can't walk 12 Miles to a shop. We don't have houses either side helping with keeping the wind away. Obviously a lot of people are still un aware of Autism can't just stop the TV. Broadband and phone signal crap, so if another heart attack, and no signal how do we get help no neighbours.

Most adults once they become financially independent learn to budget. At the best of times, budgeting and planning with their disposable income is pretty much a requirement. The idea that this is something that most people don't already do is terribly dismissive of their concerns.

The problem with cost of living is that many of us remember what prices were like ten or twenty years ago, and are comparing them to now. That's the issue rather than a slight increase happening this year. We can see the near-yearly increases, some slight drops, but the costs increasing beyond what it was in the past. These prices tend to become embedded with the cost increases ultimately being higher than the dips that might happen one year, but the increases happen for the previous five. And it all adds up, seen through the budgeting, as the disposable income becomes more and more strained to compensate.

Ireland has become an expensive country to live in.. in many areas, taxation and pricing are higher than other European countries, and there's no real indication that the prices will level out for an extended period of time. Instead, due to covid, government spending, Brexit, world market conditions, we're likely to see many further increases to compensate.. and that's along with the high prices that exist today.

So.. I don't think it's unreasonable to be concerned with the cost of living here. This country shouldn't be as expensive as it is, unless we had state-of-the-art services/infrastructure, which we don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

You are unlucky that you live in such a remote location with your particular set of circumstances. No easy answers unfortunately.

And don't forget, they say any unused credit from that 200 euro will carry forward to the next bill...hahahahaha yeah right

This remedy is a one off and the inflation issue is like a runaway train at present. It is a good political move, a necessary one IMO, especially as people try to reset themselves after the pandemic. We should be grateful it's not one of the opposition parties in charge as the bill would be three times this!

As we ease into warmer longer days the energy cost issues will subside but we will probably be stuck with some very high fuel prices and most likely inflation in other areas for most of the year. An interest rate adjustment by the ECB doesn't seem to be a priority at present and they are hampered by the financial needs of countries trying to dig their way out past COVID.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Or you could just stop whinging and use the EU freedom of movement to move to Spain etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Good to see the government get rightly criticized for their inflation package. Not enough done,very little for rural Ireland in relation to public transport reduction and overall the package not broad enough.

Irish Times also tweeting now that Paschal Donoghue has said USC was never a temporary measure. You got to hand it to these lads for their attempts at rewriting history.

Same, haven't noticed any huge increase in anything. E600 is mental for 3 people. Maybe someone is using the loft as a growhouse for a few extra quid?

Irish Times also tweeting now that Paschal Donoghue has said USC was never a temporary measure. You got to hand it to these lads for their attempts at rewriting history.

In principle it was and that's how they sold it but now at €4bn generated annually nobody has figured out an alternative to a pretty perfect income tax you can't avoid.

Yes in the country, not a lot we can do about it. Just annoying when people say as adults we should budget. The prices go up so fast..last week I paid 4.99 for my only luxury, garlic mayo ( I know it's sad lol) this week it's 7 euro, like how are you supposed to budget. 600 euro electric, we don't have water, we have a pumped well, so everytime we use water, flush toilets, drinking etc it uses more electric. The esb have us over a barrel in the winter especially. And 20 euro a week heating allowance just doesn't cover it.

Let's hope when you reach your old age you have no worries, it will always bite you in the arrrrse.

The reason Ireland has higher mortgage rates is that people expect to be able to stop paying their mortgage and still get to stay in the house, and this is backed up by law. Someone can stop paying their mortgage, go to court, give a sob story about kids and pay a minimal amount and stay until the kids are 18. No kids? Can still take years to get them out legally. And if you do, you could end up with a mob outside waiting for the sheriff to come along and try to evict them.

Ireland needs more evictions, more laws on the side of the banks and landlords, and a quicker turn over from non-payment to out on your arse. Thats whats needed, but if that were to happen there'd be murder for whatever party brought it in.

Me either. My electricity and Gas seem reasonable to me. I don't notice a huge difference. Maybe I haven't been keeping a close enough eye on it for the last few years and it has crept up unbeknownst to me.

So basically it's mass hysteria, there are no price hypes, nothing to worry about here then. Obviously you don't need to budget as you are getting good money coming in.

• Advertisement

What would you suggest be done?

The trouble is that to tackle inflation usually means some short-term hardship. Unfortunately that's not popular politically and we have a seriously weak-willed society which is reflected in our politicians. While short term pain could at least leave us in a stronger position down the line, throwing money at the issue will leave us even worse off in the medium and long term. But that's not today's problem, right?

I've been banging on since last summer about inflation. All the experts reckoned it'd just be a couple of months, but it keeps getting pushed out. The chip shortage has been dragging on for 2 years and keeps getting pushed back. The increase in transport (goods) cost is still running, queues haven't dissipated outside ports. And now those changes have all diffused into the wider economy of services etc. At the same time the external issues are still running. If they can get it under control in a year then maybe there won't be too big a fall in living standards but we really don't help ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

.....'more laws for the side of banks....'

Oh wake up. They'd no problems writing off €4,000,000 from Michael Lynn after only 10 months. Or Garrett Fitzgerald's debts also for that matter.

Banks ain't no angels here, and have no issues looking after their own at the expense others.

Yes, correct 😀 Relax....

My last electricity bill was €95 for two months and I work from home. Others in the house too.

Gas was reasonable too but can't remember the figure off hand. It has been a very mild winter though.

Your post has absolutely nothing to do with why mortgage rates are so high. But rant on....................

I make 35k a year, and rent in Co. Dublin. I'm hardly Rockefeller. Maybe I'm missing the self-pity gene?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,669 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Eh, it's a credit on your electricity account, not on one specific bill.

• Advertisement

Are you claiming Fuel Allowance (€33 per week for 28 weeks totalling €914 per year) and the Household Benefits Package that would contribute another €35 per month which you could offset towards your electricity bill?

I have to be honest, I think the supports paid toward fuel specific costs are quite generous, all things considered, totalling €1334 per year, or €25 per week over 52 weeks.

That would be the equivalent of €200 paid towards each bi-monthly bill.

In March / April , you will receive the €200 energy credit, plus an additional fuel allowance lump sum payment of €125 (if you're claiming it).

You need to find out why your energy bill is so high at over €600 for two months. I don't mean to be harsh, but the government can't regulate for your usage. Is the oil heater an oil filled radiator type? If so, I suspect that could be what is running up your bill.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Lol wow, good for you.

Are you in your 60's with heart disease and a son with Autism that relies on you. What it must be like to not have any worries, good on ya.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Can you see what grants you could get to improve the energy efficiency of the house to make it more comfortable for you. It would be worth talking to the public health nurse or OT to see if they can recommend grant aided schemes. Car wise, can you do a bigger shop so that you drive once in 10 days instead of every week. Sorry you are struggling hope it gets better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

A cheap Japanese car - is that your answer LOL!!

I've a much simpler solution as I do a little work for various public bodies - I just add an extra €50 here and €100 there to invoices. They tax me and I charge (tax) them more. What's not to like - that's how the real world works. And why we should all be very wary of inflation getting out of hand. Prices tend to rise but they rarely fall back and we're all poorer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement