Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2022/2023

Options

Comments

Just finished mine there, although I know it’s designed to trick you up I thought the answers in the scenario section were far too similar and the numerical reasoning section some of the wording in the questions made zero sense, not feeling too confident even after doing GardaIP stage one course the last few weeks. Best of luck to anyone yet to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mann2022

Have just finished . I would be fairly good at maths but the last section was hard to understand a lot of it and what to do . Hope it went ok though .

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭leheaven

I am so nervous now after reading the comments. Maths was never my strong subject. I'm thinking I'll sit the exams over the weekend. Is there anything you guys would recommend I do before actually sitting them? This is my second time going for the guards, we didn't have a numerical test the last time. I made it to stage 4 and if I don't pass stage 1 this time around I will actually be devasted. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LukeMurph

Same here, I just carried out my tests after doing plenty of practice through carseerservices. The last 2 questions of the numerical reasoning completely had me lost. The rest of it went well I feel so hopefully its enough 🤞

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Big Tom

I have been practicing SOVA type assessments online for Verbal and Numerical, as they mentioned in the booklet.

Can anyone say if the questions in Stage 1 exam are similar to that of the types that you find online with SOVA format.

Getting a bit panicky over the numerical too, any advice for what to look over would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement

They are the same as the few practise material questions sent within the public jobs link but I found being under exam settings just made them seem that bit harder, as for the paid versions of sova tests online I’m not sure if they follow the same pattern

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Mann2022

I was too busy doing the career service one I paid for and didn’t see that sova link . After trying it and did fairly good . Typical but I still think it was a lot harder

• Registered Users Posts: 6 reimay

Hey all, pretty nervous doing the first test after reading everyone’s comments!

I have done the practice tests but just wondering from the people that have done it what types of numerical testing it is in the questions? Percentages/ratios?

After doing it, does anyone think the career services / Garda IP courses were worth investing in for practice?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 niall1996

I completed the assessment in full there yesterday. The assessment questionnaire is fine, verbal was tough, the numerical was grand for the first few questions and then it got super tough I don't know how in gods name they expect us to answer all the questions fast. You need to be putting a lot of hours into the practice questions but there was questions at the end of the numerical assessment that I was not prepared for nor did career services prepare us for. Good luck with your assessment!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 niall1996

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jahcork

just did the tests, numerical was hard. hopefully did enough to pass it

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Physeter

Just finished there. Verbal and Numerical were surprisingly tough but mostly just took more time than I would of liked. Lots of layered questions in numerical.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭PCO2019

Does anyone know how the scores are calculated ? Does the PAS follow the norm when it comes to exams where 40% is deemed to be a Pass & overall would we need a score of 40% or 40% in both the numerical & verbal ? I know those scores are woeful but I think a lot of candidates seem to be have been caught with the numerical, I certainly was and I had even done the career services course. 40% of 15 would equate to 6 correct answers in each module.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Capricorn19

Hey! This is my 3rd attempt at these exams (passed interviews etc twice) and that was the worst I have felt afterwards.. I found the verbal quite difficult the numerical was OK for the most part just the odd tricky questions.. not feeling the best after that.. these exams shouldn't define if you should be a guard or not...

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jahcork

what happened after you passed the interviews? did you fail the fitness ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 conorshortall11

Just wondering for the graphs did anyone else not get the percentages up for them on the actual graph? You have to kinda half guess the exact %? Also for some reason I finished the numerical section in 30 minutes but it's saying it took me one hour just wondering should I be able to bring this up by emailing them so they could rectify this as the overall time taken contributes towards the final result. The numerical was extremely difficult😪😪😪

• Registered Users Posts: 2 conorshortall11

Does anyone know if there is a standard pass rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Fluffypatcat

Hey All. Reading the comments it looks likes alot feel the same way about the numerical especially, although I feel the verbal was tricky in one or two spots also. I'm actually so annoyed, I did both career services, Garda ip and I paid €50 for the numerical masterclass Garda ip held and they barely touched on the maths problems asked in the numerical bar a couple of percentages. Looks like they want rid of big numbers in the first stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 roisinoharaa

I just done mine there.. I did the career services one.. **** me was the actual exam a different ball game?? I found the numerical super difficult. Jesus if I get passed this stage it will be a miracle. After spending weeks studying so hard and I feel so disheartened now, but anyways here’s to hoping🤞🏻 Anyone else find there was a few grammatical errors and like things worded so difficulty was awful for me. Best of luck to everyone else!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Query101

Career service added a new Numerical exam in the same format as the official test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Capricorn19

Feel same.. way some things were worded were difficult to understand what they were looking for 😕 I think majority here think same...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tipp96

Do all 3 exams have to be done in one sitting?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Willie Stroker 1976

I think its recommended but you don’t have to take them all in one go

You’re probably better off doing them all in one go

Like I’m eafter doing 3 difficult years in college science and maths… and nothing was as complicated as that and hard to understand maths was impossible and I’ve done tough maths for the last 3 years , do you think I could understand our exam.. not a chance I dunno how anyone is meant to do that at all. I really do hope we all get on alright it’s clear we’ve all tried so hard and put a lot of effort in

Hopefully it will be your last year doing numerical and verbal reasoning tests and ya wont be doing them for another 6/7 years if ya find these so easy. Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 BorderHopper123

Hello all,

stupidly worked nights all weekend without realising the deadline was today.

the numeracy questions were abysmal. Having seen everyone’s comments here it would appear everyone feels the same.

for the verbal reasoning I found I answered false to almost everything 😂 god knows how it all went to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 EoghanG23

having done the tests on Friday, I was very disappointed also with how the numerical test went compared to how well I had been doing with practice tests for the last number of weeks. I only hope that the pass qualifying standard for the numerical is lower than the other 2 tests given how many other people have had issues with it also. Didn't have too many issues with the verbal reasoning or the questionnaire

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭leheaven

I feel exactly the same way. I don't think I could have done anymore to prepare for that numerical test. I expected to do a lot better, just hoping I got enough right to pass.

• Advertisement

We’re all done now anyway so the waiting game begins😬 it said by Mid May so hopefully it could be sooner

Advertisement