Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What timber for basic outdoor seat on top of wall...

Options
  • 11-02-2022 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope this is the right forum!

Out the back, we want to screw down a bog-standard timber plank onto a wall for a bit of rough, outdoor seating. Literally just screwing down a plank. There is an old plank there which is not rotten (after many years), but some clown decided to damage it.

So, imagine the most rough, cheap, basic plank, BUT one that will last years.

What am I looking for? All I know so far is i'm looking for pressure treated. I want to fine sand it so it's very smooth (hence hopefully easier to wipe down with a cloth) and want to avoid moisture soak, so that if it's raining, it can be wiped down with a cloth. I know it won't be totally dry, but whatever the current plank is treated with this works perfectly and has been there for over 10 years. I am happy to treat it. I'm guessing I want to avoid any sort of oil sealer as there will be people sitting on it... or does this completely dry in after some time?

Thanks in advance - i'm clueless when it comes to timber!

Advertisement