Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RSJ as a Lintel

Options
  • 10-02-2022 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

Building a block garage (cavity wall) at the moment and struggling to get lintel options for two openings (3m & 5.2m)

I have some galvanized RSJs on site and was thinking of using them as lintels and build the final row or two of blocks on top of them. The roof will be flat, so there won't be huge weight on these.

Any suggestions on best course of action for making sure the mortar and blocks stick to the steel?

For plastering inside and out I was planning to fix timber to the inner web, slab flush with the block work with external render board and then some expanding metal. But again any better approaches would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭SC024

normally use steel for larger openings sitting on concrete pads either side. Steel should be sized / specced by engineer though. Could get expanding metal or similar tack welded to top of RSJ but not usually done. Fill in the web of steel on outside with 3 or 4 inch blocks depending on depth of web & cut to fit height.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,303 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I believe he was asking about the course on top of the steel, not the bearing points.

I’d go with expanded mesh on top personally.

Advertisement