Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in somerton new development

Options
  • 10-02-2022 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello All,

I have shown an interest on a resale house in Somerton (new castle road Lucan)new development. I would like to have some feedback about the community and safety in the area for a family with kids. Any inputs appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Hi Prads,

It's a nice quiet housing estate.

Generally everything else applies as per my last reply regarding Alderlie.

However if you need to take the train than it's a good bit more of a walk to the train station (about 20 minutes if you walk fast, otherwise half an hour).

That being said there are plenty of buses on the Newcastle road. Lucan Shopping centre is only a short stroll away.

If you fancy a pint then you can head to the Lord Lucan which is just across the road.

I haven't heard much about the antisocial behaviour but there are also a few houses rented by the local authorities.

There was one family who caused hassle but as far as I know they have been removed from the property.

I would have no issues buying in Somerton.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

+1 on this.

It's a great place to live - both the estate and wider Lucan area... there has been scrotes going around checking car doors on occassion but I think that happens everywhere tbh. One of the benefits of buying a new build is that everyone has brand new alarms, video door bells and cameras etc. and everyone is connected in the group WhatsApp. People literally cant get in or out of the estate without being spotted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 igord

Hi all, I might be in the same situation as the OP soon. I was wondering about a few things I noticed while walking around in the area. The park on Somerton Green is littered with plastic bottles and wrappers and there is some graffiti on the playground benches. That seems to carry over to Tandy's lane park as well with some amenities in the park broken already and some fences kicked down. Both parks are less than 2y old. I wonder how it's going to look in 10years time. Besides that with 500e+ maintenance fees for the shared spaces I would imagine there would be some bins in the park as well, which seem absent from the Somerton park at least.

As far as the houses go, I can see just a few possible attic conversions with garden side windows, so I was wondering if someone attempted to convert the attic and found any issues doing so?

Thanks!

Advertisement