Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this HP i5 laptop good value ?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

You may want to read through this thread for a similar issue:

4GB is minimal, and any serious usage will be hampered by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭mondeo

I checked on crucial website, ram can be expanded to 32GB

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

32GB would be overkill, 16GB would be a comfortable amount, so long as you're happy with the extra expenditure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭ozmo

Looks very good value - even an extra 4 gigs to get it to 8gigs ram would make it a very serviceable laptop - 16 would be perfect though.

downsides are:

The graphics are just Intel Iris XE - only suitable for the basic and older games. 

No ethernet port and not the latest wifi - ok for most things, but I do prefer a wired ethernet connection myself - I suppose you could get a USB C ethernet adapter if you need gigabit speeds.

Microsoft 365 & internet security

Know the regulars here will be aware - but for anyone else reading this thread consider all those addons if they are worth it to you of course - how they make their money...

• Microsoft 365 (it's great - but best buy it outright not rent per year)
    • internet security (McAfee) - nah, consider staying with Windows Defender
    • Currys insurance - debatable if worth it when EU consumer rights gives you over a year against defects anyway?

“Roll it back”

I reserved one online for store pick up tommorow. I'll upgrade the ram in it fairly quickly to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Not exact same model but should be similar enough for RAM upgrade. Would probably recommend using an iFixit kit or mobile phone repair kit of that ilk. Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9Q7OOSwqA4

Post edited by mondeo on

Anyone buy it and upgrade the ram? Is it s mode and do you need to log in to change it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Just a warning on the HP 15s series - regardless of processor/ram - I purchased a 15s-eq-1542sa for c. €300 as a mega budget laptop for an elderly relative. (It was fine, albeit still clunky despite ssd, but only 4gb ram, and slow boot up).

BUT - the case/lid is really thin and you can press into it with minimal finger pressure - this, combined with a screen that is glued (from what I can tell online) and also mega thin, means that you don't want to put even what could be considered nominal pressure on the lid. And certainly not, as my elderly relative did, place a cup of hot tea on the lid when laptop closed - the heat destroyed the lcd, and this would not have happened with a case that had some strength to it. I wouldn't have thought this was sufficient to do such damage, but it occurred directly after they recalled doing so.

I've since looked at the lid again, so pliable and cheap. Buyer beware - as Currys said no warranty fix, as deemed customer damage.

Advertisement