Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2022/2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭JohnSmith98

It's 8.8 on a the bleep test right? Which is only around 1800 meters. Give or take. Of which the first 400-600ish meters are barely faster than a walk. Unless you're overweight you should be fine with it

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

I work a desk job and never really do cardio in the gym. Started running at the start of June, took me over a month to do couch to 5km. Able to run the 5k now and still can’t get passed level 7 in the beep test. I’d just say don’t under estimate it, and start preparing for it now if you feel your not the fittest. There will obviously be people here who will smash level 8.1 or 8.8 depending on your age group. But if you have any doubts like I did, get working at it as soon as ya can

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fluffypatcat

Thanks lads for that 👍 It's hard to get motivated for it when we have no idea yet about passing the interview but yeah, best to just get on with it incase especially when they're talking about September/October intake.

I'm not even being funny but how can you possibly be able to do 5Ks but not get past 7 on a bleep test? Level 7 is only about 1400 meters as to opposed to the 5000 involved in a 5K. And the first 400ish meters are a slow walk

Also obviously you'd have to do some preparation but you're being asked to run 1.8km essentially with the first 400ish meters being a fast walk. It's not that difficult. And this is coming from someone who absolutely despises running. For how long the application process is you'd be absolutely gutted to beat out 1000s of other people and then miss out because you failed a relatively simple fitness test.

TLDR-Start running. Don't fail your application over arguably the easiest part

You make a valid point, but you need to take into consideration, the beep test is not running in one straight easy line. Its 20 meters then turn and go again. My fastest 5km so far is 29mins, which I’m happy with but lets be fair, I’m not exactly able for the faster pace (yet). Its the turning and going again where I’m struggling. There are technique’s on Youtube for the best way to turn, working on those each time I try it. I assumed though being able to the 5k, I’d smash the beep test but it doesn’t work that way. I’m currently now running one day, beep test the next, and repeating that process until I can comfortably smash it.

also, you can’t argue it’s possibly the easiest part, for you maybe, not for everyone else. Numbers I’m good with, that would be the part I’d of argued throughout the entire process I’d of felt most comfortable with, from stage 1. Some are good with words, the interview may be the easiest part for them. everyone is different

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭PCO2019

—-

Post edited by PCO2019 on

Fair enough it's different for different people but as someone who's not at all athletic the fitness tests seems easy. You know exactly what you need to do, can easily practise it and have had months to prepare. To pass the rest of the process but fail at the physical stage would be soul destroying

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭macmathuna1

If lads can only motivate themselves to start getting fit from the time they get a date to do the physical, they are the ones that will balloon in weight as soon as they out of college and no more testing done..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭blinkinghinds

For what it's worth I don't think going out practicing 5k or 10k runs is all that good for beep tests, particularly if you are not fit in the first place. Running at that distance you are naturally just going to stay at a pace you can manage and make slow improvements to your VO2 max.

As others have said you're being asked to do a 1.5km trot that ends with sprints. Sprint intervals or HIIT exercises (basically any lung bursting excercise) will bring you on far more in a short period of time.

Fair **** to anyone considering becoming a Gard. The scrotage I witnessed coming out of Connolly alone yesterday would be enough to turn me away from the idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Stretch1432

It's a thankless job . More paperwork involved than can you imagine. You don't get to properly investigate crime , it's a box ticking excercise. And the only ones to suffer are the victims of crime .

makes sense, and explains why I can jog 5km but only hit 7 on the beep test. Cheers for this advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ThatsNotRightMichael

Good advice on bleep, regarding push ups and sit ups don't underestimate them. Had interview and feel so **** for not adding to it the stuff I thought of after... sure look it! Best of look to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fluffypatcat

Don't worry, I was exactly the same after the interview.. thought of loads of stuff I wanted to say or should have added but there isn't that much time really in the interview by the time 5 competencies are covered. I think it's normal enough after an interview to start picking holes in what you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mc123

How long does the interview last 30 minutes?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SausageRoll7

45 minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 10 GH22

• Registered Users Posts: 5 waitingroom

Question for anyone who has completed the interview are they looking 2 example for each and are they out straight asking each competence or smoke and mirror job

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Spook22

I've seen a few people asking this, so I'll answer as best I can.

As much of a cop out as it sounds (pun not intended), it depends.

• It will depend on your panel as to how transparent their quesitoning style will be
    • It will depend on how good your examples are if they ask you for a second to support the first

My panel chair laid out which member would be asking each competency, so that was helpful, and I was able to use just one example for each.

They will inevitably continue pushing you no matter how well you perform.

One of their goals is to see how you react under pressure, so expect to find yourself in that position.

Their objective is to make sure you meet the requirements, and not to catch you out though, so they wont ask you something vague and then claim you didnt adress something specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 waitingroom

@Spook22

Cheers thanks a million for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 hoops67

This is a great explanation of how it went I think. I had two examples prepared for each and I used two for some of the competency’s but found they threw a curveball or two aswell so I couldn’t just rhyme off my examples. I was glad I had two prepared as I used them as examples for different competency’s when I had to think on my feet

• Registered Users Posts: 45 deanrm

Very helpful @Spook22

Appreciate the advice alot and your comments are always concise 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭macmathuna1

This Wednesday will be 3 weeks since batch 2 completed report writing so that's roughly how long batch one had to wait (3.5 weeks I think it was)

Batch 2 was good bit bigger so could be waiting longer but fingers crossed hear something this week and things start moving again.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cluedo123

Keep doing the 5km as this will only be a positive for your overall fitness, but do try interval training too, sprint 15 seconds, walk 30, sprint 25 seconds, walk 40 secs etc... Mix it up and keep it interesting. The stop starting is the toughest part as you’re constantly trying to build up speed only to stop again Be consistent and self motivated with your training and train with a partner if you can, it will help!

Push Ups/Sits Ups - watch the video on YouTube to understand the form they require. These can be better daily by practice. If you have to do 35 sit ups in 60 seconds, aim for at least 40 during training, with some time to spare.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 SausageRoll7

How are people finding the interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Mxrrk

Well lads, has anyone got a whatsapp group or something set up that's a little bit more active than this thread? I know in recent years they had similar

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

There was one set up earlier in the year but a few members ended up being trigger happy sharing information that was inappropriate. Honest mistake, they were just excited really but just a word of advice to anyone getting involved in a WhatsApp group: keep things focused on the competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 deanrm

Is there anyone from the first batch willing to give us an insight into the layout of how the interview went 🤔🕵‍♂️

Is it just a quick intro. Then straight into the 5 competences? ,And if so how do they word the question ? (I did read material online and from books/courses but you'd be puzzled in regards to the accuracy of that information ) !

And is it only them or do they check your knowledge on the modules in training or ask general questions?

Also do they ask us do we have any questions ourselves ?

I'm just curious as to how bland they are with the whole thing.

Any advice or explanation of experience with this would be a great help.

Cheers 🤝.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭blinkinghinds

Don't mean to be to be pedantic but I think everyone should be aware there is clear instructions in the stage 3 familiarisation booklet not to share info about the selection process/interview publicly or you may be disqualified, giving specific information about the interview is almost definitely included in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 AshleyOH23

Hi guys, I’ve done the interview just a waiting game now. I really want to leave my current role though regardless! Would it cause an issue if I was to leave now and then find out I’d passed the interview? As in would they be looking for anything specific from my current role?

Advertisement