Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wait Period for Health Insurance

• 11-02-2022 12:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭

Hello all,

I looking into buying a health policy from one of the three companies here.

Can anyone advise me as to the wait period before the policy kicks in.

For instance, I am scheduled for a biopsy next week and wonder if I buy the policy today will it cover the surgery?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

As far as I know for the first time buyer usual wait time 6 month and some preexisting medical conditions up to 2 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

It's worth taking it. My uncle's friend bought insurance cover 1100 euros per year. After 5 years he got really sick and undergo 3 surgical procedures in private hospital covered by insurance.

If no insurance he would have to pay 15k (5k for each operation)

Do the math.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Each policy has its own wait periods which you have to check. Nothing will cover pre-existing conditions that quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

I changed health insurers and have to wait 2 years before any pre-existing conditions will be covered by my new insurer. I know why they do it - so you don't get diagnosed and then rush out to get health insurance but it's bloody frustrating. It would be like buying car insurance and then being told you're not covered for any accidents for 2 years.

Advertisement