Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The HORIZON Irish Open

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,144 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

There's always going to be complaints when it comes to TV coverage. I thought Sky did a decent job and (as they always tend to do) really did their best to heap praise on the Irish fans and sell Ireland as a golfing destination.

Having the JP McManus event starting yesterday was probably a big draw on their resources that they don't normally have to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,892 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is Adare Manor on the rota for an irish open? It should be if it's down for the Ryder Cup. Far superior course to mount Juliet imo and much better viewing experience also.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭benny79

I went Saturday brought my young lad whos not into golf trying my hardest there 😂 but had a great day he got his picture taken with his "first ever famous person to see/meet" in Shane Lowry what a gent. Also got pictures later on with Padraig & Seamus all by chance.. But great day all round taught the tented village was great better than most years and all free just bad ques at times. My only gripe would be lack of TV screens on the course very hard to know what was going on. Bare in mind though my last golf event was The Open in Liverpool when Spieth won. But have to say it was a great day out.

Rory signed up for next year apparently, things looking up already!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Motivator

I wonder did he opt out this year because McDowell was due to host it at Mount Juliet? McDowell only pulled out in the last couple of weeks I think?

• Advertisement

I would think 2026, the year before the Ryder Cup. It would be the ideal opportunity to show it off over 4 days and I’d say they’ll be keen to get a big event held there to highlight what changes need to be made for the following year. 15 months out from the Ryder Cup is about the time the captain will be making his suggestions and setting the course up his way.

Funny you mention Adare is a better viewing experience than Mount Juliet, I couldn’t disagree more with you there. No hole in Mount Juliet is a bad viewing hole in my opinion. 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 17th and 18th all quality holes from literally any area on the hole from tee to green. By all accounts, Adare is the opposite going on what people have been reporting back.

Well we'll agree to disagree, Mount Juliet was an absolute bottleneck.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Oh I do agree with you there, but that was due to crowds. Viewing wise if you didn’t follow the main groups I thought it was fantastic. No matter what course in the world you’re at, if you have 10,000 people battling for a spot on a fairway or green you’re at nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Adare was not a better viewing spectacle than Mount Juliet at all. Too hilly with blind shots etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Nah it was because he was signed up to play 3 weekends in a row over in the US prior to last weekend and he knew he was coming to Ireland for the Pro Am anyway. He'll be playing the next two weekends too so had to get a break in somewhere.

• Advertisement

I attended the weekend at Mount Juliet and both days in Adare, and think Mount Juliet is far inferior as a viewing course. Adare was accommodating at least 10k more people every day, and still I didn't find it to be a very tough viewing course at all.

Obviously there will be amendments made to the course for the Ryder Cup, but Mount Juliet would in no way be capable of hosting an event like that.

When I think of Mount Juliet in both years from 2021 and 2022 I just associate it with bottlenecks everywhere.

That's exactly what I was saying, no way would Mount Juliet take the crowds that Adare can.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I don't think we'll see Adare host an Irish Open ahead of the RC, the RC has already been given, I'd say it's more likely to host a WGC if anything

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Agreed on that. It’s ‘too big’ for an Irish Open imo

• Registered Users Posts: 21,329 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Bit of talk around this moving to end of August/early September and being final event for European ryder cup qualifying. Would be a good move, although be surprised if it displaced Wentworth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭coillcam

Did a quick google and the only recent source is the indo from what I can see. Would be fantastic if it becomes a more significant event on the calendar. Whether it's before/after Wentworth, it would still get a massive boost in profile. All the top Euro players will be scrambling for the last RC points and trying to finish strong for the wildcard picks. Any of the US/international players coming over for Wentworth will likely play it also if their schedule allows.

All bodes well if they can get the intended date. A quality field, larger profile, better attendance etc. More sponsors become attracted and Lowry/Rory/Power/Paddy/RC captain/VCs will 100% attend. All of this could eventually lead to Rolex status again though I think it's unlikely to receive dual-sanctioned status with PGA.

I'd imagine it'd need a significant commercial deal on headline sponsor over the long term to get near dual status. You'd have to be adjusting the main PGA tour schedule and I'm sure there are some long-term locked-in deals that could be conflicting.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭paulos53

That week is between the FedEx Cup playoffs and Wentworth. That doesn't seems like a good week to attract top players.

There won't be many players who will commit to playing 5 weeks in a row so the event would be relying on late entries from players who fail to make the PGA Tour finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭coillcam

If FedEx is so close then forget about the elite US guys being involved. Late in the season and then extra travelling is needed... they're probably thinking of Pina Coladas tbf. Still, it can 100% get the best Euro players and a few PGA guys who get cut from the playoffs.

Advertisement